Getting rid of voicemail notification

oldtrucks

Reaction score
I have the same issue but don't have Google Voice or if I do have no idea how I got it. I have two email accounts through Google and neither show the GV application. The voicemail on the Droid Icon shows 1 voicemail but when I go check I have no new messages.

warrior21

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you, it seems to be a common issue

jtown82

Reaction score
*86 still not working

i found this thread after the debacle google voice has caused me. first i had the notification that would never go away then i realized when i was hitting *86 it was wanting me to leave myself a message. ive deactivated gv uninstalled it from my phone ect done everything possible. i did the *73 multiple times. but when i hit *86 it still just goes straight to asking me to leave a message on my verizon voicemail. this is my first smartphone... so im still new to alot of this but this is so freaking frustrating. google voice has been nothing but a hassle so far.

this is what i get for trying to run before walking i guess.

can anyone help with a simple explanation of how to get my voicemail back to normal and to stop wanting me to leave a vm... its dumb that i have to interupt the vm with pound and put in my pin each time just to check my VM from my actually phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV isn't really that complicated but I can see how it would be overwhelming to people not familiar with it. When you "activate GV voicemail for your phone" you're really just setting up conditional call forwarding to your GV number so it can handle voicemail.

As for why you're Verizon voicemail gives you your own greeting when you dial *86, I have no idea on this matter. What do you have set under Settings->Call settings->Voicemail service?

jtown82

Reaction score
under Voicemail service. i have one option. My carrier and its selected. one of my co-workers who has never used GV said her phone always from day 1. when she hit the VM icon or *86 would play her VM to her right off the bat and she would have to hit #and her pin.... so is this normal for verizon voice mail?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
under Voicemail service. i have one option. My carrier and its selected. one of my co-workers who has never used GV said her phone always from day 1. when she hit the VM icon or *86 would play her VM to her right off the bat and she would have to hit #and her pin.... so is this normal for verizon voice mail?
Don't know if this is relevant or not but half the times I use call forwarding it messes up my google voice used as my voicemail so I finally just stopped using it.

wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

grinch61

Reaction score
Clearing Voice mail icon

Well, that's strange as well, because it used to go to my voice mail. Now when I dial *86 I hear my own voice mail greeting and then a tone to leave myself a voice mail.

However, after that happened I realized that google voice gave me a voice mail number and I went into the settings and changed my default voice mail number to that number instead. When I call the google voice mail number I get my voice mail box. It says I have no new messages.
Dial *73 and hit send. After you hear the beeps you can hang up and try *86 again

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thank you warrior21...the *73 worked and I was able to clear the voice mail icon.

warrior21

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked for you

Last edited: