Gingerbread is totally crap (for the time being)

ibrooks123

Reaction score
So I had been seeing tons of thread on this Gingerbread OS. Reading up I learned it is simply the leaked version of the new Operating System that is still unreleased to OTA (stock) users. Since I am rooted, I wanted to check it out; I had already been thru 10 ROMs and 30 themes, so why not??

Let me tell you: phone processor seems to be functioning much slower. (I've frozen unnecessary bloatware)

3G download speeds on the same file from the same website at nearly the same time of day are only DLing at 50% of their normal.

And all though the awesome developers that have made so many awesome ROMs for us to play with, nothing except Liberty is available at this time(and I can't even try that because my TB that is a clean and donate version from the market) force closes and tells me toplay revert back to Froyo.

Im certainly not complaining! ! Just want to warn people that its a lot of work for literally a 98% drop in fun and personalization.

If someone more experienced can find a way to fix these problems please let me know :p

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Damn, im running the Gb leak and im loving it. Sorry, that you don't like it and having problems. I can't wait till GJ comes out on the GB build tho.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
I

ibrooks123

Reaction score
Its the "little things" that bother me. They should have given an option for the dock. I hate that threshold only 4 buttons. I know u can change then, but im OCD and always had my drawer button on the center of all 3 rotating docks. The fact that its not much more customizable is a little disapointing to me. What is it about the new OS you like?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its the "little things" that bother me. They should have given an option for the dock. I hate that threshold only 4 buttons. I know u can change then, but im OCD and always had my drawer button on the center of all 3 rotating docks. The fact that its not much more customizable is a little disapointing to me. What is it about the new OS you like?

i feel you for sure but think about the stock froyo dock. only three icons that weren't able to be changed at all.

OP
I

ibrooks123

Reaction score

i feel you for sure but think about the stock froyo dock. only three icons that weren't able to be changed at all.

You're totally right, however, I mentioned my OCD and I liked the drawer button being in the middle for whatever crazy reason, it just made sense.

Also, it appears that my phone never stops syncing. Even tho I have it set on the nighttime battery mode and have actually totally disabled all forms of sync, the icon is still there and its bugging me. I guess since its a leak I can understand its not perfect yet, but I still prefer my Froyo for the time being and will most likely flash back. Also, it was mentioned that Liberty was available for GB in the toolbox. However, it force closes, doesn't do anything properly, and when I opened it up(one of the few times it didnt FC) it told me that I needed to go back to 340 in order to use it. So, how do I get Liberty installed? Ignore the warnings and write over it?

Howie Dub

Reaction score
In order to get rid of the sync icon, you have to wipe from the privacy menu in settings. After that, the icon should not stay on anymore. That worked for me.

Swyped from my Droid X while doing a #2

skennelly

Reaction score

You're totally right, however, I mentioned my OCD and I liked the drawer button being in the middle for whatever crazy reason, it just made sense.

Also, it appears that my phone never stops syncing. Even tho I have it set on the nighttime battery mode and have actually totally disabled all forms of sync, the icon is still there and its bugging me. I guess since its a leak I can understand its not perfect yet, but I still prefer my Froyo for the time being and will most likely flash back. Also, it was mentioned that Liberty was available for GB in the toolbox. However, it force closes, doesn't do anything properly, and when I opened it up(one of the few times it didnt FC) it told me that I needed to go back to 340 in order to use it. So, how do I get Liberty installed? Ignore the warnings and write over it?

You have to be on .340 and upgrade to gb liberty from there. It's telling you you have to be on froyo well, because you have to be on froyo.

To stop the sync issue on gb you either have to wipe data or freeze/rename the blur_sync.apk (might not be the exact name).

Sent from my DROIDX

turdbogls

Reaction score

dont take this to hard. but are you serious?
First, you obviously did not install it correctly otherwise you sync icon would not be on continuously. Wipe Data/cach and it will go away, along with most of your other problems

as for the dock, you can still download Launcher Pro, ADW, or GO launcher and get the app drawer in the middle, WITH your scrolling/looping Dock. and if you want, you can use the stock app drawer with the other launchers. create a shortcut and choose "app groups all"

sorry for being rude, but you should have read the instructions better. i know for a fact on every install procedure i read it says to wipe data/cache or at least do that if you have the constant sync icon
simple fix to get you where you need to be: boot into clockwork, wipe data/cache/dalvic cache (under advanced) maybe re-flash the GB file/files and start fresh.

i have been on the GB leaks since the first day and they have always been faster than any other 2.2 ROM i have run. and this latest leak is AMAZING with ZERO problems.
sorry you have issues, but you kinda brought it on yourself. :(

