GB Roms Recap

Discussion in 'Sourcery ROM' started by Chizzele, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Just an update... after cruising between several GB Roms.. i will not use names to not be bashing of someone else's hard work..

I have concluded that Sourcery's 4 months old features are unmatched, Sourcery's stability is superior, Sourcery support is (was:heart:) priceless, Sourcery's peace of mind to use as the daily driver is dancedroid...

So to summerize this thread and to keep it light.. Sourcery has set the bar so high it still casts a shadow over active Roms... All of the hard working great developers who put their sweat and blood into GB have to rethink their efforts..

And if anyone here feels like me please put in the good word and maybe.. just maybe Eagle1967 and Gflam would rethink their legal seperation and try to reconcile and bring Sourcery back to life... because it will save a lot of us a lot of phone upgrade dollars that we will be happy to donate :)

Just my two cents..
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

I agree 100%!! dancedroid

Sent down with a Bolt of lightening!!
  3. PARick

PARick New Member

I agree wholeheartedly! I really think going to Gingerbread was a huge mistake for most developers. The market is open for someone who will keep developing the froyo ROMs. I went to anther ROM, simply because I want to use one that will continue to be tweaked, and improved. They just no longer exist. Sourcery (or Sorcery :)) was/is still the best. Eagle and Gflam provided unmatched service. I donated $25 to them, and would like to propose another $25 if they (or one) go back to Froyo and keep the magic coming. Now, how many of you all will match me?
  4. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Lawlz, I find this hilarious. Why don't you PM a few & let them know about their mistakes?
  5. PARick

PARick New Member

I have, and posted this in their threads as well. For example, go to Project Elite, which I think is the best Gingerbread ROM out there, and see their poll. Last time I checked, over 1/2 of those who installed the Gingerbread ROM, went back to an earlier Froyo. I just don't think the D1 can handle Gingerbread. My opinion, and a buck-fifty, will get you a cup of coffee.
  6. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

You mean assume 1/2 of those taking that pole went back to a 2.2. I can assume it's your opinion because you're saying it.
  7. Dawg72

Dawg72 New Member

Sourcery is by far the best Rom I've tried. I won't change anytime soon. I just wish they could work out their issues and get it back together. Come on eagle and gflam.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  8. PARick

PARick New Member

No actually, that one is a fact. They went back to 4.2 . Unless those taking the poll lied.
  9. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Facts do not require truth. For instance, how many tapatalkers didn't even realize it was a pole. Anyway,my point was the "dev mistake" comment is naive.
  10. PARick

PARick New Member

Ok, well don't really want to get in an arguement, because I actually don't understand your point. I clearly said that was my opinion. I can't account for those who didn't read the thread designating it as a poll. They voted, nonetheless. Anyway, if you like how Gingerbread is working on your phone, and you want them to continue to develop Gingerbread ROMs, that is up to you, and I'm glad it works for you. It has some great features. Alot of which render things such as texting and calling inconsistent for a good number of people. Heck, I even supported some of those developing GB. I just think everybody jumped on the GB bandwagon, not realizing that it just dosen't play real nice with the Droid 1, or at least my Droid 1. Any way, cheers.
  11. Chizzele

I'm willing to match and raise your $25 PARick, but i can tell you first hand that for Eagle at least it was never about the money... but if that will give the push i'm in...

And i also agree with the GB being a mistake comment, there are great people out there developing GB for a device that was not built for it. It may have great features, themes and more but its like building a high rise with loose foundation, it will be shaky.. i'm know it works great for some people but not all.

