getting a droid x without a data plan

qman66

Reaction score
i want to buy someone a droid x as a gift but they arent going to pay for a data plan. simply because they are usually home. so i was thinking they can use wifi at home at have access to everything. someone told me they bought a smartphone like 2 years ago and verizon was charging them a data plan and they threatened to cancel their account and verizon said we will just take off the data plan. they are still using that phone without the data plan. does anyone know if this idea will still work? should i risk buying the smartphone?

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
I would not risk it. Two years ago Verizon was a different company. I now refer to them as "The Man". They watch what phones get activated a lot closer now. My gf and I got Motorola Q9m's for our birthdays off contract 2 years ago for $80 and activated them on Alltel no problem. When we got new phones this year after the takeover and gave them to younger siblings, as soon as they were activated Verizon started charging $30/month for unlimited data. They didn't even use the data, but Verizon started charging them without notice or warning. Beware. They've really changed their tune about this. That was my experience. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
I would not risk it. Two years ago Verizon was a different company. I now refer to them as "The Man". They watch what phones get activated a lot closer now. My gf and I got Motorola Q9m's for our birthdays off contract 2 years ago for $80 and activated them on Alltel no problem. When we got new phones this year after the takeover and gave them to younger siblings, as soon as they were activated Verizon started charging $30/month for unlimited data. They didn't even use the data, but Verizon started charging them without notice or warning. Beware. They've really changed their tune about this. That was my experience. Good luck!

thanks but did they try to remove the data plan? were they able to?

A

abn75

It's been tried. No one I know or trust has ever had any luck. Vzw straight up tells you that if you want a smart phone on their network you will have a data plan.

Sent from my DX running DS4.2

D

dankarlinski

As mentioned before, they will catch it eventually.

It is in the fine print that all smartphones must have data plans. Its in the contract, so they did tell you....

Att did something like this for awhile, but then stopped. Problem with verizon is, the ESN number flags that it is a smartphone, and will force a data plan on activation...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All smartphones on VZW require a data plan.
No way around it.

jmorton10

Reaction score
The last phone that was available on VZ with no data was the 6800(Titan)

I used one of those for a few months with no data, but by the time I moved to a TouchPro VZ had changed the rules & data was mandatory.

~John

Snow02

Reaction score
I don't believe it. Screenshot your account.

shadowpunx

Reaction score
MOD Edit: No for sale posts on DF

Last edited by a moderator:

jmorton10

Reaction score
I don't believe it. Screenshot your account.

I don't believe it either.

As soon as you give VZ your ESN, it tells you a $30 data plan is mandatory & the phone won't activate without it.

~John

jmorton10

Reaction score
All the people with $30 data plans are "unlimited" & you don't need to be grandfathered in to get it.

I remember when the TouchPro first came out, a lot of people where furious because they couldn't upgrade from an XV6800 to a TP without adding a data package they didn't want to pay for.

~John

MMASUPAFAN

Reaction score
My understanding is that new ppl can't get unlimited data plans...we can't even lower our minutes or we would lose our unlimited data that came from Verizon....if I'm wrong plz let me know