Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Holding out hope is fine, but get too wrapped up in it.

It's a terrible feeling when you suddenly realize that Santa Claus is fake.

Its funny to sit and watch everyone realize santa is fake. Im not christian, so I did this. Its hilarious. This however, would not be funny cause this needs to happen one way or another.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Santa Claus is fake?!?!?!? What? :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DyMiC

Reaction score
No posts since Gingerbread has been leaked and rooted...

:unsure:

This sucks. Really. It blows. Even though my Rooted Gingerbread is smooth as silk... it blows.

I'm really hoping that something happens.

I know nothing about writing code, or anything developer-wise. I've barely been with Android for almost a year. Rooting and ROMing are about the extent of my knowledge.

But from what I've just read here on these forums and whatnot.... this is what I've gathered.

There has to be some way to hack the hardware of the phone to find out the information needed to crack the bootloader. If all the drivers are signed, and the HARDWARE (the phone itself) looks for that signature, then isn't there some way of getting into that hardware, and rewriting the programming stored in the hardware to where it doesn't even bother to look for a signature/key, therefore making it to where we can but any bootloader we want on, and therefore making the whole phone unlocked?

It's just an idea. Like I said, I really have no clue what I'm talking about at all. I'm just reading and thinking. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Even with the signing keys it's impossible to fake a signature.

The only way this puppy is getting hacked is after many, many computer-years of effort in a brute-force attack. The only way that'll happen in our lifetimes is if it's a distrubuted-model, similar to the BOINC project, and even then it's iffy. However, if the bypass works on GB then there's a very good chance we'll have truly custom kernels running eventualy.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
There's a bootloader bypass? If so please explain.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Even with the signing keys it's impossible to fake a signature.

The only way this puppy is getting hacked is after many, many computer-years of effort in a brute-force attack. The only way that'll happen in our lifetimes is if it's a distrubuted-model, similar to the BOINC project, and even then it's iffy. However, if the bypass works on GB then there's a very good chance we'll have truly custom kernels running eventualy.

My X will be here in a couple of days, then my kexec adventure begins...if it can be done on the Sony Xperia surely it can be done on the X.

Go around the bootloader, it is the only way...or Motorola feeling generous after EOL.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ill get a hold of this guy and see what he did. Any contact info? I really didn't see any in the thread

Sent from my Droid X running AOSP and linux kernel 2.6.38.

teh_g

Reaction score
Ill get a hold of this guy and see what he did. Any contact info? I really didn't see any in the thread

Can you send him a PM.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
From what I'm getting from this is the X10 has a different hardware arch than us, hence is easier to use kexec on. It even looks like they're using my driver patch on it (could be convergent evolution though).

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
From what I'm getting from this is the X10 has a different hardware arch than us, hence is easier to use kexec on. It even looks like they're using my driver patch on it (could be convergent evolution though).

What makes you think a different arch is any easier to work with?

Sarg338

Reaction score
Any update to this since the last post?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums