Gingerbread 2.3.6 OTA on Droid Charge. Pro's n Con's.

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Trip3601211, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Trip3601211

Trip3601211 New Member

Figured I'd start a thread for the charge owners that recieved the OTA of Gingerbread 2.3.6. I've personally have seen alot of pros. Data connection has been pretty consistant. Dropped to 1X one time but that happens in my apartment with low service. Actually just had it happen one time in the market where it dropped completely but 3G came back almost 2 seconds later. Speeds have been WAY faster. Not much color change except for the top notification toggles are green and in browser and some apps the yellow glow at top, bottom and sides of screen. The screen capture trick is different too when you hold the back buttob for three seconds and hit the home button you'll see white flash type of animation on the sides of screen as it shoots. GPS is alright...didn't see much of a difference there. Settings at the bottom looks a little different too. One thing I noticed thats not really noticeable is that when you lock the screen and go to unlock it next it flickers the image of the last screen you were on then back to the unlock screen. Camera is beautiful. Works great and have always thouht it has. May be better now. Going to test out the flash as that was an issue for me as well as others that it would kill and shut down the phone. Don't really care for the loop scroll for the home screens and apps. But its fine (just my opinion.) I personally use GO Launcher EX in the app market and costumize my screens and apps. Got the ICS theme right now and downloaded a ICS clock widget. It looks amazing on this phone and running 2.3.6. I am all in all very impressed with this update and my pros outweigh my cons. I hear this may be last and final update for the charge. :-( I hope not since we are .1 (2.3.7) away from being on the highest GB build made before ICS. Which from my understanding we won't be getting. (That anyone knows of.) With this being said, I have seen the beast come out of this phone from this update and I hope it lives on with more and hope we start getting the attention this phone deserves. How do you guy's feel? Pro's, Con's and anyone's opinions welcomed. Thanks!

sent from my Droid Charge 2.3.6
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. grantfer

grantfer New Member

Exactly everything you mentioned i also noticed! Ours must be working right! I also use golauncher ex but haven't seen the ics theme yet. Is that from go launcher?
  3. jnaught1

jnaught1 New Member

Is there a new shortcut for dimming the screen? The old one (sliding a finger to the left across the top) doesn't seem to work anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  4. CoOkMaYnE

CoOkMaYnE New Member

Download 'brightness toggle widget' in the market place. I've used it for quite some time now. Its very simple and convenient. Tap the widget to adjust the level of brightness and double tap to do automatic. I also use the same style ring volume widget. Tap it once to change to vibrate, again for silent and again turn ringer back on. doesn't have volume adjustment though, but they're other widgets for that as well.
  5. jhev1

jhev1 New Member

To me it seems mostly con, as does the whole phone lately. Sure, the phone is a little faster, but I've had a couple of redraws already. Still takes literally 5,6 minutes to restart before the phone is useable. Still drops data like a champ (twice in 24 hours I've had the update, and that's just when I went to use it) and the gps still blows (took almost ten minutes to lock this morning) On the plus side, got more verizon bloatware and different ugly colors on the dropdown.
  6. jnaught1

jnaught1 New Member

Thanks for the brightness widget recommendation; a quick restart, however, brought back the native adjustment option. So, I'm good to go ... appreciate the help, though!

7. Trip3601211

Trip3601211 New Member

The ICS theme, search ICS Theme GO Launcher Ex and the one that looks like an ice cream sandwich and it says "(theme)" Theres not too many icon changes. Which is alright becuase this is a samsung anyway. But its nice...has the wallpappers and what not. All ICS theme. For the brightness trick, it still works on my phone. Press and hold right underneath the the gold V at the top of the screen. The notification will pop for a second then go away while your finget stays where I said. Then you can slide right for more brightness and left to dim more. That's weird your phone doesnt do that anymore. Hope my instructions help ya out. Also for having more cons then pros, thats your opinion. Which is what I wanted...others opinions. What other problems are you expeirencing? 2 full data drops in 24 hrs? Yeah that don't sound good. Like I said I had ONE full drop with no 4G, 3G or 1X. And had a 1X issue twice. That was my 24 hr test. Well I am glad people are responding and this is a thread where you can still voice your opinions on this latest Gingerbread update for our Droid Charge. Thanks and lets keep it goin.

