Gingerbread for D2G?

gthotie5

Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense but by the the time the D3 nd X2 get the next update my contract will be up.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!!

I was just looking at the d2g forum over at motorola's website and i found this
2011-04-28_13-46-15_63.jpg

clouse2013

Reaction score
Hopefully we will get a leak soon. I cant wait to get some of these gingerbread roms. The liberty ones look sweet.

fordtheriver

Reaction score
Mind linking to where you found that? dont feel like searching through hundreds of pages....

This was under the GRD section...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/get-r-done/145211-gingerbread-coming-signs-point-yes.html

DX won't be updated to a new version again. It came out July last year with 2.1 and was soon updated to 2.2. That's two updates they'll already have given it. Ice cream sandwich (not keeping up with googleio xplorer?) won't even be released until Q4. So assume Novemberish, although GB was released the first week of December with the same quarter target. By the time moto screws around with it, it gets through VWZ, the DX will be two years old (or almost there). Way past the "attempt to keep updates rolling for 18 months for all new phones" initiative they announced yesterday.
The D2G on the otherhand... should be just within that window...hopefully/maybe.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
DX won't be updated to a new version again. It came out July last year with 2.1 and was soon updated to 2.2. That's two updates they'll already have given it. Ice cream sandwich (not keeping up with googleio xplorer?) won't even be released until Q4. So assume Novemberish, although GB was released the first week of December with the same quarter target. By the time moto screws around with it, it gets through VWZ, the DX will be two years old (or almost there). Way past the "attempt to keep updates rolling for 18 months for all new phones" initiative they announced yesterday.
The D2G on the otherhand... should be just within that window...hopefully/maybe.

Hopefully we'll be able to get 2.4. The dg2 was released Nov 2010 so 18 from there it will be april 2012.
We haven't received 2.3 and i'm already wanting 2.4 lol

leobg

Reaction score

Hopefully we'll be able to get 2.4. The dg2 was released Nov 2010 so 18 from there it will be april 2012.
We haven't received 2.3 and i'm already wanting 2.4 lol

I wouldn't hold my breath. 2.3 is taking 5 months now to come (since released to Nexus phones), still gets pushed back due to various problems for the D2G. I can almost put a bet 2.4 will not make it to this phone unless something remarkable happens like boot loader gets hacked and CM guys pick on D2G. By fall Droid 3 will be the 'current' Droid and D2g will be slowly but surely faded out. Since it never got OG Droid's popularity (neither it will get it), I don't expect Motorola to keep it for long alive. Gingerbread (2.3) will be the latest iteration of Android for Droid 2 Global IMO. Motorola, prove me wrong :)!

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
then i shall wait for the droid 3 global!!! dancedroid
wonder if that would ever come into existence lol
After watching the day one keynote, im pretty excited for the future of android

A bit off topic: i wonder how the next nexus phone will turn out

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Ice cream sandwich (not keeping up with googleio xplorer?) won't even be released until Q4.

If I kept up with everything Android, and everything else I wanted to keep up on, plus other internet activities and real life, I cant keep up with everything in the tech world or I would never sleep, even then I dont know if I could keep up. Although I dont think Google I/O had transpired at the time of my comment. ;)

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I have this thought. At i/o it was mentioned that there was an "android alliance" made between various companies w/google. Now since this "alliance" is taking place wouldn't it mean that the companies would now be given a push by google to push out updates including os updates so that we wouldn't have to wait as long as we are waiting. So instead of waiting over 5 months for the next os update we would wait perhaps just a month.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I have this thought. At i/o it was mentioned that there was an "android alliance" made between various companies w/google. Now since this "alliance" is taking place wouldn't it mean that the companies would now be given a push by google to push out updates including os updates so that we wouldn't have to wait as long as we are waiting. So instead of waiting over 5 months for the next os update we would wait perhaps just a month.

Nope the Open Handset Alliance has been around since November 2007 and we still arent on such a schedule. Nor will we ever see such a schedule I would imagine. With monthly updates, os related or not, think about how many phones each manufacturer would have to support and support for the shelf life of that phone plus a bit longer. Moto, counting Android only phones, would have to support, at this moment, 8 phones just between ATT and VZW. It takes time to develop the patch, now they need to make sure the patch works. Then make sure the patch isnt causing the whole OS to crash, and thats just then in house testing. Then I think there are certain developers who arent in house testers but still get access to the updates for more more extensive testing. Then they need to make sure its packaged up and ready to be sent to the carrier for deployment. Then the carrier has to stagger the update and roll it out to customers over the course of a few days.

Then keep in mind it costs Moto time and money to do this when they could devote some of that time to future phones.

So it is quite an extensive processes. It may not even sounds like it the way I described it but trust me, it takes time. Now could the carriers push out more updates for Android OS updates and bug fixes? They could but loosing a few customers isnt going to hurt these huge companies so they dont care.