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

dont take this to hard. but are you serious?
First, you obviously did not install it correctly otherwise you sync icon would not be on continuously. Wipe Data/cach and it will go away, along with most of your other problems

as for the dock, you can still download Launcher Pro, ADW, or GO launcher and get the app drawer in the middle, WITH your scrolling/looping Dock. and if you want, you can use the stock app drawer with the other launchers. create a shortcut and choose "app groups all"

sorry for being rude, but you should have read the instructions better. i know for a fact on every install procedure i read it says to wipe data/cache or at least do that if you have the constant sync icon
simple fix to get you where you need to be: boot into clockwork, wipe data/cache/dalvic cache (under advanced) maybe re-flash the GB file/files and start fresh.

i have been on the GB leaks since the first day and they have always been faster than any other 2.2 ROM i have run. and this latest leak is AMAZING with ZERO problems.
sorry you have issues, but you kinda brought it on yourself. :(

I think I agree with this. I didnt have the sync icon thing happen to me. I had to SBF back to stock Froyo and did a complete wipe of everything when I first installed GB. I'm on the first GB leak and my phone is running fine. Cant wait to try out the latest leak.

I tried to go from Apex to GB but got stuck on the bootloader screen when the leak first came out since some ppl said they did that and it worked. So maybe that was a blessing in disguise since I had to wipe everything anyway after that.

But this is normal. I remember when Froyo first came out for the Droid 1. The majority of us were very happy with it, saw and felt the improvements over 2.1. But, there were some ppl that Froyo didnt work right for. It did more harm than good. So you saw some Froyo sucks!! threads popping up here n there. Its hard to tell why some things works for some and doesnt for others.

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
So I had been seeing tons of thread on this Gingerbread OS. Reading up I learned it is simply the leaked version of the new Operating System that is still unreleased to OTA (stock) users. Since I am rooted, I wanted to check it out; I had already been thru 10 ROMs and 30 themes, so why not??

Let me tell you: phone processor seems to be functioning much slower. (I've frozen unnecessary bloatware)

3G download speeds on the same file from the same website at nearly the same time of day are only DLing at 50% of their normal.

And all though the awesome developers that have made so many awesome ROMs for us to play with, nothing except Liberty is available at this time(and I can't even try that because my TB that is a clean and donate version from the market) force closes and tells me toplay revert back to Froyo.

Im certainly not complaining! ! Just want to warn people that its a lot of work for literally a 98% drop in fun and personalization.

If someone more experienced can find a way to fix these problems please let me know :p

Simply...allow me to "help" you out a bit...

1) Liberty ROM is for Froyo...not Gingerbread...so its no surprise the Liberty Toolbox you donated for doesnt work. Thats not Googles fault, or a fault of the GB OS...its your fault for not paying attention and reading...

2) So you are saying the OS is killing your 3G speed. Weird, seeing as the updated radio in GB should have increased your signal reception...or did you forget to go back in and redo *228 a couple days after installing GB?

3) If your phone is slower...you are doing it wrong! Plain and simple, GB is faster than GB on Droid X`s...users across the Andrid Forums bear this out... Make sure you do a Data Reset after the install...it "cures" most issues on the GB releases...

4) Gingerbread ROMS will be forth coming...in time, just as it took for Froyo ROMS to come. I know you expect speed seeing as all the money you spend buying ROMs....ohhh, wait a minute..I forgot, ROMs are free or donate only...Little Baby Jesus has tears because the people making these things out of the kindness of their hearts arent going fast enough....seriously...its a phone. Make some calls with it and take a day off from trying to make it "pretty"...or, conversely, learn to make your own ROMs, that way you can moan to yourself for not being fast enough to placate yourself....:icon_eek:

ahC_hED

Reaction score
^^ I think there's a liberty gb nightly out right now. That might be what he is talking about.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

A

abn75

Running the GB leak myself and find it fast. Better than froyo

Sent from my Gingerbread DX

skennelly

Reaction score

1) Liberty ROM is for Froyo...not Gingerbread...so its no surprise the Liberty Toolbox you donated for doesnt work. Thats not Googles fault, or a fault of the GB OS...its your fault for not paying attention and reading...

Liberty is out for GB. Those that have the donate tool box have the ability to upgrade from liberty froyo to liberty for gb. The op was on gb and tried to install liberty and there in lies the problem. Which is why he got the error "you need to be on froyo".

As for the sync issue, it is a known problem on the leak. Many people who did read and install correctly still had the sync icon in the status bar. The solution is to wipe data after the install.

Sent from my DROIDX

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Liberty is out for GB. Those that have the donate tool box have the ability to upgrade from liberty froyo to liberty for gb. The op was on gb and tried to install liberty and there in lies the problem. Which is why he got the error "you need to be on froyo".

As for the sync issue, it is a known problem on the leak. Many people who did read and install correctly still had the sync icon in the status bar. The solution is to wipe data after the install.

Sent from my DROIDX
Ok, I did not know that as I havent went back to Liberty since the GB release...my apologies...to an extent. I am still quite confident that the instruction werent followed quite as well as they should have been...

I know about the Sync issue and the fix for it...i did it 15 minutes after installing the GB release I am on...and I am rocking along quite nicely...:)