General Screen Protector Question.

levelm

Reaction score
Ok guys quick question. I bought my first screen protector and was wondering if you are supposed to cover the entire screen with it? Well I did and noticed it covers the speaker and now when someone calls I can barely hear them. Is this normal or am I just an idiot who covered too much of the screen? Thanks.

rusray

Reaction score
I always wondered that myself, but never got into screen protectors. I guess I don't see the point, the screen is made from gorilla glass and is pretty unscratchable, right? What are you protecting against?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No it should not cover the speaker... any good protector will have a cutout for the speaker AND cover the home/soft keys. If you feel you need a protector (I use one) then spend the money on a decent one:icon_ devil:

Personally I recommend the Crystal:
SGPStore.com | Protector skin for your iPod, iPhone, MP3, cell phone, notebook, and more handheld devices

I always wondered that myself, but never got into screen protectors. I guess I don't see the point, the screen is made from gorilla glass and is pretty unscratchable, right? What are you protecting against?

uh.... NOOOOO!!! It scratches just as easily as any glass. If you work/play outside or around fine particulate(s) than a screen protector is mandatory. If you have a desk-job and are fairly inactive you're probably fine w/o one. Any type of sand or silica will easily scratch it so where/how you keep it will also be a factor (e.g. if you keep it in your pocket you should protect the screen).

Just search, you'll find tons of posts by people that have scratched (and broken) their screens... It amazes me how easily people by into marketing... especially product names.

Last edited:
OP
levelm

levelm

Reaction score
No it should not cover the speaker... any good protector will have a cutout for the speaker AND cover the home/soft keys. If you feel you need a protector (I use one) then spend the money on a decent one:icon_ devil:

SGPStore.com | Protector skin for your iPod, iPhone, MP3, cell phone, notebook, and more handheld devices

Thanks. Yea the one I have covers the home/soft keys but has no cutout for the speaker. I'll have to give that Crystal one a try.

rusray

Reaction score

uh.... NOOOOO!!! It scratches just as easily as any glass. If you work/play outside or around fine particulate(s) than a screen protector is mandatory. If you have a desk-job and are fairly inactive you're probably fine w/o one. Any type of sand or silica will easily scratch it so where/how you keep it will also be a factor (e.g. if you keep it in your pocket you should protect the screen).

Just search, you'll find tons of posts by people that have scratched (and broken) their screens... It amazes me how easily people by into marketing... especially product names.

Seriously? I just took a pocket knife to the lower corner of my screen and it didn't scratch at all (yes I was pressing decently hard). I don't have any sand on hand, but i'll find some tomorrow to test. I almost always keep my phone in my pocket, or in the holster I bought recently, no scratches. Plenty of fingerprints! As for broken screens.. I don't really see a film screen protector doing much good against something that's going to physically break the screen.

I'm not at all buying into the marketing of gorilla glass, as I've never technically seen it marketed. More the application of it. The first time I had ever heard of it was when I went searching what material the screen was made out of. haha.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The screen may or may not scratch easy. To me a screen protector is cheap insurance against what-ifs. And if you get a decent one it helps keep the screen from getting smudges as easy as well.

Detonation

Reaction score
Seriously? I just took a pocket knife to the lower corner of my screen and it didn't scratch at all (yes I was pressing decently hard). I don't have any sand on hand, but i'll find some tomorrow to test. I almost always keep my phone in my pocket, or in the holster I bought recently, no scratches. Plenty of fingerprints! As for broken screens.. I don't really see a film screen protector doing much good against something that's going to physically break the screen.

I'm not at all buying into the marketing of gorilla glass, as I've never technically seen it marketed. More the application of it. The first time I had ever heard of it was when I went searching what material the screen was made out of. haha.

Only materials harder than glass can scratch glass. A metal pocket knife is not harder than glass, but sand definitely is. See this: Glass Screen Durability Test: A Lesson on the Mohs Hardness Scale

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I think the standard screen protectors from VZW work well. Hole for the speaker and cut outs for the LED and sensor. It does not cover the soft keys but I guess thats ok. I'm really only worried about scratches in the viewing area.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this normal or am I just an idiot who covered too much of the screen?
I think you need some better cut screen protectors. Have you read the threads for suggestions?

There are definitely threads posted by those who can claim otherwise. Using a screen protector is really a personal judgment call. I prefer using them even though I could replace the screen or get a warranty replacement. YMMV.

Cmmsh

Reaction score

Wow, you went out of your way to test your screen. I don't think I would have had the cajones to try that. Anyway, with every phone I have had the past four years, I have used Invisible Shield from Zagg. Great product at a good price. Highly recommended.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I do every time one of these threads pop up, I show video proof that screen protection is unnecessary (sorry KZIWarrior - we can't agree about everything ;).

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8]YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test[/video]

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Sorry, but that video proves nothing other than a key wont scratch the glass.

Anyone who works with tools with a diamond dust treatment or things made out of carbide would want to protect their screen if the phone ever has a chance of being introduced to the same environment.

Going to the beach and getting sand in the same pocket as your droid could scratch the screen.

So called "Gorilla" glass or not, all it takes is something just as hard or harder than the glass to score it. A metal key, while hard, is not harder than glass.

Now I agree that for a lot of people, a screen protector might be unnecessary, but its not ultimately true for everyone. (Like those men who like to be different and have a tungsten carbide wedding ring)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that video proves nothing other than a key wont scratch the glass.

Anyone who works with tools with a diamond dust treatment or things made out of carbide would want to protect their screen if the phone ever has a chance of being introduced to the same environment.

Going to the beach and getting sand in the same pocket as your droid could scratch the screen.

So called "Gorilla" glass or not, all it takes is something just as hard or harder than the glass to score it. A metal key, while hard, is not harder than glass.

Now I agree that for a lot of people, a screen protector might be unnecessary, but its not ultimately true for everyone. (Like those men who like to be different and have a tungsten carbide wedding ring)

And I agree with you that it is possible to scratch under the type of conditions you describe. I'm just saying that it is very durable. People seem to have the opinion that it's as delicate as plastic. It's not, and that's my point.

Reaction score
Definitely should NOT be covering your speaker. Check the cover to see if maybe it is perforated around the speaker area and you can pop it out. Personally, I use Stealth Guard Protectors from www.stealthguardprotectors.com to cover the whole unit and it works better than any full body skin I have ever used.