Getting to 2.2 BB without lag?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Samiam564, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Samiam564

Samiam564 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! I hate to say this is my first post after lurking for 5days. I have been looking for a good answer to my problem but only find bits and pieces here and there.

I got my droid about a month ago and went rooted 2.1 after about 2 weeks. I was running 2.1 with BB 1.1 1ghz and loved it!

After a lot of reading and whatnot I decided to try Froyo w/ BB .4 ... Got it on there fine and then grabbed a Chevy 1.1 ulv kernel and smoked glass.

Like I have read from a few other posts, it started out fast and wonderful. Then after a day it began to get very laggy and insanely slow. So I reverted back to 2.1 with BB 1.1 again. After doing this is runs much better but I still have some of the lag that I experienced w/ 2.2 BB.

So for my question... If I wanted to go back to 2.2 with BB .4 what do I need to do to make it not laggy? I have read that I should wipe data and everything 3x but (forgive my ignorance) I use Rom manager and it gives the option and I do choose it, but how would i do it multiple times?

Should I download BB .4 and just drop it on the root of the SD card and use SPRecovery or CW?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give as much info as possible. And sorry if this is a totally noob problem but I believe I have reached my limits of rooting going at it solo... Time for some expert advice! Thank you in advance! dancedroid

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Have you thought about running 2.2 without a custom rom?:shocked:

I do it and I'm quite pleased with my Dorid. Perfect? Nope but better then 2.1.

3. Samiam564

Samiam564 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Might be a possibility but my concern is that I will still have lag issues when I go to 2.2. If I can get 2.2 to run flawlessly (cross your fingers on the flawlessly part) Than I can look at adding roms, and other goodies.

But what would be the best way to get to 2.2 without having issues? (Besides OTA)

Edit: If I want the BB 0.4 should I just put the .zip on the root of my SD card and install it that way? But idk which to use for it... CW or SP? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. modified

modified Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you wipe cache before installing BB v0.4?

I'm running it for days and it's working just fine. I used CW if that helps.

5. Samiam564

Samiam564 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I did a wipe before installing it. I did everything through Rom manager tho. I'm just wondering if I should just try setting it on the root and wiping like 3 times before installing it.

6. Samiam564

Samiam564 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 0.4 BB downloaded and I want to make sure this will hopefully work better than before... If I drop it on to the root of my sd card (I have read I dont need to re-name it with CW?) and reboot into recovery (CW) and wipe data and cache (about 3x) then install 0.4 from the sd card while in recovery. Should that hopefully net me a better install than doing it with rom manager?

7. USCChem

USCChem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly, I don't think it's a problem with the way you're installing it, but yes, that should give you the most ideal install.

I blame the Froyo launcher. I swear, it's garbage. I have no idea why it seems to be so sluggish, but it is and it bogs everything down.

Have you tried LauncherPro or ADW Launcher from the market? They are both much faster, and I bet you will see the phone become very snappy.

Also, in the Spare Parts app, make sure you set your Transition and Window Animations to "Fast" or "Off."

8. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1. I installed BB 0.4 via ROM Manager (from BB 0.3) without wiping. I'm using a Chevy ULV kernel and Smoked Glass and have no lag issues, FWIW.

I have been using Launcher Pro for quite some time though.

9. ParadingLunatic

ParadingLunatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never really been happy with most custom roms. They enable or disable features or add/remove features that I like or don't like. Then they add a theme on there which is almost always mostly black and unfortunately I have a few apps that do not allow me to change the notification icon and I'm not about to deal with editing the APK every time there is an update to the app just so I can see the notification icon. Also I notice that most of them seem to slow down after a while although granted I think on most of the 2.2 custom roms the major issue is with the 2.2 launcher. It really does suck. I'm running the "official" FRF84B on my Droid and it is blazing fast along with ADB launcher or sometimes Launcher Pro. Both are outstanding launchers and are definitely my favorite and both are very fast. Really from everything I've read and heard, it seems like different roms and kernels run differently on every Droid out there. I could work great on yours where it works like crap on your friends. That's why I just stick with the stock rom, just rooted, and I add all the hacks and tweaks from the other custom roms that I like and leave out the rest.

10. Samiam564

Samiam564 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and did the install last night. Somehow when i got into the phone I had no contacts and the market would not open. I went ahead and did a factory reset and then installed it. Worked like a charm!

And so far so goo. I'm running BB 0.4 with the smoked blue theme and Chevy's 1.2ulv.

Thanks again everyone!