Getting a moto droid, comig from bb storm1

elusiveaura

Reaction score
Any words of advice from the previous Storm owners? I don't know anything about this phone and I've seen a lot of posts about rooting and overclocking. I don't want to do any of that but I have seen these phones with HTC backgrounds and weather widgets, fb, apps, etc. Question is, what is the app store on this phone and where do I get BASIC knowledge about this phone?

Most of the posts on this forum are more in depth. I'm a newbie on this phone so I'll need the basics at first. Thanks for any help.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I came from a BB Curve and I just read this board alot and played with the phone.

The only thing you'll miss is profiles, but even then. You can download an app to do that.

The app store is called the marketplace and that will be on your phone by default.

Just play around with it and if you have any questions, search here, and if you can't find your answer, make a new thread.

Welcome to the fun side.

gruve

Reaction score
Your BB Storm is going to seem like a piece of sh*t after you get the moto droid. I came from using BB pearl for 2 years. Read the msg board, use the search button and trust everyones knowledge that the droid rocks. You won't be disappointed.

OP
E

elusiveaura

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, gents :) The one the verizon rep showed me was amazing looking with everything he had on it.

I do agree I'll probably hate the storm after I get the droid tomorrow. About the profiles, I won't miss them at all because I never customized mine. As long as it has loud, normal, vibrate, etc I'll be happy. I never change all that stuff. I just want to make sure I get fb alerts and weather updates. Weatherberry on the storm was amazing. I hope there is something similar to that on the DROID.

The google navigation is free as well, correct?

gruve

Reaction score
Yes, navigation is free as long as you have the data plan. Most of the applications are free as well. I've only paid for one so far.

OP
E

elusiveaura

Reaction score
Well I should be all set then because if I have the Storm I aleady have the data plan so it should be as simple as activating it. I really hope I don't regret my purchase. Going TO a BB was a huge thing for me, now that I'm leaving it, I'm kinda nervous, especially about my email etc. lol

rob15594

Reaction score
Don't look back. I got $145 out of my used storm on Ebay. I don't miss it at all.

Nyssa520

Reaction score
Well I should be all set then because if I have the Storm I aleady have the data plan so it should be as simple as activating it. I really hope I don't regret my purchase. Going TO a BB was a huge thing for me, now that I'm leaving it, I'm kinda nervous, especially about my email etc. lol

I used the BB for 3 years. My last BB was the storm 1. The storm doesn't even compare to my droid. The droid is sooooo much easier to use, more customizable, and provides all the same features as BB except better. You won't look back. :icon_ banana:

liquidzoo

Reaction score
I came from BB as well (Pearl, then Storm2, but only had the Storm2 for 2 weeks), and I have not once regretted my decision.

I noticed your question about weather. There are several weather apps, some free and some paid (most apps I've used are $2 or less). One huge plus that I've experienced, as well as many others here, is the ability to customize the Droid. Make it my own, rather than 1 out of a million other phones that, more or less, look identical. Have a look through the Screenshots thread and you'll know what I mean.

You will not regret this decision, not for a moment. The only thing I've missed from BB world is BBM, and GTalk works (for the most part, the BB client has some weird bugs) on my wife's Curve, so I don't even miss that very much.

gwilde

Reaction score
No regrets. I used storm for all my business and the Droid is so far ahead not even comparable. Syncing data and handling 9 email accounts is a breeze. Not paid for a single app yet. I am a weather nut too and have 4 free apps giving me more weather than I need.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a curve switched to the Droid and it doesn't even compare - the Droid rocks. There are a ton of free awesome weather apps including one that will be available in 2.1 that is the best.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Came from the S1 as well.
Don't worry about free memory. The Droid isn't plagued by memory leaks. Free memory OCD is a thing of the past.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the Storm for about a year then "upgraded" to the Storm 2 which I will admit was better then the S1. The Droid just smoked the S2. And I truly believe coming from a Storm just makes you appreciate the Droid that much more.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Any words of advice from the previous Storm owners?

Here is a word of advice. Get rid of that joke that Blackberry put out and get the Droid.

Your BB Storm is going to seem like a piece of sh*t after you get the moto droid.

The Storm seemed like a piece of sh*t BEFORE I got the Droid.

I do agree I'll probably hate the storm after I get the droid tomorrow.

I hated the Storm before I got the Droid. I hated it after I got the Droid, and I still hate it. I hate that I wasted a year of my life with that piece of monkey crap phone. Someone should go to jail for putting that phone out. Im glad I slammed my Storm into the wall and smashed it, which forced my hand into getting the Droid. I wasnt due for an upgrade quite yet, but they let me anyway.

And I truly believe coming from a Storm just makes you appreciate the Droid that much more.

You would appreciate a tin can and string after using the Storm 1 for any length of time

Can anyone tell I HATED that phone??? "All you need is love?" Really RIM?? I guess after you leave that piece of crap behind you will be in love with your next phone. BTW, I HATE those commercials too. They make no sense whatsoever.

fgw

Reaction score
Ex Storm 1 Owner

As someone who left Blackberry world a month ago - I can tell you that I have NO regrets. The Droid is awesome. I am not a techie person. I got a Bberry for business reasons and got the Storm 1 when it first came out. I lasted for a year and decided I had to do something else. I started reading the Droid forums before I got the Droid.

I recommend that you read the threads that are out there for newbies. The amount of information can seem overwhelming at first but, as you read, it begins to make more and more sense. Don't let anyone tell you that the Droid is not for business people - they are wrong and probably haven't ever used a Droid. It is great.

As others have told you - there are so many free apps that you won't know which ones to use. Just try them out! You don't have to worry about not having enough memory on your phone and, since they are free, you can delete them if you don't like them. I only paid for one app that I needed so I could transfer some documents I had on my Storm 1.

Read, read, read the forums. I still don't understand everything I'm reading because it is over my head, but I learn new stuff everyday. Have fun with your Droid :yeahbaby01: