GDE is simply amazing...take a look.

Ainvar

Reaction score
I went ahead and took the plunge and purchased GDE. I think it is a nice home replacement and it looks to be improving with each update from everything I have been reading.

I wish there was a nice way to import the apps I have on each dedicated home screen from the default home screens. Would make setting things up a bit simpler imho.

Now I just need to find wallpapers that flow from one screen to the next that does not look like chucky from child's play put them together.

Ainvar

Reaction score
Last night I opened up my menu and in the "All Applications" section I was getting 2, 3 or 4 pictures of the same app. For instance, 2 FB pictures, 3 MixZing Lite pictures, 4 Where's my Droid Pictures, etc, etc. It was for nearly every app I had. I let my phone batter die (because I'm trying to "train" it) and then plugged back in during the night. When I looked early this morning everything was still the same with multiple pictures for the same app. I looked just now and everything seems to be normal. Any idea why?

I know the developer checks out these sites so hopefully he sees this. He has been great at bringing updates (I think there were 2 in the past couple of weeks).

I can't seem to find an answer to this. Sorry if its been posted and I missed it.

Has a fix for this been found?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Android OS doesn't need to close apps because it is made to multitask. It will pull memory resources as needed, and apps that are not being used can stay open in the background without slowing things down.

ipawd1

Reaction score
Is there a way on GDE to get rid of those three icons at the bottom?

windstrings

Reaction score
The Android OS doesn't need to close apps because it is made to multitask. It will pull memory resources as needed, and apps that are not being used can stay open in the background without slowing things down.

I suppose there is enough memory to go around, but what if those apps are asking for cpu time the same time something else needs it as high priority?

For small apps that don't require much cpu power, there is most likely never situations where the cpu has full demand placed on it.

but with the graphics of GDE in cube mode writing and rewriting it could be taxing.

I don't know if GDE is like Java that rewrites the whole page for every little change made anywhere on the page or how it works but if so, that eats up tons of cpu power... I'm only trying to make sense of this from a computer perspective and figure out why some people have a great experience with GDE while others struggle.

windstrings

Reaction score

YOu can change thier function to something else... I removed my contacts icon from my page and freed up that space for something else by using the lower right icon for contacts and my lower left I'm using for my phone dialer so that free's up some more space.. the center is to access all apps in alphabetical order or other menus of GDE as desired but once that center one is open you can go to the very top and accessing the menu of GDE and in button setting assign the center to what you want too "at the very bottom"

I don't know of a way to get rid of it.
I don't think getting rid of it would give you another row of icon space anyway.

monkeydog

Reaction score

YOu can change thier function to something else... I removed my contacts icon from my page and freed up that space for something else by using the lower right icon for contacts and my lower left I'm using for my phone dialer so that free's up some more space.. the center is to access all apps in alphabetical order or other menus of GDE as desired but once that center one is open you can go to the very top and accessing the menu of GDE and in button setting assign the center to what you want too "at the very bottom"

I don't know of a way to get rid of it.
I don't think getting rid of it would give you another row of icon space anyway.

This isn't exactly getting rid of it, but I use this theme EclairTheme (New Drawer) GDE v2.4 Application for Android | Themes and it makes the bottom bar transparent and barely noticeable, also uses the default drawer arrow from the android home. I changed the right button to contacts and that bottom bar is hardly noticeable since that theme uses the default icons. If I knew how to do screenshots I would show mine, but the pictures on androlib do the job.

stainedskin1982

Reaction score
I dont feel like reading thru 11 pages of replies to ask so please forgive me for asking this off topic question....
I love the app, the video is great, but damn that song has got me! What is that???

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your droid is rooted you can take screenshots with drocap2 (in the market)

windstrings

Reaction score
I just have to say Im going crazy with these GDE updates!... just when I think it can't get any smoother, it does!

I"m in cube mode and I can spin 4 pages around with one flick... for some reason the first flick usually only goes one or two, but the second will go 4!.... very very smooth.... This DEV is on the ball!

Baconstrip

Reaction score
Agreed, I'm loving the updates. It really is getting smoother and smoother :)

I find I like the stretch more than the cube!