Getting Updated, Where to Start

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dabrits, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

First post!

Ok, I've been searching for a few hours now on where I should start and the exact steps of what I need to do. Considering how expansive the support for Android/Droid is, I'm pretty sure I've run across the answers to my questions. However, as we all know, there is a lot of "chaff" out there on the internet that can lead the honest truth-seeker astray despite having read the correct information. So I'm trying to get some definitive answers here.

Background:

I have a rooted (z4) D2G. I got it a while ago and within bout three days of owning my first smart phone I rooted it and threw a bunch of handy apps on it (TiBu, drocap, SU, Adfree, SetCPU and a few more). I've never tampered with any custom ROMs or anything, so I've never had to flash the phone either. Ever since Gingerbread was pushed to our phones, I have wanted to upgrade it. However, if I have to pick between 2.2 root or 2.3 no root, then I would choose 2.2 root. Luckliy for me, it is possible to root GB. The problem for me is getting there. The other problem is that since it has been so long ago since I rooted my phone, I'm a little hesitant now to mess with it again without VERY clear (dummy-proof) instructions without much technobabble in them.

I tried to "unroot" the phone in z4root then d/l and install the GB update. That didn't work. That's when I started my research. So I've read a lot now on flashing the phone (sbf). But the question came up about losing all user apps, blah blah blah. So I created a batch backup on my SD card with TiBu. I've downloaded the sbf for 2.2. However, I'm not quite sure if my next step is flashing the phone. If it is, I'm still not entirely clear on how to go about it (I've read multiple guides on how to do it, they seem to vary slightly, or be regarding a different Droid phone).

So the bottom line is, how do I go from a rooted Froyo to a stock GB? I am confident I can figure out the process for a one-click GB root. But right now I just want to get to a place where I can have all of my user apps on GB.

Thanks in advance to all the Droid pros out there and sorry for sucking up bandwidth on a question that has most likely already been covered (ad nauseum)!
  2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

3. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

The funny thing is, after I posted my original post I was tooling around on the forums some more and thought, "this JSM guy seems to know a thing or two about the Droid" and that's when I got your reply. So number one, thank you for replying, number two, thank you for the link. I will explore that one.

So I am assuming by your post that the next step for me to go from my current root (2.2) setup to get to where I want to be (stock), is to sbf (which I can use the guide you posted)? At that point, I can manually grab the update, update, then reroot 2.3?

I don't have tons of experience with TiBu, but I think I made the backup properly. Under the "Batch Backup/Restore" section, I ran a "Move/Integrate" action with the "Move user apps to the SD card." I'm almost tempted to unmount and remove the SD card from the phone while I flash just so I know they will still be there, lol. Thanks again!

Cheers!
    1 person likes this.
  4. JSM9872

Well first and foremost you get a "like" for being so nice :)

And yes that would be the path to follow: SBF, manually OTA, and root using the one-click.
    But to make a back up of your user apps go into Menu > Batch > and then use the "Backup all user apps" option.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Many thanks for those instructions! Those were clutch. I previously found a lot of "how tos" but none of them were nearly that in depth. And I think I successfully flashed it. None of my root programs started up, but I still have access to all of my other user apps. Now I need to download the update.

So I went to settings-about phone- (and went to tap on "system updates" but it is grayed out). So now I'm not sure how I can go about getting GB. On the top status bar thingy, there is a blue-ish triangle that normally isn't there (in between the wifi and 3G icons). I'm not sure what that is. I'm sure there is a way to get GB despite me not being able to dl it directly, just not sure how. If you have any more pro-tips for me, that would be great. Thanks again!
  6. JSM9872

Typically that indicates that you need to activate your phone which is normal after an SBF is performed.
    Dial *228 then when it prompts you to, select option 1.

And do you mean that all the apps/settings you had before are still there?
  7. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Ah ha! So I reactivated my phone (per your instruction), and now I have the option of downloading an update.

And yes, all of my apps and settings that I had previously are still there. I backed up everything to my SD card. And I even tried an experiment. I removed my SD card and tried running my apps and it said that they weren't installed. Then once I put in back in, I had access to my apps again. Hopefully I still flashed it correctly...

But I'm going to try and d/l then install the update.
  8. JSM9872

If you had to reactivate then I am going to guess it worked just fine.

And as far as apps still being there, I have never had that happen. However, this is likely due to the fact that I have never made it out of an SBF without needing to do a factory reset from stock recovery (have always gotten stuck in a boot loop). Out of curiosity did you have to do the reset or no?
  9. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Well, I never got stuck in the bootloop so that could be the reason. I was able to follow the steps on that link you posted with all of the expected results. The only hangup I had was after I already got the "PASS" from rsd. My phone was still connected and still in bootloader and I wasn't sure what to do next. So I just held down the power button until it turned off, then did it again to start her up again. And to my surprise all apps and settings were there. Hopefully that helps clarify it.
    1 person likes this.
  10. JSM9872

Yes it does. I assumed it was due to not needing the reset but wanted to double check :)
  11. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

So it looks like the update finally went through. It took longer than I was expecting. However, now all of the apps that I had backed up on my SD card can't be accessed. Under settings-applications-manage applications, I can see all of the apps on the SD card, just can't access them through their normal icon. I'm still tinkering with it. I'm not sure if I need to root first, and then use TiBu to restore access or something.
  12. JSM9872

I don't really tinker much with moving apps to and from SD so I am not sure how best to get them up and running again. Once you root you could try and use tibu to move them back to phone. Not sure what this would do though so I would not recommend it.

Your best bet would be to restore them from the backup you made. Then you will have your downloaded apps and data restored which I have done numerous times successfully.
  13. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Well, from posting that last comment to now, I can magically use the apps again. However, none of their normal icons show. It shows that goofy-looking android gear thing for any app that isn't locally installed. Gonna try a reboot and then a root!
  14. JSM9872

Hey sometimes you just got to go with it and not ask why lol. And they have that icon because they are on the SD.

This is the root I have used and recommended many times so give it a shot if you would like: Pete's Root Tool
  15. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Rooted!

And I have icons again. My day is just getting better and better!

So I guess I can uninstall z4root now. Thanks again for all of the help. I'd still be searching for a good guide to flashing if it weren't for your quick response. Well played sir, well played.
  16. JSM9872

No problem. I am always glad to help out when I can.