Get the first Fennec Version here!

fatkimi

Reaction score
install done, and now waiting tht app working... launch and still wating.... how long suppostly its screen appear after press launch button..???????

sarreq

Reaction score
all I get is a "launch" button which unloads the program. what am I doing wrong?

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah its pretty much pre alpha but thats normal cause the final will be out end of this year. but its really HUGE not just this 10 megs apk. it eats you 45 megs from the internal memory :D.

hughesjr

Reaction score
like the preview cant wait for better version
NOTE: Mozilla did not release this, some guy compiled it from a snapshot of their mercurial tree using some instructions on the Mozilla Mobile wiki. Do not in any way assume that Mozilla wants us to install this on our devices for testing.

hughesjr

Reaction score
I am currently compiling a version on CentOS-5 for Android 2.1 (that one was compiled for 2.0). I will also add the nspr and javascript engine as well, but I still expect that it will run like $hit ... if it was alpha or beta quality, then Mozilla would release it for us to test :)

hughesjr

Reaction score
I am currently compiling a version on CentOS-5 for Android 2.1 (that one was compiled for 2.0). I will also add the nspr and javascript engine as well, but I still expect that it will run like $hit ... if it was alpha or beta quality, then Mozilla would release it for us to test :)
OK ... as expected the version with no optimization and debugging turn on is slow as all get out. There is no real reason to push this file anywhere as it is 13M and almost identical to the one in the link on the first page.

The good news is that it made it through the entire compile process and the apk create process with warnings but no errors and it installed and ran properly on ChevyNo1's SS version 2.2.

I will try to get it to compile with debugging turned off and optimization turned on and see if it makes it through the compile process that way ... and if it is any better speed or size wise if it does compiled that way. (I had 13mb size for the APK and 53mb unzipped and installed).

creamers

Reaction score
I knew that it was a compiled version even before it was released because I read the mozilla wiki a while ago but he was smart enough to compile it.

hughesjr

Reaction score
OK, for those of you who know what gcc optimization is, the majority of the compile with the default Mozilla optimization enabled was -O ... there was some -O2 and some -Os as well.

Here is a page that discusses gcc optimization

hughesjr

Reaction score
I can not seem to edit my posts ....

OK, with default optimization and no debuginfo, the file size is 10MB and the application is 29MB installed (much better than 13/14MB and 53MB compiled the other way).

I will make this file available here:

fennek.apk

The file is compiled per the instructions on the Mozilla Android Wiki.

The only difference is that I used this mozconfig file:

Code:
# This file specifies the build flags for Firefox.  You can use it by adding:
#  . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
# to the top of your mozconfig file.

# Uncomment these two lines to use objdir with client.mk
#OBJDIR=objdir-android
#mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/$OBJDIR

#ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
# For Fennec use this instead:
ac_add_options --enable-application=mobile

ac_add_options --disable-ogg
ac_add_options --disable-wave

ac_add_options --with-arm-kuser

# Global options
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
# libxul is required
ac_add_options --enable-libxul

# mobile options
ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-printing
ac_add_options --disable-javaxpcom

# android options
ac_add_options --target=arm-android-eabi

ac_add_options --with-android-ndk="/builddir/android-ndk-r3"
ac_add_options --with-android-sdk="/builddir/android-sdk-linux_86/platforms/android-7"
ac_add_options --with-android-tools="/builddir/android-sdk-linux_86/platforms/android-7/tools"
ac_add_options --with-endian=little
ac_add_options --enable-tree-freetype
ac_add_options --enable-faststripe
ac_add_options --disable-dbm
ac_add_options --disable-ctypes

# other options
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-plugins

# ssltunnel can't build because the ndk doesn't have string, vector, or algorithm headers
ac_add_options --disable-tests

This was compiled on a CentOS-5.4 Linux machine set up per the instructions provided by mozilla here.

It is a bit quicker than the original, but is still not suited to be you everyday browser. It is also not going to be maintained for security updates and may disappear at any time. Use at your own risk.