Gingerbread coming?

Re_X2

Reaction score
I read on droid life that it may look like the x2 is getting gingerbread soon. I'm rooted and have deleted some bloat and was wondering if any of that will stop me from getting the update when it finally gets here?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
I read on droid life that it may look like the x2 is getting gingerbread soon. I'm rooted and have deleted some bloat and was wondering if any of that will stop me from getting the update when it finally gets here?

Worse Case, SBF Then Update To Ginger.

Reaction score
Lose root, get Motobloat/MotoBlur, get dubious improvements from GB.

I'll stick with what I have got. My understanding is that if you have frozen or removed any apps then you will not get an upgrade.

myriad46

Reaction score

None of that will stop you from getting the notification and being able to download the update. However, you will have to have the "bloat" for the install to work. If it detects pieces missing, it will kick back an error. I don't think that includes the pieces that you are allowed to delete such as city ID and the Golf game, etc. But if you've frozen anything, or deleted things that are not allowed to be deleted, but you did so with root, you'll need to get them back.

A factory reset restores all that. You don't have to do the crazy SBF flash thing unless you've loaded an alternate ROM.

bradleonard

Reaction score

None of that will stop you from getting the notification and being able to download the update. However, you will have to have the "bloat" for the install to work. If it detects pieces missing, it will kick back an error. I don't think that includes the pieces that you are allowed to delete such as city ID and the Golf game, etc. But if you've frozen anything, or deleted things that are not allowed to be deleted, but you did so with root, you'll need to get them back.

A factory reset restores all that. You don't have to do the crazy SBF flash thing unless you've loaded an alternate ROM.

I am not so sure a factory reset will restore files that have been deleted by apps such as Titanium Backup or Antek App Manager for root. Maybe if you froze apps using either of those two apps they will be restored with a factory reset.

LordRalh3

Reaction score
A factory reset would work if you have a nandroid backup of stock you can flash back to, but why risk anything or waste the time or possible issues, it doesnt take long to sbf at all and then you KNOW thats not the cause of any issues down the road. if you dont sbf you wont know if an issue is from a current software problem or if its simply conflicting with other info cause you didnt sbf