Gingerbread battery drain

Natey2

Reaction score
Have you looked to see what is using your battery?

Battery used by "Phone idle" and "Cell standby" have increased (relatively) in my GB.
The latter is the battery used by the cell radio. What is the former?

Edit:
The former includes background processes... Hmm...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Last edited:

Dr Fatsides

Reaction score
Run that battery down

Guys, it's normal for battery life to be a little off after going to a new rom. Just run your battery down all the way one time, and then give it a few charge cycles to calibrate properly. There is no question gingerbread battery life is superior to froyo.

I've had my Droid X about 6 weeks. Never ran the battery down all the way, with terrible battery life. Ran it down till it shut off yesterday. Battery life seems better since doing so.

OP
D

DroidNewbie41

Reaction score
Guys, it's normal for battery life to be a little off after going to a new rom. Just run your battery down all the way one time, and then give it a few charge cycles to calibrate properly. There is no question gingerbread battery life is superior to froyo.

I've had my Droid X about 6 weeks. Never ran the battery down all the way, with terrible battery life. Ran it down till it shut off yesterday. Battery life seems better since doing so.

I did the same over the weekend and my battery life is much better. About same before update so I'm happy again.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

LISAPIETZ1

Reaction score
I have noticed the same battery drain issue. My phone now seems to be hot and the data upload and download seems to be constantly sending data. Also it seems to have a hard time switching from 1x to 3g. If I switch it to airplane mode and then turn it off it will switch back to 3g.

The same happened to mine, battery drain, long time to charge, phone hot to touch...reset the phone and reinstalled everything. So far so good.

GeXX

Reaction score
Have you looked to see what is using your battery?

Battery used by "Phone idle" and "Cell standby" have increased (relatively) in my GB.
The latter is the battery used by the cell radio. What is the former?

Edit:
The former includes background processes... Hmm...

Just today I noticed that my android OS was using massive power, so I figured it was one of the programs that just installed.. I went from being able to go all day to having about 5 hours of life. It ended up being firefox for some reason. Soo.. What you run, intentional or not may be causing the problem..

lostnbroken

Reaction score
1st off, I have to say I really like GB for the most part. I didn't have the issues I saw other people having and I'm really liking the darker notification bar & such, but I am having horrible battery life now as well. I thought my battery wasn't good with 2.2 but dang... GB is just sucking the life out of my phone! I haven't added anything and have deleted widgets I had running before to see if that would help but it hasn't. I waited a few days to see if the battery would improve any but it hasn't. I have my stock non-rooted X set to Max battery saver and I have the brightness turned almost all the way down & I use wifi when it's available. I checked running apps & deleted ones that seem to always be running that I never used anyways & I deleted Lookout to see if that would help... Nope:( Not using a task killer or battery enhancing app, either. Really was looking FW to GB for the better battery life and I see that it really is better for some people... I Just wish I was one of those some people. I've now had my phone off the charger for 4h 37 min and I am down to 57% battery left with my normal use if not a little less today. Usually it would only be down to about 80-85%. I was thinking about using just the stock launcher instead of Launchpro but with me taking off widgets and not seeing an improvement.... I don't really see it helping much to use stock launcher. Anyways, any ideas or suggestions that anyone is trying and has seen a noticeable improvement?

Bullocks

Reaction score
com.motorola.contacts.data

^^ this process is consuming as much power as cell standby and phone idle.

I'm pretty sure this is what is causing my recent battery problems. Before I did OTA upgrade, I got a day easily, but I'm struggling to get even half a day now.

Moto ****ed this up pretty bad, I'm ready to flash a new ROM, if anyone has a recommendation. Battery life is my primary concern, gingerbread is a secondary.

JackJuice

Reaction score
So does anyone have a working solution yet, to battery drain or corporate sync?
Maybe a better question is has this been acknowledged by Android's makers? Is there an update that will fix this?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
After 8 hours of use mostly idle, Display 35%, Phone idle 30%, Cell standby 25%.
This is ridiculous!
And this is after I fixed my perpetual contact sync problem, which I thought was draining the battery.

Snow02

Reaction score
After 8 hours of use mostly idle, Display 35%, Phone idle 30%, Cell standby 25%.
This is ridiculous!
And this is after I fixed my perpetual contact sync problem, which I thought was draining the battery.

What are you talking about? The question is how much you've used. Those percentages are the percentage of what's been used. So if you're still at 70%, the display has only used 10.5% of your total charge (35% of 30).

Natey2

Reaction score
This is ridiculous!

What are you talking about? The question is how much you've used. Those percentages are the percentage of what's been used. So if you're still at 70%, the display has only used 10.5% of your total charge (35% of 30).

Battery was around 60%
And all the numbers on the Battery Usage did not total 100%
In the 9 months I've owned my DroidX, I've never seen Phone idle or Cell standby take up that proportion of usage.

evolume

Reaction score
Without reading the whole thread, did anybody mention this fix?
Reboot into clockwork recovery, select 'advanced' then select 'wipe battery stats'

I had a battery drain problem and this fixed it for me. While I was at it I also 'wipe Dalvik cache'

Anyway, worked for me.