Getting a replacement due to dust

djs

Reaction score
Hey guys so I've had my Droid since November and recently noticed dust under the screen. I looked around this forum and saw that people suggested getting a replacement phone from Verizon. So my question is will Verizon really replace the phone for free? And if I get a new phone will I be able to just re-download all my apps and contacts just by putting in my Gmail account?

Relex

Reaction score
Good question, my friend has dust under his screen and was wondering the same thing.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been talked about many times. Yes, you can get a replacement for dust under the screen. The best way to do this is to call Verizon and have them send you one out, as opposed to bringing into a Verizon store. Some stores will change it for you right away, others will argue with you. But customer service won't give you a bad time at all.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat man, but I think I'll keep my Droid and just deal with it until the Droid 2 comes out or something. But it is thoroughly annoying when you're in direct sunlight, I can't read anything in the top right corner there is so much dust.

>=(

I'm just scared to death that the referb they send me will be dysfunctional somehow and I'll keep cycling Droid after Droid like some people here have had to do.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat man, but I think I'll keep my Droid and just deal with it until the Droid 2 comes out or something. But it is thoroughly annoying when you're in direct sunlight, I can't read anything in the top right corner there is so much dust.

>=(

I'm just scared to death that the referb they send me will be dysfunctional somehow and I'll keep cycling Droid after Droid like some people here have had to do.

Really unfounded fears, but you do never know. If it were me I'd do it in a heartbeat.

OP
D

djs

Reaction score
This has been talked about many times. Yes, you can get a replacement for dust under the screen. The best way to do this is to call Verizon and have them send you one out, as opposed to bringing into a Verizon store. Some stores will change it for you right away, others will argue with you. But customer service won't give you a bad time at all.

Do you know if it would be a new phone? Or a referb

dclutter1

Reaction score
I don't think VZW will give you a new phone unless you are within your 30 day window. EDIT: Guess I was wrong about this :p

If you happened to "lose" the phone, you can make an insurance claim, provided you have insurance. Of course, that will cost you the deductible.

The apps that you've bought and your contacts are tied to your google account. You'll be able to redownload the apps and the contacts should populate upon logging in.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you're in your first 30 days it's new. Beyond that it's a refurb.

Relex

Reaction score
If you are worried about resetting up your phone. I use my backup pro to backup my installed apps and bookmarks. It only took me maybe 10mins to get my droid reset up when I got my replacement.

OP
D

djs

Reaction score

If you're in your first 30 days it's new. Beyond that it's a refurb.

Ehhhh I rather not take my chances with a refurb. The dust isn't that bad.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

>=(

Really unfounded fears, but you do never know. If it were me I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Well even if I get it replaced, I work construction...even though it's in my pocket I work in the dustiest environment known to man. Hardware wise, it's going to keep happening anyway I think. But if it gets any worse I might have too.