Gingerbread for Charge Speculation

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by jwd45244, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jdogg330

Jdogg330 New Member

With ICS right around the corner I think the Charge may miss GB all together.
  2. Tegamal

Tegamal New Member

Or it follow suit with all Samsung devices & never get an update ever again...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. mozar

mozar New Member

or get the update right before the 1 year warranty ends and then completely ruin the phone so they have to give a free upgrade like they did with the fascinate.
  4. Trip3601211

Trip3601211 New Member

I personally think they are hiding somthing from us about this update...maybe they just CANT do it. Regaurdless is pure BS!
  5. fastblue

fastblue New Member

Samsung probably has the update ready, but it must get Verizon's stamp of approval before it is launched. Whenever there is an update, there will be some problems as some phones crash. Verizon isn't going to push out updates for 2 very different phones at the same time. Thunderbolt was released over a month before the Charge and therefore is due the update first. The Thunderbolt will receive another update before we get Gingerbread as they will have to fix the first Gingerbread update. The Charge will have a supplemental update to fix the future Gingerbread update. No matter how quick they produce an update, it won't be soon enough for the impatient. Most smart phones are not perfect when they first come out. You have to wait about 9 months after a phone is released before they get most of the kinks worked out. They don't release phones that haven't been tested, they just have not been tested a equivalent number of times as there will be users of the new device. And when we, the users, tell of a problem, they still have to try to duplicate it to be able to fix it. That is why some problems get fixed faster than others. BE PATIENT!!! IT IS COMING!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  6. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

You do realize that you're asking why Android, an operating system that, while has updated versions just like its Apple counterpart, has several of those versions co-existing on all cell networks ranging from mostly 2.0 - 2.3+ ? And not only do the Android versions vary (I guarantee there are still sub-2.0 Droids running out there), each phone model varies slightly from the Android layout? Because the Charge uses a Hummingbird, but the TBolt uses the Snapdragon, the Tbolt has 768MB of RAM while the Charge only has 512 -- and that's not even getting into all of the other minor differences between all of the phone platforms!

Yes, the OS is supposed to abstract that all away, but it's not perfect and sometimes differences in hardware will ALWAYS lead to differences in how the software's written.

Meanwhile, the Apple IOS model is that there are multiple versions, and multiple pieces of hardware, but there's a single hardware maker, and there really are only a handful of devices out there, and they all use just about the same hardware. Sure, switching between iPhone 3 to 3G to 3GS to 4 to now 4S in the coming days offers a few caveats and gotchas, but as far as an app developer is concerned - that's pretty much a unified architecture. If I need to decide which devices I can target, it's a relatively simple process in terms of the libraries I call and the method of which I access system resources.

So, I hate to slam on you here, but it's not just a "Why doesnt Droid get more attention". Devs want to, its just it requires TOO much attention!
  7. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

Hope you weren't being serious... You do know that ICS was just announced in 2011, let alone have anything tangibly seen by the public? It's still being developed, and its a major release. Froyo to Gingerbread was a jump from 2.2 to 2.3. Gingerbread to ICS is 2.3 to 4.0 ? (it's not skipping a version, 3.x is for tablets and 4.0 is bringing the two together). With such a massive under taking, it's going to be a little while before ICS gets out to phones officially. There will be plenty of GB time here.

EDIT: Alright, so ICS is a little closer than what I had read previously, but still... A Gingerbread update won't be skipped.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

Boy, it'll be real nice to have Gingerbread 2.3.5, though. Google+ video chat, an updated Swype install (on my Motorola Droid A855 I was part of the Swype Beta program, so up to and during the day that I got my Charge I was using Swype version 3.1 or so - the Froyo charge has 2.1 or something still)

I unfortunately fear that this will turn out much like the 2.0 to 2.0.1 and 2.1 updates for the Motorola Droid were - took months after "inside sources" said it would be released that it finally happened.
  9. KKDV

KKDV New Member

And now it is October 9th and still no update and no news of an update either.

10. michelle.ahern

michelle.ahern New Member

gb update

my suggestion is why wait when you can root and download it. i downloaded gummy charge gb and its awesome no more unwanted bloatware apps and no more ugly brown and orange notification screens. my phone went from an 800 quadrant score to 2190 since rooting.
  11. ajb3985

ajb3985 New Member

We need to get used to this, its a samsung product...

12. ajb3985

ajb3985 New Member

Im thinking about it. My only complaint is about how laggy the phone gets sometimes

13. KKDV

KKDV New Member

14. JRLittle

JRLittle New Member

This from a recent Samsung customer service agent. Probably a stock answer with no commitment to a 2.3 release or release date.

[FONT=&quot]About the software update, we are unable to speculate when/if a software revision with this feature might be
    available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Should this be available, it will be posted in our website or you will be informed by your service provider.
    Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Carlo
    Technical Support[/FONT]

No communication from customer support, and I have been very dissatisfied with Samsung support in trying to resolve the recognized available memory problem.
  15. MikeGoob

MikeGoob Member

Thats the last straw. I'm rooting.
  16. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

The fact that the flash/root process is so painless, you get 2.3.5 that seems extremely stable, anyone with a little bit of technical know-how shouldn't hesitate to grab a legit leaked copy of Gingerbread for the Charge and go for it - rooting and flashing are all in one step if you use the Odin flash program. The steps are (literally):
    1. Download ROMs, WinRAR or 7zip archiving program, Odin flash utility, Samsung USB
    2. Extract ROM, ensure Odin sees the Charge connected to USB
    3. Tell Odin to use ROM, look over 8 checkboxes to ensure the right ones are checked, click START.
    4. Wait for it to finish (~6 minutes)
    5. Done - phone restarts and boots into Gingerbread.
    Considering what that's doing - it's absurd that you don't have the 20 minutes (minus downloading the 300MB ROM) to flash your phone... Just do it.
  17. ajb3985

ajb3985 New Member

Probably goin to fold and do so. Does it save my apps or will i have to download them all over again?

18. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

No, it's an absolute fresh start. There are a ton of backup apps out there, but the one I'm using is MyBackupPro, it was a $2 or $3 app that I paid for when I rooted my original droid, backs up my apps, most settings and my data, too.

P3Droid actually provides both a bloated and debloated (debloated has the bare minimum, no extra frills from either Vzw or Google): HOW TO: Flash ROMs with Odin3 v1.82, tailored to GB 2.3.4 - xda-developers
  19. Kassy.matthews

Kassy.matthews New Member

so.... My question... Just because I dony want to do something that could come back to haunt me... if I root mine and install a leaked version, can that be undone if I need to return the phone our decide to sell it? If I root it also, will it every get an actual and auto download / push from verizon if ice cream sandwich hits the market or am I stuck with a forever rooted phone?

20. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

There are files that you can download and flash that will return your phone to stock out of the box condition. So you are not stuck. However if you are rooted and ROMMed, I don't think you will get the automatic updates, but as none have come out since I've had the phone I don't know for certain.

Craig