gingerbread for droid pro!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
for those of us who rooted our pro's and disabled a lot of bloatware, should we restore the apk's before upgrading to gingerbread? and can we leave the phone rooted?

You need to restore any frozen/removed stock apps and you need to unroot before installing any updates. People who tried to install the last update while rooted ran into a heck of a lot of problems and had to end up doing a SBF in order to get things working correctly again. You should always restore any stock apps and unroot before installing an update. Always.

And yes, unrooting with aRoot is as simple as running the unroot.bat file.

But don't jump to any conclusions about the Gingerbread update being eminent. The article just talks about two users receiving the update. It could be a test run or an accidental leak. We don't know for sure yet. Nothing official has been announced, and it hasn't been anything close to widespread.

paul.r

Reaction score
Checked for updates this morning, and it showed an update to 4.6.4 for the MotoBlur. After initially getting stuck at 83%, and rebooting, it picked up and finished the install.

Now running 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) and System Version 4.6.4.XT610.Verizon.en.US.

I like the new interface and no issues so far.

Roque

Reaction score
I'm currently downloading Gingerbread right now...

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
Checked for updates this morning, and it showed an update to 4.6.4 for the MotoBlur. After initially getting stuck at 83%, and rebooting, it picked up and finished the install.

Were you rooted when you installed the update? Did it break root? Are you having any problems?

paul.r

Reaction score

Were you rooted when you installed the update? Did it break root? Are you having any problems?

Not rooted. It's got a new skin/colors that required some text color changes to my Weatherbug Elite app, etc. but no actual problems of note yet. But I really haven't started digging around too much.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and restored all my bloatware (but didn't unroot), when I check system updates it says none available. Does anyone know if I must unroot in order to get the update? I remember last time they had an update they rolled it out across different areas of the country. I hope New Jersey gets it soon!

First roll outs have nothing to do with the region you are in. You're just as likely to get it in Elizabeth New Jersey as you would be in Hermosa Beach California.

I have seen times when it accepts the update, then removes the root but if I were you I'd go back to stock. But don't do that until you know it's officially here, rolling out. Chances are you won't be the first to get it and usually the first batch to roll out is very small, then starts to expand as time goes on.

AFG

Reaction score
Can someone post the update.zip for us???
so we can download and install it on our phones.

Thanks

rza49311

Reaction score
Sure, if it finishes downloading and I can cancel out to get the file i will. Gimme 10-15 mins, seems to be downloading pretty slow.

EDIT: its REALLY slow. I'm guessing about 2pm est before I have the file downloaded.

Last edited:

Roque

Reaction score
Sure, if it finishes downloading and I can cancel out to get the file i will. Gimme 10-15 mins, seems to be downloading pretty slow.

EDIT: its REALLY slow. I'm guessing about 2pm est before I have the file downloaded.

It's hung up twice for me and I've had to reboot to get it started again. Still downloading...

rza49311

Reaction score

It's hung up twice for me and I've had to reboot to get it started again. Still downloading...

Actually, i wasn't close enough to my wifi AP :facepalm: I'm still downloading too, 73% right now.

rza49311

Reaction score
well I have the file downloaded. I hit install later, connected it to my pc but don't see an update.zip on the SD card.