General review, complaints, and info

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, as of last Friday, I was getting 8+ hours on my TBolt for my "normal use" business day. My setup was:

• Screen Brightness 30%
  • Exchange email account on Stock app, set to Push
  • Touchdown App setup for work Exchange account set to Push
  • Single POP email box set to Poll 15 minutes
  • 3G Connectivity at work 8hrs. (full strength), WiFi at home as I only get ~half 3G signal.
  • News, Friend Stream, Email, Touchdown, and HTC Weather Clock Widgets.
  • Screen Timeout set to 2 minutes.
  • "Still frame" wallpaper with darker color scheme

I receive crazy amounts of emails throughout the day, a few text messages, and make/take a few 15 minute phone calls as well. I was honestly happy with my ~9 hours of uptime on a single charge. (Of course my VZW account mgr with an iPhone 4 was rubbing it in my face with her crazy uptime, so I had to do something about it, lol)

Decided to take the plunge for the first time ever and Root the TBolt. Since I have an IT background with some Linux experience, I did it the manual way on Friday evening.

Saturday I saw an increase in uptime, about 2 hours, though much of that was likely due to less traffic on the weekends. Saturday night I decided to take it a step further and remove some bloatware. Dumped the following APKs:

• Blockbuster
  • CityID
  • HTC Stock Widget
  • Flicker
  • HTC Twitter (I use Twidroyd)
  • Kindle
  • Slacker Radio
  • VCast
  • VzNav (Why would they include that on an Android with Google Maps/Nav and expect us to pay?)
  • BitBop
  • Golf Game (wow, that's a huge APK)
  • Rhapsody
  • Rock Band

Sunday I saw a lot of improvement, was getting closer to 14 hours. Sunday is usually a lot softer use though. Using my Battery Left app, I created a new profile for Monday's use.

It is now Midnight here on the East Coast. I took my standard battery off the charger at 7:30am. My phone just notified me that there is 10% life left on the battery.

Battery Left estimates the life of my battery is now 17:40 (it is still a moderate estimate as it has not fully calibrated). I wonder what my extended battery will say now!

:bling:

4g that whole time?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry... 4g for all but 8 hours of the day?

Reaction score
@jntdroid's 2 posts: No 4g for me. As per the top part of my setup...
3G Connectivity at work 8hrs. (full strength), WiFi at home as I only get ~half 3G signal.

electric6

Reaction score
i have tried the 'quick fix' for the 3g issues. It did not help me. This is my last day to return the phone. I have no idea what I would get if I returned it, everything else is too old. Why sign a year contract on a year old phone? guess I'll just suck it up and deal with it for 10 months, as there are no other options.

evereddie

Reaction score
Early adopters sometimes pay the price. It looks like VZ is working on the 3g network that has to do with voice and data at the same time. Outages, updates, all are affecting our TBs. I am sure in a month or less this will get way better and the next phone update will also probably come with a fix.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's all lumped under Data Usage - so if you have the Thunderbolt, then using a service such as Yahoo Messenger would use your 4G data (which is unlimited for now). So no, they don't charge special fees for using your 4G because you already pay for it ($30/mo).