get new email when opening the app

qwerty53

Reaction score
Hi,
I disabled the auto sync to save battery. But when I open the mail client I want it to get new mail right away. Isn't it obvious that if I opened the client I want to get new mails.
How I do that? Thanks.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I recommend turning on autosync. It basically uses no battery power. If not, I think you can refresh most email accounts by clicking the menu button and then refresh.

OP
Q

qwerty53

Reaction score
thats the whole question

That's the whole question. I do not want to go to menu

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The easiest way I can think of is to modify the source, compile, and install.

Most people probably just leave on autosync since it uses very little juice.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The easiest way I can think of is to modify the source, compile, and install.

Most people probably just leave on autosync since it uses very little juice.

Well, under most circumstances that's true. But there are important exceptions. For example, I changed the number of days to sync gmail a few days ago. Re-syncing took many hours and literally drained my battery from 100% to 0% in a few hours.

Further, I'm convinced that many people don't realize just how many apps they have that (can be configured to) sync on a regular basis. And that can be a very significant drain if there is a lot of data to synchronize. As examples, consider the standard weather/news widget introduced with 2.1, various RSS feeds, facebook, twitter, etc.

If battery drain rather than instantaneous response to incoming information is critical to you, it's a good idea to keep an eye on how many and how often your apps are configured to sync.

The OP has a legitimate point. The FeedR RSS app that I use syncs only when I open it. And it does so automatically. On the other hand, some users may prefer to be completely in control of syncing email and not wish to download an avanlanche of new mail unless they're prepared to deal with it at the time.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that OP has a valid request. I'm a stickler when it comes to things that run in the background on my droid (and on my computer). Unfortunately, I don't think that any droid email client works this way so he'd have to make his own.

Good point about how much mail is synced. I only sync inbox & sent items, and only for 3 days.

OP
Q

qwerty53

Reaction score
yes

I just got my incredible. Let me tell you iphone is much more thought out and much more intuitive. If the droid was not an open OS...
In this case even a donkey understands that if I opened my inbox I want to see new email..

Thanks,
Guys.