Gingerbread for Charge Speculation

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by jwd45244, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ajb3985

ajb3985 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    We need to get used to this, its a samsung product...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

2. ajb3985

ajb3985 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Im thinking about it. My only complaint is about how laggy the phone gets sometimes

3. KKDV

KKDV Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. JRLittle

JRLittle New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This from a recent Samsung customer service agent. Probably a stock answer with no commitment to a 2.3 release or release date.

[FONT=&quot]About the software update, we are unable to speculate when/if a software revision with this feature might be
    available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Should this be available, it will be posted in our website or you will be informed by your service provider.
    Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Carlo
    Technical Support[/FONT]

No communication from customer support, and I have been very dissatisfied with Samsung support in trying to resolve the recognized available memory problem.

5. MikeGoob

MikeGoob Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thats the last straw. I'm rooting.

6. mattygabe

mattygabe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The fact that the flash/root process is so painless, you get 2.3.5 that seems extremely stable, anyone with a little bit of technical know-how shouldn't hesitate to grab a legit leaked copy of Gingerbread for the Charge and go for it - rooting and flashing are all in one step if you use the Odin flash program. The steps are (literally):
    1. Download ROMs, WinRAR or 7zip archiving program, Odin flash utility, Samsung USB
    2. Extract ROM, ensure Odin sees the Charge connected to USB
    3. Tell Odin to use ROM, look over 8 checkboxes to ensure the right ones are checked, click START.
    4. Wait for it to finish (~6 minutes)
    5. Done - phone restarts and boots into Gingerbread.
    Considering what that's doing - it's absurd that you don't have the 20 minutes (minus downloading the 300MB ROM) to flash your phone... Just do it.

7. ajb3985

ajb3985 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Probably goin to fold and do so. Does it save my apps or will i have to download them all over again?

8. mattygabe

mattygabe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's an absolute fresh start. There are a ton of backup apps out there, but the one I'm using is MyBackupPro, it was a $2 or $3 app that I paid for when I rooted my original droid, backs up my apps, most settings and my data, too.

P3Droid actually provides both a bloated and debloated (debloated has the bare minimum, no extra frills from either Vzw or Google): HOW TO: Flash ROMs with Odin3 v1.82, tailored to GB 2.3.4 - xda-developers

9. Kassy.matthews

Kassy.matthews New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so.... My question... Just because I dony want to do something that could come back to haunt me... if I root mine and install a leaked version, can that be undone if I need to return the phone our decide to sell it? If I root it also, will it every get an actual and auto download / push from verizon if ice cream sandwich hits the market or am I stuck with a forever rooted phone?

10. AstroBoy

AstroBoy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are files that you can download and flash that will return your phone to stock out of the box condition. So you are not stuck. However if you are rooted and ROMMed, I don't think you will get the automatic updates, but as none have come out since I've had the phone I don't know for certain.

Craig

11. mattygabe

mattygabe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe (let me know if I'm wrong) the link I provided also provides a link to a stock EE4 ROM that you can flash back to using the same method that you flash a leaked version. Though I don't know for sure, I'd be willing to bet that the leaked versions can't get the OTAs because they are most likely marked as beta versions, so everyone has been planning to flash back to a stock Froyo and then updating forward once Gingerbread or ICS come out.

12. jwd45244

jwd45244 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have given up waiting for Gingerbread to be released as an OTA. I flashed the EP3H ROM and all is well.

13. maxwellag

maxwellag Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has gingerbread been released yet for the charge? also do you guys think it will get 2.4?

14. mattygabe

mattygabe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, Gingerbread has not yet been released to the Charge.

And 2.4 doesn't exist - the jump will be made from 2.3.5 (which is the version the Charge will get next) to 4.0 (the highest the 2.x go is 2.3.7 before 3.x, which is tablet-only Android, begins)

Ice Cream Sandwich, or Android 4.0, will most likely be released to the Charge, but it remains unseen how long that will take - I doubt they skip the Gingerbread update in favor of ICS altogether, but I can't imagine it takes longer than June 2012 to see ICS pushed to all Droid Charges.

15. KKDV

KKDV Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see someone wrote that gingerbread is being pushed out again for the Thunderbolt, maybe now they can release ours.