Gingerbread browser on Froyo???

jchammer123

Reaction score
I recently just went back to a Froyo rom because the latest GB builds are not running well on my OG droid. I miss the GB stock browser! Is there a way to get the apk for it, or how can I get it on my Froyo rom? I've searched, but haven't been able to find it like I did the new market. Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
From any specific GB rom? I would just use 7zip to get it from my favorite rom and try & install it like any other app. Or I can give you one in an update.zip to flash through recovery.

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
CJM to the rescue once again!

I liked the browser in Liquid 3.2.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
Here you go. I just pulled the Browser from Liquid 3.2 and put it in an update.zip. Its been a loonngg time since I've used any Liquid roms. And I dont know if this is compatible with froyo. So Make A Backup!

Link pulled, didnt work .This going to put it in System/App if you need to look for it.

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
Thank you! I will flash it in the morning and let ya know!

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
It didn't work. I flashed the zip and when I rebooted the browser was not in the app drawer. So I went to system/app and tried to install the browser but it says there was a problem parsing the app, or something along those lines.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
OK. We can try a few more ways. You may have to delete your existing Browser app and reboot 1st. It would be in either Data/app or System/App.

Edit: Links didnt work :(

Maybe one of those will work.

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
I tried all three ways and I got the same error message. Maybe that browser wasn't meant for Froyo?

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm gonna be getting the GNexus anyways whenever they decide to release it! So its not too big of a deal.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could try pulling the app from the .zip and putting it in /system/apps, set permissions, and reboot. Use root explorer or something similar. I'm not sure if it would work but it's worth a try:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
You could try pulling the app from the .zip and putting it in /system/apps, set permissions, and reboot. Use root explorer or something similar. I'm not sure if it would work but it's worth a try:)

I deleted the links already, but I posted a zip and just the app. Kept getting the same error. We're thinking its not compatible with Froyo

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I deleted the links already, but I posted a zip and just the app. Kept getting the same error. We're thinking its not compatible with Froyo

I know apps will install by using the method I posted, however, there will be force close issues if the browser is not compatible with froyo. I'm thinking it probably isn't anyway because the gingerbread build has copy and paste features whereas froyo does not.

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
Yeah I notice a lot of things missing on Froyo that I had gottne used to. But, its running problem free, and that's all I need for the next week or so.