gingerbread broke my bluetooth

DisturbedMaggot

Reaction score
OK, I know I don't post a lot, but I have done a lot of searching everywhere and it doesn't seem that anybody else has had the same problem I am.

So I got the OTA 2.3.3 update on saturday, the 9, and I previously had a rooted (with z4) stock ROM, only thing I used the root for was taking screenshots, and changing the names of the stock verizon apks, to bak. so i got the update and went to install it, it failed the first time. I remembered reading about needing all the stock ROMs active to do an OS update, so I renamed all the stock apks back to apk and did the update again. downloaded, updated, and everything seemed to go well. But, after trying to use it since then, I have noticed that my bluetooth does not work on the phone. When I set it to discoverable, it is unable to be found by my Pioneer deck in my car, and it is unable to connect to my bluetooth headset- both were previously paired with the phone on 2.2.

I got on tech support with motorola and they told me to factory reset it. I want to avoid that because of 3rd party apks I've downloaded, and I put notification sounds in the system folder so they can still be on and work properly when the SD card is out or hasn't loaded yet, and I want to keep those files, but because of the update I am no longer rooted, and z4 fails to root gingerbread for me. I don't want to do a custom ROM to get the root option either.

please does anybody know of anything i can try to fix this? I've restarted, tried to repair, pulled the battery, turned bluetooth on/off. everything i can think of

OP
D

DisturbedMaggot

Reaction score
So I was messing with the running programs last night just because I was curious as to what was running (menu>settings>manage apps>running) and i found like 5 different things that were labeled bluetooth somethingorother. So i force stopped all of them, and restarted the bluetooth (the toggle switch widget) and now it appears to be working, kind of. It was able to connect to my headset no problem (still paid in memory) but when i tried to pair it to my radio i had to force stop the bluetooth processes again, but it ended up working. Does anybody have any idea what might have happened?

NewEvolution

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in and say I'm experiencing the same issue, only I can't seem to get bluetooth even after force-stopping the only two bluetooth-named processes in the running list. Unlike you, however, my phone was never rooted, and had stock everything outside of a handful of apps.

I'd (understandably) rather not factory reset my phone if I can avoid it. If it comes to that though, is there a way to re-download the non-free apps I've purchased without repurchasing them? Feel free to point me to another thread on here if it's covered elsewhere, I only signed up to find more about this bluetooth issue and haven't had time to explore the board fully. Thanks!

OP
D

DisturbedMaggot

Reaction score
I've never paid for an app, but I think once you pay for it, its linked with your account and it'll automatically redownload like the free market amps do.

And on a side. Note, I wish I was still rooted so I could take a screenshot of the phone ad that's at the top of the page right now lol

NewEvolution

Reaction score
Well that's good to know, thanks! I figured there had to be something like that in place, otherwise people would be flipping out about it.

In other news, today I tried again and my headset paired and worked flawlessly, in fact, better than it ever had. :blink: I used to have issues with my headset needing to be un-paired and re-paired fairly often to connect successfully but I turned it on and off ~7 times today with no issues connecting whatsoever.

I've made no changes at all since being unable to pair or even discover my phone via my laptop for two days, but now it works. Oh well. Hope your issue magically resolves itself too OP.

OP
D

DisturbedMaggot

Reaction score
Thanks, but it actually got worse. I got the 2nd gingerbread update about a week ago, and it rebroke it, except this time force stopping all the bluetooth services doesn't seem to work. I dont understand why everyones response is reset the phone. I dont wanna reset the dam phone lol because I shouldnt have to. Anyone know of a way to uninstall the last update? Is there even a way? No I dont want custom rims and unless its a 1 button root program I dont wanna fux it up

BobMurray999

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. I just "rooted" the phone using OneClick2.1.1 and now my phone will no longer connect via bluetooth to my car (Nissan LEAF). Ideas?
Model number: Samsung SGH I897.
Firmware Version 2.2
Baseband: I897UCKB1
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build Number: FROYO.UCKB1

robertbick

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. I just "rooted" the phone using OneClick2.1.1 and now my phone will no longer connect via bluetooth to my car (Nissan LEAF). Ideas?
Model number: Samsung SGH I897.
Firmware Version 2.2
Baseband: I897UCKB1
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build Number: FROYO.UCKB1

Get rid of that Nissan Leaf :D .

Last edited by a moderator:

tomatosan

Reaction score
Bluetooth broken and

I did a factory reset. Phone has never been rooted. So this is a legit issue as far as I am concerned.