GDE is simply amazing...take a look.

mjs31

Reaction score
Nice app and good video cereal.....you know what you have to do! :D JOIN THE DARKSIDE! (we have cookies)

Yep...posted this in the apps section as well. Been using it a little while, but the new update for the Droid is nice.

BzB

Reaction score
subscribed. as developers get more time with the droid these apps are going to be awesome.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So it's official then Foolie and Gardos are the point men : )

When they say it's good to go and pretty stable, I'll definitely be getting this one.

thanks gents

RosarioM

Reaction score
I just downloaded it and gave it a try and wasn't crazy about it, so I returned it. That's the great thing about the Marketplace. If you don't like an app, you just return it, no problems. I think the App Store gives you two returns max... not that Apple would allow you to run anything that could mess with their "perfect" UI...

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I can say that GDE does work well on the Droid. I too bought and installed it last night after foolies post. The only problem I had was when I had the setting checked to fast fling and autoscroll or what ever and I gave the cube a fast swipe, haha it spun a couple 360's then all I got was a black screen. Hit the home button again and I was good to go.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
How about force closes? I'm running open home now, but I'm getting alot of Force Closes since the last update (one an hour), and even other errors like VM errors that render the phone unfunctional until a battery pull.

Noted this to the dev and his response was "The droid has buggy firmware" :rolleyes:

Seems like this app has better support to say the least.

foolie

Reaction score
Yeah the swiping is sensitive so you'll have to adjust the swipes.

I just tried changing wallpapers and it seems rogro82 was able to fix the crashing issue.

foolie

Reaction score
Foolie, any random Force Closes or Lock ups requiring battery pull that you've encountered?

The only ones I've encountered were when I changed my wallpaper (which has been fixed) or during when I turn on the phone (which I'm assuming is due to the large amount of apps I have set for auto start up). Other than that, I haven't ran into any other forced closes that I can recall or lockups for that matter.

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm running open home now, but I'm getting alot of Force Closes since the last update (one an hour), and even other errors like VM errors that render the phone unfunctional until a battery pull.

Noted this to the dev and his response was "The droid has buggy firmware" :rolleyes:

Seems like this app has better support to say the least.

Yep, thats entirely possible.... a building is no better than its foundation.

Seems the wish list or "hope" list is getting bigger and bigger for what will be rectified on Dec11 with the next firmware update.

I'm past the point of no return... I can't go back, but unless there are a ton of people working on it, I wonder how long it will take before the firmware is set in stone. Maybe with open source, it never will be?

Its hard to know if the developers work is not compatible with the firmware and so the firmware needs to be changed, or if the firmware is buggy and developers are limited until that firmware is fixed?

Making a home page that attempts to do all this seems has to have its fingers in just about everything to work well.
Definitely worth rewarding financially if successful, but lots of room for errors.

I agree... I don't mind beta testing as long as its free or stays refundable until the final release.. but then I have to trust the company won't dissolve first or whether they won't give up and release a final thats not really finished.
Are we investors or clients?

This is cool enough, that he should have no problem with money once its finished and done well.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
^^ Right, I'm with you on the building and the foundation. But it seems other home screen apps aren't reporting any such issues with the firmware. Maybe his response just sounded like "Hey, not my fault, not planning to do anything about it". Just seems almost like a cop-out from Open Home dev...

GDE's dev doesn't seem to have run into any firmware issues he hasn't gotten around.

Zenmervolt

Reaction score
Installed GDE yesterday and the update this morning. So far it seems very smooth and I've yet to have an issue (though I also haven't changed backgrounds away from the default grey one). The update this morning seems to have made it a little bit snappier but I didn't find it terribly laggy before.

I'm pretty impressed so far. No force close issues for me.

windstrings

Reaction score
Installed GDE yesterday and the update this morning. So far it seems very smooth and I've yet to have an issue (though I also haven't changed backgrounds away from the default grey one). The update this morning seems to have made it a little bit snappier but I didn't find it terribly laggy before.

I'm pretty impressed so far. No force close issues for me.

Good to hear.. a few more good reports and I'm going to install it.

Which one did you install? Of what the keyword to find it in the marketplace?