General 4G Battery Life Question

dzone67

Reaction score
Would setting my phone on strictly 4G save battery?
Loud roared the dreadful Thunder!!!!!

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
No it would use much more.

Setting to strictly cdma 3g would save battery

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Reaction score
No it would use much more.

Setting to strictly cdma 3g would save battery

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

For sure! I get anywhere from 6 - 12 hours from my Bolt when it's on 4G the whole time. When I'm on 3G only, which is most of the time, I get 12 - 20 hours depending on my use.

OP
dzone67

dzone67

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense though, before I had 4G in my area, leaving it in strictly 3G did save battery because it stopped the phone from constantly looking for 4G. Now that I have 4G, wouldn't setting my phone to stop looking for 3G help the battery out?

turdbogls

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense though, before I had 4G in my area, leaving it in strictly 3G did save battery because it stopped the phone from constantly looking for 4G. Now that I have 4G, wouldn't setting my phone to stop looking for 3G help the battery out?

yeah probably most likely maybe.

it will be a neglegable difference since the only time it looks for 3G is when 4G is not around....so basically when you go into a building it may save some battery, but you will just loose 4G all together.

Droid592

Reaction score
All I have to say is I got to use 4G today and I can't wait till towers go live in my area, I didn't wanna leave L.A. or the stadium because of 4G, I was constantly on my phone too and my battery did really good I was very very pleased

Sent From My Rooted HTC Thunderbolt

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
There's a YouTube video where a Guy tests his TB battery life when the phone is set to EvDO and LTE mode and then just EvDO mode (doesn't look for 4G)... no noticeable difference in battery life.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
There's a YouTube video where a Guy tests his TB battery life when the phone is set to EvDO and LTE mode and then just EvDO mode (doesn't look for 4G)... no noticeable difference in battery life.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I'll have to try that. I've only tried the LTE/CDMA (Auto) or CDMA only. I guess in LTE mode if you aren't in a 4G area it won't switch to 3G but there's 4G everywhere in Atlanta so I should be set.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm in a 4G city but I still use 3G mostly, just because I can be ove 50% at the end of the day on 3G or < 15% on 4G

it does make a difference what you set the network mode on

cincinnati

Reaction score
New guy here,hey everyone..Yes 4G will use alot more battery.I tested mine for about a week with 3G only and 4G only.With moderate use I got about 11 hrs on 3G and somewhere around 7 hrs on 4G,both with stock battery.I since have gone to the extended battery which I get about 11 hrs on 4G with everything runnin..