get updates for apps restored with astro?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tktouch12, Feb 18, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just flashed bugless beast. Before that I backupped my apps using astro. I then restored them with astro after flashing. They don't show up in my downloades in market. Will I get updates? Or how do I. Make the market know I have them??
    Thanks
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You know, I don't really know lol never really thought about that...

I've been doing this for a while now, and haven't even noticed missing out on any updates or anything..
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I remember somebody saying that if you restored apps after saving them in Astro that you wouldn't get the update notification. Since I didn't wipe when I rooted my phone all my apps are still there and notifications still come. Don't know how you did it natediddy. If you wiped and you're still getting notifications then I would say the OP has nothing to worry about.

So did you wipe?
  4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    This is the same problem that most restore apps have. You can have the programs backed up but once you actually restore them, the system for whatever reason will not register them back in the apps again. So the only option you have that I know of is to redownload them again. If anyone knows another way of doing this, i would love to know also. :)
  5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I always wipe my data when flashing a new ROM...but I don't think (now that I have thought about it) I am getting notifications for them from the Market.....like New2u mentioned, I think they just don't register back with the Market when you reinstall the from Astro...
  6. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Alright, so I just went back to Sholes 2.0.05 last night and did a "wipe \data" install. I didn't even consider that my apps would not register with the market after re-installing.

I just checked, and all my apps show up, and they DO show available updates. However, I didn't use Astro to backup my apps. Instead, after doing a clean install of the Sholes ROM I did a Nandroid advanced restore of JUST the \data. This allowed me to retain ALL of the information that my apps contained (such as passwords saved in my "Secrets" app, and my vehicle service records saved in "aCar"), as well as all of my text messages and various other info that would normally have been gone forever.

My phone, apps, text messages, etc are all exactly as they were before I flashed the Sholes ROM except for now I have all the Sholes goodies.

I'm not sure if this defeated the purpose of doing a clean "wipe \data" install of the ROM, but the phone seems to be functioning MUCH better than it did after any of my previous Sholes ROM installs without wiping \Data.
  7. evilgreg

evilgreg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try this in the future, but that sounds way too easy to be true.

Back to the main topic of this thread, no there is no way to update so its POINTLESS to use backup apps unless you want to keep an older version (ie. beautiful widgets before they got C&D). It's pointless bc if you do want updates, you need to go manually into the market and redownload the apps, therefore COMPLETELY DEFEATING THE PURPOSE of backing up!

Sorry for that rant, but this has been bothering me for a long time and I never see anyone draw attention to it.
  8. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have no reason to lie about it...it works for me, so I guess that's all that really matters. If anyone else wants to try it and confirm my results, please do.
  9. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I remember reading that an app called Titanium backup (or something like that) would restore the apps and they would show as being downloaded in the market, but I'm not positive.
  10. haythem1992

haythem1992 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea sprecovery backups are the way to go they saved everything when I got a new phone made the transition painless.
  11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This may not help anyone specifically, as I too have been seeing/getting mixed results. Sometimes they will update, sometimes I have to go into my downloads.

I do back up using Astro, primarily to help me keep track of what I have. When doing the new roms, I always try and do a complete wipe to give the rom the best chance at success. And, before wiping and installing, I always perform a google sync, as I tend to keep it off most of the time.

And what I have found that seems to work the best when doing a complete wipe/factory, is make sure that when you are ready to log into market to force the reinstall, do it the first time. If you go, and leave, you may mess up market. And, with the new rom and wipe, I have found google will try and reinstall the apps, with sync, and with giving it some time. It has not always been spontaeous. I have seen reports of some folks taking over night to get google to rebuild on it's own. And back to the op, with the above, I still sometimes see no rhyme nor reason to what will continue to auto update.

Craig
  12. thericksonebay

thericksonebay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i had this same problem but what i did wich is a little inconvinent but works is when you install a new rom thats update.zip is as soon as the phone comes on from a fresh install is go straight to gmail And sign in. then i go to the market and select my downloads and all my apss i had pop up. you have to re download them all but they are still there until you close the market. workd for me
Search tags for this page

backup & restoring apps using astro