Gingerbread HowTo

mizzoug

Reaction score
My Droid Pro just got the Gingerbread update last night and I've found all kinds of information about the changes, what's new, etc. but I can't find anything to tell me exactly how to use them. For example, I've read "Multi-Touch Key-Chording:New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode." and "New User Interface and Color Scheme:New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors." But how do I use the new keyboard shortcuts and what are the new widgets and screens (looked but nothing jumped out). And while a customizable dock is a great idea, there's no direction on how to customize it.

Is there a place I should easily find that gives me these instructions? I just don't have the kind of time I need to figure it all out for myself at the moment. What am I missing?

Thanks,
MG

badcat

Reaction score
My Droid Pro just got the Gingerbread update last night and I've found all kinds of information about the changes, what's new, etc. but I can't find anything to tell me exactly how to use them. For example, I've read "Multi-Touch Key-Chording:New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode." and "New User Interface and Color Scheme:New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors." But how do I use the new keyboard shortcuts and what are the new widgets and screens (looked but nothing jumped out). And while a customizable dock is a great idea, there's no direction on how to customize it.

Is there a place I should easily find that gives me these instructions? I just don't have the kind of time I need to figure it all out for myself at the moment. What am I missing?

Thanks,
MG
I found out one way. Long press on the dock and a dialogue box will pop up and ask you what you want to add to it. It seems like you can only replace one app. The dialer, contacts and app drawer seem permanent. Someone else may have a more detailed solution. It sort of makes sense though, as there isn't a lot of room on the dock, four icons is it...

Navy87Guy

Reaction score
I found out one way. Long press on the dock and a dialogue box will pop up and ask you what you want to add to it. It seems like you can only replace one app. The dialer, contacts and app drawer seem permanent. Someone else may have a more detailed solution. It sort of makes sense though, as there isn't a lot of room on the dock, four icons is it...

You can replace everything except the app drawer by using the long press described above. I changed all 3 of mine.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

gdfather

Reaction score
One if the new features I found is actually under shortcuts, after you long press on the home screen: direct dial, and direct message. I used to have to have a separate app for that.

Also if you on the home screen, and press the home button, you get a sense like preview of your screens and can choose one to go directly to.

You can also create groups in the app drawer and sort by most used.

badcat

Reaction score
You can replace everything except the app drawer by using the long press described above. I changed all 3 of mine.

That's cool. I didn't have too much time to mess around with it. Ironically, the app drawer is the first thing I'd want to replace... ;) I'll have to play around with it some more. Thanks.

clueless77

Reaction score
You can always get different launchers from the market that give you a different style hot seat

ADW
Launcher pro
Go launcher
Android 7 and the list goes on

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
mizzoug

mizzoug

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I really like the direct dial, as I wish the phone had speed dial keys like the blackberry. The direct dial is a step in the right direction at least.

And here's where I get stupid. I can't seem to figure how to long press the dock. Every place I try just yields a long press on whatever icon I'm near. Any suggestions? I did manage to get the menu you describe by accident (I was scrolling the app drawer of all things) but I can't seem to repeat it. Any suggestions for the obviously clueless?

Thanks again and I'd love to hear more how to's with new features as they're discovered.

M

gdfather

Reaction score
You don't need to long press on the dock to change an app. Just drag the new app to the dock location you want to change.

gdfather

Reaction score
And as far as speed dial. Open the dialer app. Press menu and you can set up speed dial. Only catch is you can speed dial straight from the keyboard. You have to open the dialer and long press on the dialer keys.

OP
mizzoug

mizzoug

Reaction score
Thanks, gdfather! I'd tried dragging off, but not dragging on. So simple!