general rooting 2.2 question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by greeknasty, Aug 11, 2010.

1. greeknasty

greeknasty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    alright so im completely new to the droid system..i just bought a used droid and im waiting for it in the mail..so i can learn the process or rooting and etc..so my question is..im pretty sure the phone is on 2.1..stock..never rooted..now..wtf should i do?..should i downlaod the OTA 2.2?..or what..im sure this question has been asked alot..but where the heck should i start..i do know i want to get on the bugless rom...also i was reading how theres a new way to root phone in a very easy way..but i have no idea the name..

so bottom line..do i update OTA 2.2 and then try and root and then flash to custom rom?

thanks and sorry for the newbiness..im very familar with the windows mobile OS and the iphone OS..so now its my time to learn the android OS

also i know there are tutorials..but the ones ive seen i didnt see much 2.2 related items so im afraid they may be out of date..which could lead me to wrong information..

#1 greeknasty, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Smokie

Smokie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    do what I did to my wife's droid, download and install DMupdater for 2.1. you won't have a warranty to worry about voiding and since you are getting the phone used it won't be insured, I don't think? anyway do a search for DMupdater on this forum. its a 1 click rooting .apk (android executable file). once you are rooted then go ahead and install BB v.4 or whatever other custom rom you want to use. If you can unlock/jailbreak and iphone you should be able to root and update the phone to a 2.2 custom ROM without error. just follow directions exactly. that'll be the quickest and most pain free way to get the BB rom you want. if you can't find DMupdater pm me i'll email it.