8. HFlashman

HFlashman New Member

After the update, sliding the finger across the top still dims and brightens my screen.
  9. RockXP

RockXP New Member

I noticed the notification bar brownish color has been replaced with a grey/white color however when I check my hotmail it still has that hideous brownish color. How can that be changed

Im still trying to find the change mention.....

• New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
    Samsung DROID Charge Gingerbread update begins pushing out | PhoneDog
  10. LoganHT1

LoganHT1 New Member

Hey trip360.... You seem well versed about the Charge. I am granfathered in unlimited data. And they have broken my wyfi hotspot Widget. Any ideas?

11. grantfer

grantfer New Member

Thanks, got it!
  12. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

I like the fact that sliding from left to right on a contact or from the call logs, dials that number immediately. Drag right to left and it messages that contact.

I have had zero problems with my GPS, even prior to the update, since I leave the two GPS settings on at all times. Have no location APPs running though.
  13. jtneedham

jtneedham New Member

I've noticed increase in speed, everything running smoother , the biggest thing so far is the battery is lasting longer ,,used all day and still have 3/4 battery left .

14. jnaught1

jnaught1 New Member

Dragging left to right/right to left to call or message isn't new; however, I did just notice that you can now scroll in your apps pages from page 1 to the last page, and vice versa, directly. Used to have to scroll through all of the pages to get from 1 to the last.

15. jhev1

jhev1 New Member

I still lose data just as much as before the update, except now it is sneaky about it. Several times it would show full 3g service, but anytime I tried to use it, it would say no connection in my email, or news app would just time out, google says no data connection or whatever it says when you try to search with no connection. That's in addition to the times that it flat out drops signal like it used to. Easily the biggest pos phone I have ever owned. Can't wait to replace it with something that works.

Sent from my SH*T-I510 using DroidForums
  16. Trip3601211

Trip3601211 New Member

Update since my last post. Have been loosing data almost as much as froyo now...sucks! Tried the flash with camera...still kills the phone. Wouldnt even turn back on. Had to battery pull. Also have noticed issues with the volume when incoming calls arrive. They start low then get loud. Idk...more n more I play with this new build, I'm starting maybe not to notice a difference. Disappointed...

17. grantfer

grantfer New Member

I took the upgrade from stock. I'm in Chicago and have unbelievable 4G service. The phone is now fast and smooth, gps works better, and really have no issues at all. Overall i'm really happy about this update!
  18. Tuktanuk

Tuktanuk New Member

I know a few people that have applied the OTA and battery life got worse. They/we are in spotty 4G coverage so my advice to them was to disable the LTE on network settings and see if it helps. Anyone else on spotty 4G who has seen a decrease in battery life since the OTA!?
  19. techguy90

techguy90 New Member

Pro's- It now cycles through the hompages.

Con's- The color scheme for the drop down menu is horrible as well as the blurred green of the screen unlock pattern, it should have NEVER been changed.

My problem, and the BIGGEST CON of all, I can no longer connect it to my PC and have the Mass Storage option appear. I have gone through all the system settings i could find, and nothing helps my problem. If theres not a fix for this issue, I will be rooting my phone. Not being able to connect it to a computer, without the use of a microSD card reader, is ridiculous.
  20. Trip3601211

Trip3601211 New Member

I yeah started this thread and look what phone I ended up back on. My X2 is beautiful compared to that garbage of a mess. The main reason I switched back to the Charge was cuz it wad getting an OTA and one of the so called "fixed" issues was the data connection. Nope...it was just as garbage as before...dropping every 10-15 minutes. While my X2 has a CONSISTANT 3G data connection. Ill stick with this phone till I get a sweet upgrade deal and a reall beast of a device...the Charge was like a crash n burn test dummy. The test failed by the way...

Sent from my DROID X2
Search tags for this page
android 2.3 6 changes
android 2.3 6 screen capture

android 2.3.6 droid charge

android 2.3.6 samsung charge

android 2.3.6 screen capture

droid charge 2.3.6

droid charge 2.3.6 update

droid charge gingerbread

droid charge gingerbread 2.3.6

gingerbread 2.3.6 features