Getting write_raw_image status 7 error

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Demolition Man, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to install several ROMs tonight including the latest LFY and getting the write_raw_image status 7 error when it gets to the boot part of the ROM install. Here's what the recovery log shows on the issue:

Installing Boot Image...
    mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00280000
    mtd_write_data to boot failed: No space left on device
    write_raw_image: error erasing blocks of boot
    write_raw_image: error closing write of boot
    failed to write boot partition from /tmp/boot.img
    script aborted: assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot")
    assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot")
    E:Error in /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/android.markjohnston.us/DL/LFY/RELEASES/LFYv1.95.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.
    Failure at line 7:
    install_zip SDCARD:/clockworkmod/download/android.markjohnston.us/DL/LFY/RELEASES/LFYv1.95.zip

Any idea on how I can fix this?

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Two ways. I think it is a corrupted download. So either download it via your pc and xfer it to your sdcard, or clean the download cache in Rom Manager and try again.

good luck

3. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've downloaded a number of ROMs manually along with using ROM Manager to download them. Same thing. However a few ROMs such as Ultimate Droid install just fine. Right now I have ClockworkMod 2.5.0.1 installed for my recovery.

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm, got me wondering. Maybe try installing one by manually booting into CMRecovery. Do the backup, then go to the partitions menu and format your /system, /data, /cache, NOT YOUR SDCARD!!, etc., then try installing the rom. On another note, I've got a fellow who's been contacting me via e-mail through my site that is having trouble with LFY as well. It seems as though it corrupted his custom recovery.

good luck

5. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    You've got bad memory blocks in your boot partition, and now it isn't large enough to hold the boot image. This is a hardware problem, and in the wrong partition can be fatal. As a last resort you could try using RSDLite to flash an SBF file, but this doesn't look promising:

Installing Boot Image...
    mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00280000
    mtd_write_data to boot failed: No space left on device

The problem is, certain partitions on the DROID are exactly the size they need to be to hold the image.

6. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What's weird is that some ROMs install fine on my Droid (ie: Ultimate Droid). I tried formatting everything but the SD card as well. So my thoughts are it has to be something with the particular boot files used with certain ROMs such as LFY that are causing this to happen since obviously other ROMs are installing on my device just fine.

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    And it may well be related to LFY. Like I said I was helping a guy through email who finally had to use MC1's SPRecovery only .sbf file to be able to get a custom recovery on his phone, and then go about restoring his CMRecovery nandroid backup.

8. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I do know that some kernels use a different ramdisk image, and if I recall some of them were slightly larger than stock. It could be that LFY's kernel is just big enough to not fit if there are any bad blocks at all.

I will say that a bad MTD block error is definitely on the hardware level and not the software; MTD stands for Memory Technology Device; and the block remapping is similar to the way bad sectors are marked unusable on a PC hard drive.

This link explains how the MTD block project enables flash memory capabilities in embedded Linux OSes (such as Android on a kernel level):

http://www.righthandtech.com/embedded-linux-managing-memory.php

9. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Found a fix. I replaced the boot.img file on LFY 1.95 with the one used with UD 2.1. LFY 1.95 installed perfectly on my Droid with this fix. Thanks everyone for the help. dancedroid

10. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Good! But just curious, does your WiFi still work? Usually all kernels have to have the twilan.drv.ko file compiled with them.

11. Kershaw

Kershaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to get some advice on this. I tried to install the PE v4 rom and get the following:

installing system...
    installing elitewallpapers...
    symlinking toolbox and busybox...
    setting permissions...
    busybox linked permissions set...
    assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot")
    E:Error in /sdcard/download/PEv4.zip (status 7)
    installation aborted.

I did some looking around and here is what I found out. A few people said that I might have a corrupted download of the rom or that my recovery was bad. So I tried redownloading the roms many times and also tried flashing different recoverys and then back to clockwork and still had the status 7. I read quite a few forums on the internet about the status 7 error and I seen a few of them saying that the phone possibly has bad blocks on the boot partition, but those users were getting bad mtd block error messages before the status 7 in a log. But I don't ever see any bad mtd blocks in my recovery flashing. This would leave their phone with less available space than normal for the boot partition.

So I did some trial and error and found that any rom I try to install that has a boot.img over 3 MB or so would fail with the status 7 error. However, any rom that had a boot.img below 3 MB would install just fine. So I'm assuming that I might have bad blocks in the boot partition and unfortunately I might not be able to get around this issue.

Someone told me to try and use adb from my computer when the phone is in recovery mode to format BOOT: and that would tell me if I have any bad blocks or not, but I run into the following problem...

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
    ~ # format BOOT:
    format BOOT:
    /sbin/sh: format: not found
    ~ #

do you have any idea why it won't recognize the format command?

I'm hoping that maybe someone else will reply in here to help me figure this out because I am really frustrated at this point. This this might be a hardware issue, I think I still have my warranty for my Droid, but I would have to unroot it and all that junk and who knows, Verizon might not have replacements available.

12. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wish I had more for you, but I have read that if you're using CWRecovery it will not allow adb format commands, however there are commands in the CWRecovery menu to format your partitions. If you're using SPRecovery, then I don't know why it's not working.

13. Kershaw

Kershaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realize clockwork doesn't allow adb format commands. I have formatted many times in clockwork menu, but it doesn't tell you about bad blocks if it encounters them, from what I understand. I will flash SPRecovery tonight when I get home and see what I get during adb format.

I did find a report.log last night in my clockworkmod folder on the sdcard from 3 months ago that had messages in it about bad blocks in my DATA and CACHE. So I'm assuming I will get those same bad blocks tonight when I format in SPRecovery.

I'm pretty sure I have Asurion insurance with my phone so depending on what the deductible is, I might just say I lost my phone and get a replacement.

14. Kershaw

Kershaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After i flashed SPRecovery instead, I tried format on the phone and didn't get any bad block messages. however, instead i then formatted using adb shell from my computer while my phone was in recovery and got the following...
    C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
    / # format DATA:
    format DATA:
    Formatting DATA:
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x09740000
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x0e080000
    / # format CACHE:
    format CACHE:
    Formatting CACHE:
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x01100000
    / # format BOOT:
    format BOOT:
    Formatting BOOT:
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x002a0000
    / # format SYSTEM:
    format SYSTEM:
    Formatting SYSTEM:
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x02ea0000
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x04720000
    mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x05060000
    / #

So I confirmed my hunch that I had bad blocks. Not only do I have them in the BOOT partition, I have them in every partition. Ah, how awesome. Man, this phone is a replacement from my original one, but who knows if it had these bad blocks to start with. Maybe it is from wear and tear from me flashing and doing other things too much. Looks like the Asurion insurance for my phone might come in handy, but it is going to suck to have to pay the deductible.

15. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    The sad fact of hacking is that when things go wrong, they often go VERY wrong and can be VERY expensive.

Sorry, man. On the plus side you might end up with a "better" phone.

Search tags for this page
android recovery write raw image
android status 7 boot.img
assert failed write raw image /tmp/boot.img

assert failed write raw image status 7

assert failed write raw image(tmp/boot.img)boot (status 7)
assert failed: write raw image status 7
clockworkmod assert failed write raw image
error write raw image
write raw image
write raw image status 7