Gingerbread battery drain

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you specify too low of a voltage, it can become unstable. There is an app called Quickclock advanced that tests your phone to the point where it becomes unstable and then it will automatically use a VSEL that is stable.

I was able to lower the VSEL on 300 MHz from 25 to 14 with no noticeable issues whatsoever. My battery lasts a lot longer and I don't have to worry about not getting my data like with Juice Defender.

I use it on my phone and I guarantee you, my phone is still super fast and stable.

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

fizik

Reaction score
I've used QuickClock Advanced before too and it's a great app. Only problem for me was when it was done calibrating VSEL, it started calibrating the appropriate speed your phone could run, but after that test the phone would restart and never saved the settings after that.

Some people also had that same issue, the phone was supposed to turtle in speed and then after the app noticed the speed lag, it would stop the test and save it at the most optimum speed. Mine's just rebooted and the calibration would never save, I dunno if that bugs been corrected yet but it's a great app none the less.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used QuickClock Advanced before too and it's a great app. Only problem for me was when it was done calibrating VSEL, it started calibrating the appropriate speed your phone could run, but after that test the phone would restart and never saved the settings after that.

Some people also had that same issue, the phone was supposed to turtle in speed and then after the app noticed the speed lag, it would stop the test and save it at the most optimum speed. Mine's just rebooted and the calibration would never save, I dunno if that bugs been corrected yet but it's a great app none the less.

I haven't had that problem. On mine it goes down to 13 VSEL, my phone reboots, then after it starts up it does the speed test. After that it saves all the info and I can mess with the profiles

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

Natey2

Reaction score
If undervolting was OK and saves battery life, why do we suppose TI or Motorola didn't do that already to make their hardware look better in the specs?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If undervolting was OK and saves battery life, why do we suppose TI or Motorola didn't do that already to make their hardware look better in the specs?

All phones are different and no 2 will function exactly the same. Motorola made the software to be as broad as possible. That and the fact that everything they do is based on what management wants and cost. If stock was great, why would there be an aftermarket? Motorola and TI could have built the baddest phone ever on the X platform, but they have to load it down with MotoBLUR and build it based on specs that they are told to achieve, not tto mention, make cost goals.

I like to use automotive analogies for questions such as these. Why do people change out the intake in their car, since the stock intake works ok? Because there is room for improvement.

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

Snow02

Reaction score

All phones are different and no 2 will function exactly the same. Motorola made the software to be as broad as possible. That and the fact that everything they do is based on what management wants and cost. If stock was great, why would there be an aftermarket? Motorola and TI could have built the baddest phone ever on the X platform, but they have to load it down with MotoBLUR and build it based on specs that they are told to achieve, not tto mention, make cost goals.

I like to use automotive analogies for questions such as these. Why do people change out the intake in their car, since the stock intake works ok? Because there is room for improvement.

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

Huh?

The actual answer is so that they can get a higher useable yield on their chips. Some will better be able to handle lower voltages/higher clocks, some won't. So they set the voltages for the lowest common denominator.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's basically what I said. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

Natey2

Reaction score
A new record for me on 7/15/2011:
21 hours after battery was fully charged.
70% remaining.

Phone idle 37%
Cell standby 29%
Display 28%
Android OS 2%

Using Juice Defender 3.5.6
Screen - x1.78

Amazing how much juice is left just by disabling data periodically, and keeping the display turned off :^)

akj27

Reaction score
Ive been having the same issue and just now found this thread. I went through a replacement phone, and now a second battery but battery life is still terrible for me. I've owned this Droid X for less than a year, anyone know if Verizon will let me get a different phone or something?

gimlet72

Reaction score
Ive been having the same issue and just now found this thread. I went through a replacement phone, and now a second battery but battery life is still terrible for me. I've owned this Droid X for less than a year, anyone know if Verizon will let me get a different phone or something?

Could always SBF back to froyo.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would SBF and install the rooted Gingerbread. I never had any of those issues on any of the leaked/rooted Gingerbread files. For the best battery life, a custom ROM is great. And you don't have to turn off your data to make it last through the day.

SSX v2.0

Natey2

Reaction score
Watch out for those custom ROMs that mess up your HDMI output, or camera, if you need those functions. I hear Netflix and some other apps have issues with some custom ROMs too. As one developer put it: "We can't possibly test our app against all custom ROMs out there".
The bottom line (to me) is that my DroidX is [primarily] a phone. If I can't make a phonecall when I need to because I ran out of battery, then all is lost. If this means turning off the data connection periodically because something in this Gingerbread release is using a lot more power than it did under Froyo, then turning off data periodically via a third party app is what I have to do.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Watch out for those custom ROMs that mess up your HDMI output, or camera, if you need those functions. I hear Netflix and some other apps have issues with some custom ROMs too. As one developer put it: "We can't possibly test our app against all custom ROMs out there".
The bottom line (to me) is that my DroidX is [primarily] a phone. If I can't make a phonecall when I need to because I ran out of battery, then all is lost. If this means turning off the data connection periodically because something in this Gingerbread release is using a lot more power than it did under Froyo, then turning off data periodically via a third party app is what I have to do.

I am running one of the most power hungry ROMs out there and I got an extended battery. Made it 13 hours with juice to spare yesterday and I downloaded music, 2 ROMs, had my brightness on all the way and more.

HDMI isn't a big deal to me because it was buggy when it worked and then it broke. Cyanogenmod has everything working on it and I have tried pretty much every ROM with no Netflix issues or anything.

ROMs like Liberty, ZombieStomped and Apex got phenomenal battery life and everything works.

CM74DX

en28so

Reaction score
I sbf back to froyo then took the ota gingerbread. My battery has been pretty good so far. It was never good with any of the custom gingerbread roms that I tried. My phone seems to be more stable now too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums