Getting a Droid X tomorrow? Consider donating your old phone, asks Verizon

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
jjpi7p.jpg

Going out tomorrow to purchase the Moto Droid X? Instead of tossing your old phone in the garbage, or letting it collect dust in an attic box, Verizon is asking you to donate it. Since 2001, Verizon Wireless has been actively involved in Hopeline, a charity that assists victims of domestic violence. Through its consumers' phone donations, Verizon has helped raise over $7.9 million for Hopeline, and has distributed over 90,000 recycled phones with free wireless service to victims of domestic abuse.

Customers upgrading to one of Verizon Wireless’ exciting new 3G smartphones, such as DROID X by Motorola or the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 smartphone, should remember that it’s easy to recycle their old cell phones and help a worthy community cause in the process.
All Verizon asks if you could do your part, and drop off your old phone for donation. To be safe, Verizon recommends you wipe all personal data before submitting your phone, but Verizon's recycling center will wipe it anyway. To participate, here are the instructios: Pre-package your old phone, download and attach this form: http://aboutus.vzw.com/communityservice/HopeLineLabel.pdf , and drop it into a Hopeline bin at any Verizon Wireless store.

Check out the full Press Release below:

07/14/2010

BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Eager to get your hands on the new DROID X by Motorola, but wondering what to do with your old device? Verizon Wireless offers an easy solution that you can feel good about. With Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine® cell phone recycling and refurbishing program, you can simply drop off or mail in your old wireless phone and, at the same time, help victims of domestic violence.

It’s simple to donate old phones to HopeLine. Customers can drop their old phones in the HopeLine bin at their local Verizon Wireless Communications Stores. Those upgrading online can donate by downloading the postage-paid mailing label available at www.verizonwireless.com/hopelinemailinglabel.

Since the October 2001 launch of the HopeLine cell phone recycling program, Verizon Wireless has collected more than 7 million phones. Phones donated to HopeLine that can be refurbished are sold for reuse, and those without value are recycled in an environmentally sound way under a zero landfill policy. HopeLine has distributed more than 90,000 phones with free wireless service to victims of domestic violence and awarded cash grants of more than $7.9 million to organizations working to prevent domestic violence.

Verizon Wireless encourages customers who donate phones to HopeLine to erase any personal data on their phones before donation, and if in doubt, leave it to the professionals. As part of the refurbishing process:

• Verizon Wireless’ recycling vendor scrubs the phone of all personal data prior to distributing it for re-use.
  • The donated phone is hooked up to a special data erasure service, which removes all personal information from devices in compliance with new information privacy laws.
  • Devices are reset to factory settings, so phone numbers, messages, games and images are removed.
Customers upgrading to one of Verizon Wireless’ exciting new 3G smartphones, such as DROID X by Motorola or the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 smartphone, should remember that it’s easy to recycle their old cell phones and help a worthy community cause in the process.

For additional information on Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine program and store locations, visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.
Source VZW

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems to me if you took a MotoDroid in there and got an X you should also get a tax deduction.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think I'll sell my iPhone 3GS on craigslist. But I agree with the poster above, if you bring in a verizon phone that is still somewhat current and useable. A discount should be given. I think Verizon is going to be making money off this somehow.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Hell a Droid for a Droid X? I should not only get a tax deduction but VZW should pay me to take the Droid X from them.

nhat

Reaction score
at this point, that's probably the only way i'll be able to get rid of my blackberry storm without tossing it in the trash :lol: