GB & Rooting

OP
jbhuskers

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Well yeah, that's kind of my point though...having a .596 SBF file would be a LOT faster than SBF'ing back to 2.3.340, then getting the OTA to GB. Granted, a lot of people who root won't care about going back to unrooted stock...however, a big reason to have it available as an option is in case if you need to bring the phone into VZ, so they don't see your phone rooted/ROM'd and make a note in your account.

There is a SBF for official unrooted GB. It was released late last week. Download and add it to your Droid X files. I don't ever plan on using it b/c it is the unrooted version, but like you said, it is nice to have, just in case.

DROIDX Gingerbread (4.5.596) SBF File Released - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I had my droid x rooted and the other day i installed the system update like a retard, can someone help me figure out how to re root? Im new to all this so im in need of a little help. I have the Z4 Mod app and tried the temporary root but it wouldnt go past the exploit screen. Before i did the update i had my phone clocked at 1300 mhz and after the update was installed my root was removed and i couldnt access my cpu settings w/o a root. Now my phone is stuck at 1300 mhz and its screwing alot up, frozen screens, tons of force closes, etc please help

You'll have to do the post quoted above. You can't root OTA GB at the moment (if ever).

TheJester34

Reaction score
How did P3 root the leak? Maybe that would be of some use in rooting the OTA? Or overall would it be easier to just SBF to FroYo, upgrade to the leak, the SBF GB OTA if needed for updates and such? Main problem here is after you back up everything and SBF, if you can't get root back you can't restore things. I would think looking at how P3 did it and trying to apply it to something like Z4 would be the best bet to rooting the OTA

cjriddle22

Reaction score
How did P3 root the leak? Maybe that would be of some use in rooting the OTA? Or overall would it be easier to just SBF to FroYo, upgrade to the leak, the SBF GB OTA if needed for updates and such? Main problem here is after you back up everything and SBF, if you can't get root back you can't restore things. I would think looking at how P3 did it and trying to apply it to something like Z4 would be the best bet to rooting the OTA

The rooted version of GB that you are referring to is the official build (.596). Same as the OTA version, not a leak. I am not sure how he obtained root, but we know it includes breaking .596 into two zip files. It has something to do with the second file, some exploit he created by breaking it up, and when you put them together the exploit doesn't work. At least that is my interpretation of it. He also said that this rooted version will not prevent future updates, so if you are only rooted (not missing any of the bloat), you should be able to update. We won't actually know until another update comes out, but that is why we have the GB SBF, just in case.

TheJester34

Reaction score

The rooted version of GB that you are referring to is the official build (.596). Same as the OTA version, not a leak. I am not sure how he obtained root, but we know it includes breaking .596 into two zip files. It has something to do with the second file, some exploit he created by breaking it up, and when you put them together the exploit doesn't work. At least that is my interpretation of it. He also said that this rooted version will not prevent future updates, so if you are only rooted (not missing any of the bloat), you should be able to update. We won't actually know until another update comes out, but that is why we have the GB SBF, just in case.

Gotcha. If it's the same as the OTA just rooted, no reason to wait for a rooting process it seems. Thanks for the answer

Beka27

Reaction score
Start to finish it takes between 30-60 minutes to revert back to stock 2.2, reroot, install the 2 (or 3) files for rooted GB. It's not that big of a deal. Much better IMO than waiting a few weeks (months?) to get a one-click method. Just do it now while there are still all these these threads floating around to help you out.

jeems

Reaction score
Start to finish it takes between 30-60 minutes to revert back to stock 2.2, reroot, install the 2 (or 3) files for rooted GB. It's not that big of a deal. Much better IMO than waiting a few weeks (months?) to get a one-click method. Just do it now while there are still all these these threads floating around to help you out.

Like a good little lamb, I downloaded the OTA GB. I have decided to go back to the 2.2, root and install the rooted GB but want to make sure of one thing before I do so. I lose all my current apps/etc since I'm going to sbf, right? Not a huge deal as I've only had the phone for a couple weeks, but still kind of annoying. Is there any way to make a copy of the phone as is since I can't root the OTA GB? Just on the off chance I don't like the rooted version (doubtful).

TIA

cjriddle22

Reaction score

Like a good little lamb, I downloaded the OTA GB. I have decided to go back to the 2.2, root and install the rooted GB but want to make sure of one thing before I do so. I lose all my current apps/etc since I'm going to sbf, right? Not a huge deal as I've only had the phone for a couple weeks, but still kind of annoying. Is there any way to make a copy of the phone as is since I can't root the OTA GB? Just on the off chance I don't like the rooted version (doubtful).

TIA

Do you have the two options under the Settings>Privacy checked? If you selected this on your initial boot up, the Google servers "should" backup your apps (from the market), WiFi passwords, contacts, etc.. I say "should" b/c sometimes all my apps do not come back after a factory reset. I typically use Titanium Backup as a fail-safe, but since you are not rooted, you do not have that option. If you are just now checking these two options, you might want to give Google 24 hours or so to sync with your phone.

If you are using an alternate launcher (say LauncherPro), you can backup your home screens.

You can make a copy of your phone as is (nandroid backup), if you were rooted. Yet another reason to be rooted.

jeems

Reaction score
Do you have the two options under the Settings>Privacy checked? If you selected this on your initial boot up, the Google servers "should" backup your apps (from the market), WiFi passwords, contacts, etc.. I say "should" b/c sometimes all my apps do not come back after a factory reset. I typically use Titanium Backup as a fail-safe, but since you are not rooted, you do not have that option. If you are just now checking these two options, you might want to give Google 24 hours or so to sync with your phone.

If you are using an alternate launcher (say LauncherPro), you can backup your home screens.

You can make a copy of your phone as is (nandroid backup), if you were rooted. Yet another reason to be rooted.

I do have those options checked and I get the "could not backup" errors every so often so I know it tries most nights. So if I go back to 2.2, root and install a new rom it will still remember my apps/passwords/etc? That would be dope.

And I find a new reason to root every time I turn around! Thanks, cjriddle

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I do have those options checked and I get the "could not backup" errors every so often so I know it tries most nights. So if I go back to 2.2, root and install a new rom it will still remember my apps/passwords/etc? That would be dope.

And I find a new reason to root every time I turn around! Thanks, cjriddle

Have you ever done a factory reset before, or have you ever verified that Google will restore your apps, etc..?

It is quite dope, every time I install a new ROM or SBF or factory reset, as soon as I log in with my Google account, boom my WiFi icon comes on and it connects to my WiFi. Then starts syncing my contacts, email, apps (most of the time), etc. It seems like sometimes all my apps do not sync at first, but give it a day or so and Google will hook you up. It is a nice feature. Google is amazing, and most everything they do is free.