1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Getting a DROID tomorrow. What do I need to know about 2.1?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Silastic Armorfiend, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silastic Armorfiend

Silastic Armorfiend New Member

I know 2.1 is coming. Sooner or later.

So, IF I wanted to mod my droid, shoud I do it while it is android 2.0 (So I can restore to 2.0), or should I let the Droid update to Android 2.1 THEN back her up?
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

If you don't mind waiting an undetermined amount of time, don't do anything. I'd advise that anyway.

Bottom line, you're likely to be able to root/mod on 2.1 later, so you might as well check out the phone in stick form for a while since you're just now getting it.

My opinion only.
  3. ieatscones

ieatscones New Member

Well, first things first, congrats, you'll be getting one of the greatest phones ever made.
    Ok, well youre pretty lucky because the LONG AWAITED official Moto 2.1 update IS coming out TOMORROW! So once you turn it on, after about 1 minute- 1 hour, a notification will arrive asking you if you wanna do an "Over-The-Air" (wireless) update to 2.1...
    ONE THING THAT YOULL MISS OUT if you dont root, are things like many custom themes, wireless tether, overclocking, but besides that, as far as 2.1 goes, as of tomorrow, youll be good!
  4. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Jonny 2.1 comes out tomorrow says moto

and imo lol root its asap before the ota forces you to update but thats just me lol took me um.... a long time to talk someone >.> into rooting lol
  5. ieatscones

ieatscones New Member

yup, hes right

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  6. Silastic Armorfiend

Silastic Armorfiend New Member

Thanks for the responses. My big fear is that this update is "Sony PSP-esque", and will contain all sorts of hidden code that will prevent future modding /overclocking / tethering / rooting.

I have been sitting on the sidelines for awhile, but it is droid time. It appears that Motorola is more accepting of modding than sony. (In a perfect world, all companies would support rooting and modding as much as Tivo or Roomba, but I digress...)

A slight fear is that, I will WAIT to root this phone, and will find out that this update prevents me from ever rooting the phone. (And all I would have had to do was to root it while it was 2.0, and save a copy so I can always go back to 2.0 if 2.1 is mod-unfriendly, so to speak...
  7. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

no way to know if youll be able to go back to 2.0.1 till its out
  8. voydas

voydas New Member

If you go in tomorrow and get the phone and you get the notification asking if you want to apply to OTA update click No.

Take it home
    Root, make an SPRecovery

hop on the forums here and read a bit about the official 2.1 update and if you want you can apply it through the settings menu
  9. LtKen

LtKen New Member

2.1 is being released in batches, so it could take a week plus before everyone has it. Hence the undetermined amount of time.
  10. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Leave it alone and learn to use it for now, by the end of the week you'll be on 2.1 and can then do what you want.
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I think the OP got his answer on this. Because we want to limit the amount of threads on 2.1 I'm going to close this one now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.