General Question about installing a new Rom. (Newbie Here)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thernohn, Mar 22, 2010.

1. thernohn

thernohn New Member

Hello All,

I am new to these forums and am excited to learn more about my phone. I have a few questions that I was hoping could clarify some things for me.

I am currently using a Motorola droid that I purchased from Verizon, which is also my service provider.

First off, I have already completed the process of rooting my phone and read about the various forms of system backup. I ended up using SPRecovery as the majority of help thread point to this as these backup to use. I am using 0.99.3b currently.

I performed my first Rom install today and I decided to go with ultimatedroidv8.

1) I don’t understand the 3 versions. (ultimatedroidv8, ultimatedroidv8cw, and newudv8-update.zip,) i ended up installing the ultimatedroidv8.

2) I don’t understand the 2.1 vs. 2.0.1. I take it that its the OS update but isn’t the ROM basically an OS? I am confused in that do ROM only function on 2.1 or 2.0.1 and if so how do I get the 2.1 to update to?

3) When I installed ultimate droid 3 things happened.
    1- I lost my contacts (is there a way to get them back?)
    2- I lose my verizon service (is this normal and how do I get reconnected)
    3- I lost all my saved text messages (which I assume was due to me losing Verizon service but I don’t know? (will this always happen?)

4) Many of the people who posts a screenshot of their phone has an awesome looking clock which shows the weather (which clouds and stuff) but I can’t seem to find how to edit my clock.

Anyone who would be awesome enough to take the time to answer these questions would really make my day. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your responses.

-Chris
  2. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok lets try this

there are normally 2 types of update now there are 3

the one you should install would be nandroid for first time to get to 2.1 then you can use updat.zip unless you switch roms then i would reccomend nandroid

2.0 and 2.1 are ota updates the 2.1 on root is a leaked version

as far as service goes dial *228 that will take care of that (never had to do this and i do a lot of nandroid backups)

contacts log into gmail

text messages probably gone

reccomend getting titanium backup from market that way you can restopre all that stuff

the clock is called Beautiful widgets i think it 3 bucks from market

oh and good luck have fun
  3. Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001 New Member

1) The 3 diff versions are 3 files of the same thing. However each file needs to be installed in a different manner. The first one is a nandroid backup, 2nd one needs to be installed via the clockwork mod/rom manager, 3rd one is an update file that can be used to update your version of UD if you already have a previous version installed. i.e. you have 7.5 installed and want to upgrade to v8.0

2. 2.01 is the current official version of the Android OS. 2.1 is the soon to be released update. It was leaked a while back and all the new roms are based off this build. So by flashing one of these roms you get the update before it officially hits the streets.

3.1. Your contacts should have been synced with gmail, and should be restored if you turn on your auto sync.

3.2. I'm assuming you installed via the clockwork mod/rom manager? that does a complete wipe of the phone and you need to reactivate the phone. This happening is not unusual and not a big deal. Most times you are just upgrading your rom to a newer version and wont have this happen.

3.3 Your texts are gone. They don't get backed up by the phone or gmail. now that your rooted you can use titanium backup(download from market). Or get a app called my backup Pro(my favorite)

4. Its just the news and weather widget. Just long press any empty space on your home screens and select it.
  4. thernohn

thernohn New Member

@justin82 - Thank you so much for the awesome information.

I ended up doing restoring my backup and got everything back. I will look into this titanium backup thing and try again.

@ "the one you should install would be nandroid for first time to get to 2.1 then you can use updat.zip unless you switch roms then i would reccomend nandroid" ​

I might need a little clairification with the nandroid thing. I did do the steps for the SPRecovery which created the nandroid folder on my phone were I store my backups. Is this different than a Nandroid install. I think I might be confused because I dont fully understand the purpose or differences between "nandroid" and "update.zip"
  5. thernohn

thernohn New Member

@Cyrus6001 - Thank you so much for the clarification of the ROMs. I am starting to grasp what the terminology and am feeling better equipped to research and mess around more.

I am curious, is it possible to upload my contacts list from my phone to Google? I manually put in all 135 contacts into the phone when I got it (There must have been an easier way to do this, lol) and am unsure if the sync will go from the phone to Google email, or only Google to phone.
  6. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Nandroid install is like taking someone elses back up and putting it on your phone it is done by putting the rom in nandroid folder on your sd card. And then restarting in recover go to advanced recover choose your recovery and hit the recoveer and good to go remember when naming your nandroid backups do not put any spaces in the name