Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ill have to throw that in for the next release. I use the Arch kexec-utils on my phone, they seem to work. Gentoo's doesn't. Did he get them from the trunk or another distro I wonder.
I added a ticket (110216-1 when I upload it to git). I would really like the dmesg output too.

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
Wow!
I think I came across this thread a while back at that time it seemed, like finding a way to break thru the bootloader lost steam. All the dedicated ppl involve i applaud you, a standing "O" if you would. Running a a full custom ROM is nearing, I for one won't switch from my DX until the day comes where I can say I've owned a fully customized DX...=D
I don't know half of what you guys know, but if I did. I would be on it like a crackhead with a whole bathroom floor to himself. I was looking to go back to skool, but didn't know exactly what for, but it seems like I've found a calling, haha. I've had experience with computers, linux to be exact. Oh man! oh man! I should have never stop, if I had known...=(
Its not to late though, so if you don't mine, what those one have to put on his college app to aquire the knowledge to one day when asked upon will gladly step up to the plate..

[Sent using Smoke Signals!!!]

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
CK is a sir. CK also has a very creepy story to tell about CK's name. However, this is not the place for CK to tell his name's story. :)

Keep an eye out over on Android.net as the thread started over there has had a lot of hits and a lot of messages. Someone might not have an account over here and be offering help over there! :)

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Why don't we all just launch same massive twitter attempt on Motorola saying that we are done with their company as long as they keep up this practice? They've locked this and the D2, the Original Milestone, and now the Atrix, Bionic, and Xoom.

I think the worst possible thing that could happen is for them to gain attention, and there are certainly enough people that feel slighted by the bootloader.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Why don't we all just launch same massive twitter attempt on Motorola saying that we are done with their company as long as they keep up this practice? They've locked this and the D2, the Original Milestone, and now the Atrix, Bionic, and Xoom.

I think the worst possible thing that could happen is for them to gain attention, and there are certainly enough people that feel slighted by the bootloader.
99.something% of cell phone users run stock. The "unwashed masses" don't really care if the bootloader is locked or not, so calling attention to them just works out as free advertising for them.

Getsome122

Reaction score
Yeah alot of people don't realize those of us who highly modify our phones seem like a large group when you look at all the forums but in truth we really are only about 1% of the whole and to the manufacturers we are pretty insignificant.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

andylulzyou

Reaction score

99.something% of cell phone users run stock. The "unwashed masses" don't really care if the bootloader is locked or not, so calling attention to them just works out as free advertising for them.

I don't think that 99% is the case at all, but even so look at the community here for the DX/D2 and then at XDA and DX Forums. And then you have the whole Milestone community.

And if you manage to get Koush or Cyanogen to do it I'm sure some of their 60,000 combined followers would also hop on board.

We may not have enough #'s to actually threaten their sales process, but we do have enough to make some noise about it, and make some noise about their hypocrisy of locking a bootloader on an open source platform.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Their response, and it's a reasonable one, is that the software is open, but their hardware isn't. Did you see the comment left on a youtube video by one of their admins? They told people to buy other hardware if they want to hack their phone. Yes, there was backlash, but the new phones are still rolling out locked tight. Motorola can make "gestures" to the world at large, but until they actually DO something about it, their answer remains as stated. If you want to hack your phone, buy someone else's hardware.

The joy of this project is that, other than the drivers, it's totally independent of the hardware -- unless I'm totally off-base -- because it works within the Linux framework of Android. As such, and wonderfully so, it can be relatively easily expanded to all the above hardware; it just needs to be perfected here and modified for the other handsets. When this works 100% it means that Motorola can lock their hardware all they want (and they will, because they hate hackers), we'll still have a backdoor.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I kinda wish Linus would put the kernel under the GPL3 so this stuff wouldn't happen. It's a really restrictive license, but I think it's needed now.

MrKleen

Reaction score

Motorola doesn't care about us as stated by others. They actually stated that we could go elsewhere... :( And I am sad about that since I loved my D1 and what I could do with it. I then got the D2 and now the X and am no longer pleased because of the bootloader and parts of Blur.

"Droid" had me and I would have been loyal to Motorola for a long time, but I am going to do what they wish and go elsewhere. I am moving to the HTC Thunderbolt as soon as it comes out.

I will still support this effort and may return to Moto if this succeeds. My son still has an X and can't afford to throw it away, so he is stuck for awhile.

It really sucks that Motorola would lock down their phones for the sole purpose of making 1 percent of their customers unhappy.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Their response, and it's a reasonable one, is that the software is open, but their hardware isn't. Did you see the comment left on a youtube video by one of their admins? They told people to buy other hardware if they want to hack their phone. Yes, there was backlash, but the new phones are still rolling out locked tight. Motorola can make "gestures" to the world at large, but until they actually DO something about it, their answer remains as stated. If you want to hack your phone, buy someone else's hardware.

The joy of this project is that, other than the drivers, it's totally independent of the hardware -- unless I'm totally off-base -- because it works within the Linux framework of Android. As such, and wonderfully so, it can be relatively easily expanded to all the above hardware; it just needs to be perfected here and modified for the other handsets. When this works 100% it means that Motorola can lock their hardware all they want (and they will, because they hate hackers), we'll still have a backdoor.

Yeah and did you see Motorola's saving face comment right after that? They don't want to have to deal with some huge bootloader issue that can attrack attention.

And hopefully this project works, although I can't believe it will especially seeing some well respected devs tweet that there are no drivers to be written for it.

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
we are essentially handwritting the drivers for this to work. but we dont have anyone on that yet, AFAIK. Help is needed, and ive put out help requests via here, twitter, android.net, xda, and droidxforums.com .....

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If we kill our phones its our problem not theirs. When we start modding we accept the risk that we may do something that can't be fixed however we still mod. I just wish Moto would give us the choice rather than taking it away..... By locking it they pretty much guarentee that someone will try to bypass it and end up completely killing the phone.

I would love to help with the drivers but I know next to nothing about linux or coding really...

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If we kill our phones its our problem not theirs. When we start modding we accept the risk that we may do something that can't be fixed however we still mod. I just wish Moto would give us the choice rather than taking it away..... By locking it they pretty much guarentee that someone will try to bypass it and end up completely killing the phone.

I would love to help with the drivers but I know next to nothing about linux or coding really...

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Actually moto phones are some of the easiest to fix. They really did a great job on being able to fix a bricked phone. RSDlite is amazing and runs great on WINE.