General App Question

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
I download every free app of the day from Amazon, but i rarely install any of them.

When it finishes the download i get 2 options, install or cancel. I usally hit cancel.

Is the download on my "sd card" or is it something virtual and only goes onto my memory if i install?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Nexus rules!!!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Usually the cache. Can't tell you where exactly though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

OP
B

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
And there they all are at:

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache

Awesome and quick help.

My OG must have 300 of these apk's. Poor thing, even though he is only WIFI, I will purge him.

Thanks.

OP
B

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Now I know where the amazon apps go and I know where the 3rd party apps go, but where do the market apps get saved to. I have checked every folder using astro and can't find them. I am not rooted, does this matter as to what can be seen using astro? In the /system/app folder are all of the preloaded apps but none of the ones I have downloaded.

For example I downloaded Words With Friends from the market, I would expect to find a file called Wordswithfriends.apk or something similar. Even if I do a search for apk none of the apps I downloaded from the market show up.

Someone please school me.

Thanks.

OP
B

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If I use task killer in astro, and look at application details, there is a line called "Data dir:". It shows a folder called /data/data, yet I can't get to it. Is this really a folder, and if so does anyone know how to make it visible?

Thank you.

prowler85

Reaction score
If I use task killer in astro, and look at application details, there is a line called "Data dir:". It shows a folder called /data/data, yet I can't get to it. Is this really a folder, and if so does anyone know how to make it visible?

Thank you.

The /data/data folder is not in your "sd" path, so you'd have to be rooted and use Root Explorer (or similar) to see it. I just looked in mine and see a lot of apk's, so I'm assuming that's where market apps go.

OP
B

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks prowler85.

I have not rooted yet. Do you know if astro would get me to the directories if I was rooted?

Sorry for all of the questions on this one item, but I let my droid get out of hand with what was in or on memory and I am sure that is why it eventually got so slow, and then there was just to much to clean up. I want to keep my Gnex clean.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I remember astro wont see physical root drive even when rooted. Root explorer would.
Not sure about file explorer (can't remember if that's the correct name)

Here's a free one
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

OP
B

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks thaDroidz. Looks I need to root, eventually.