General theming question....

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Nismo90tt, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Nismo90tt

Nismo90tt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Creating themes, editing images, creating icons, changing status bar/notification bar, essentially editing anything.......can this be done by anyone willing to learn or do you need to have a strong background in programming/coding?
    If there is a site, thread, post, section, etc that can point me in the right direction, please let me know. I'm interested in coming up with my own stuff and would like to play around with images, etc....but I'm not sure where to start.
    Any info is appreciated, and if you think this is a lost cause and I should not pursue, please let me know. Thanks.

2. importune

importune Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Nismo90tt

Nismo90tt Member

Ratings:
    +0

I went to college for a few years for Computer Science, so I'm definitely not an idiot (not that you were implying that, I'm just stating). Then I decided I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted to do. I have the D1, but have plans to get the DX soon, and I work 24 hours on duty so I have PLENTY of time to fool around with image editing, etc.
    I've been doing research on Google and on the forums here, but haven't really found an "Idiot's Guide to Droid Development" (lol) or something of the like. That may not exist, but if its possible for anyone (with some smarts) to do it, I'm trying to figure out where to start.
    Thanks for the info....I'll look into that. I've already downloaded and installed 7zip and HxD, but haven't gotten into doing anything with them yet. I did a search for the framework-res.apk on my SDCard and came back with 35 results (not sure if thats normal), so I stopped right there and posted this thread.
    Again, thanks for the info....I'll look into it.

4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Here is a copy of "The Ultimate Theming Guide" put together by some of the great themers, it mostly deals with XML editing and is invaluable information to have :wink:

5. Nismo90tt

Nismo90tt Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks! Downloaded and will be reading (will have to hold off the D/L and installs until I can get onto WiFi.....I'm currently accessing through PDANet....and its not the fastest).

6. importune

Ratings:
    +0
    ah, and framework-res, as well as all the other stock/default rom apks, are not on your sdcard. When you install a rom, or when the factory installs stock for you, it goes onto you're phones internal memory. framework-res.apk is in /system/framework/framework-res.apk.

Also, some other important things to theme->
    /system/framework/framework-res.apk <- Most used apk for themes. All over, basic framework.
    /system/app/Contacts.apk <- Used for the contacts app, that includes the phone, call log, contacts, favorites.

Just those 2 files and you can create a basically complete theme- from there you move to widgets and other goodies.

7. Nismo90tt

Nismo90tt Member

Ratings:
    +0

7zip isn't showing a 'system'. Neither is Explorer on Windows. How am I supposed to access the /system/framework subfolder if it's not showing up?

Its setup to show 'hidden' folders.

Forgive me if I'm not up to speed on this, but I'm not seeing the files. After redoing the search for framework-res.apk files I see that it shows them in the /system and not on SDCard.

8. Nismo90tt

Nismo90tt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Scratch my last post, I forgot to uncheck the "hide system files/folders" box. I've located the files, now which of the 35 framework-res.apk files to I select to extract using 7zip?

9. importune

Ratings:
    +0
    First off, make sure your have the android SDK installed and the correct drivers. Let me know if you need help with that, I'm sure there are guides around for beginner droid users that want to use ADB.

Connect your phone with ADB. Make sure ADB recognizes the phone is there by using the command 'adb devices'. Once you have your phone connected and recognized- >

adb remount
    adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk framework-res.apk

*EDIT FRAMEWORK-RES NOW, to put it back ->*

adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    adb reboot

*REBOOTS are required when editing framework-res.apk, but not the other apks.*