And considering GB is supposedly more advanced, Sourcery has features that have been there since Christmas that just don't exist yet in most GB Roms. Don't get me wrong, i bow to those who develop and actually got it to work on the OG but for me, i'm actually using my phone for work and it just wont cut it.. plus after getting use to one click themes and kernels on Sourcery its hard find something comparable.
  12. PARick

PARick New Member

Yeah, he still probably doesn't have his PayPal account set up :). Definately agree about the work part. GB and Touncdown do not get along well.
  13. listenman20

listenman20 Member

i'm not gonna say that i've tried all of the GB ROMs, as a matter of fact i've only tried 2, but neither of those impressed me. i can't say that i ever missed a call on acct of GB ROM but it always worried me. that worry mixed with the fact that i could hardly multitask while on GB sent me back to a froyo ROM. i ran it for a while then realized that it had problems that sourcery didn't have so now i'm back on sourcery as well. personally i've become addicted to one theme so all of the themes isn't what brought me back. i don't OC my phone to the highest speed available. i've found i can do just about everything at 800 with little to no lag. so selection of kernels isn't what brought me back either. the real magic of sourcery for me is it's stability. i know there's several out there, like me, that fell in love with this ROM's features and would love to see it supported again.
  14. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

... What if Sourcery was to try their hand at GB? They're obviously superior devs... I think it's possible that they could make some real "magic" happen!

it's difficult for me because i like *some* aspects of GB...but I LOVE the Sourcery tweaks and don't want to give them up...

honestly, if it weren't for that darn screen-off TV animation I'd be OK to stay on Froyo indefinitely... lol
  15. Chizzele

I don't really see any advantages in GB other then the built in SIP which is cool. What is the big deal, even the Thunderbult which is a new phone came out with Froyo.

Sourcery is the best creation out of Froyo. Me as well am comfortable with a 800 kernel and i rotate between two themes.. for those with the GB fever the GB theme gives the same visual experience so really there are not that many advantages in a GB Rom that i could find.. and i use Fring for my SIP calls to make up for that.
  16. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

I have just downloaded sourcery 2.2, so I guess I've come full circle.

After venturing into the GB realm to port my themes I have come to the conclusion I perfer the solid stability of froyo. Not saying I had huge issues with GB, but enough small annoyances that I could not take anymore. So, I reverted back to another froyo ROM and while its been a good experience, IMO it is not the same as sourcery.

I will miss the great support provided by eagle and gflam and I am sure I will always wonder what else they had in store. I felt since the first time I flashed this ROM that it was revolutionary with unseen before options and features combined with rock solid stability.

Sent from my Incinerated DROID
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I agree that GB is not meant for the D1. It's cool, it has some cool features but its too buggy on the D1. I'm back to Froyo and thats more then enough for me.
  18. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

To my fellow family of Sourcerers,
    I will defend this ROM past the day I die, as I assume they in the afterlife know about its sweetness.
    With that said, I think if a reconciliation were to take place it would happen organically.
    Donations won't be a motivator, and respecting the decision is the best thing we can continue to give. And help and support both on any new endeavours.
    I think as is, it is no less special than the day I first flashed it.
    Sometimes the flames which burn brightest burn out the fastest. But it's better to burn out than it is to rust. -Neil Young
    Also it was a team effort which I don't want to become a one person show.

Regarding GB ROMS I think it has been a long term success for me and my OG.
    All initial incarnations were messy. And I too had similar feelings.
    But now I can run every GB out now, and flawlessly at that.
    I thought the things written in this thread regarding not good for OG.
    But now I'm a believer, whatever has been fixed has solved for me any and all issues.
    Fortunately for me, my OG has run fantastically on all the major devs current GB iterations.
    No loss of 3G signal, never missed calls, texts or Gmail.
    But every single OG was different out of the box and then continued to become even more different depending on state of hardware and how we all run all sorts of different settings. Some OGs may even be on last leg.,
    I base this on a number of posts in which those forced back to a froyo or hybrid, are realizing their particular OG was ready for burial at sea.
    Also I think for ROM developers, GB has forced them to step up their learning and problem solving, which will long run benefit the developers abilities and the quality we get to access. As eventually they will be forced to develop for something other than our OGs. Developing is like most everything, if you aren't advancing you are declining.
    So they will be even better when all our OGs become ultimate handheld fully functional multimedia devices which all others similar will not have nearly the abilities we will with our OG.
    Movies, Videos, Books, Music and games.
    But as I said GB success is most influenced by the state of one's OG.
    Also regarding polls, none are really a result I'd hang my hat on.
    First the sample is incredibly small in comparison to numbers running flawless GB. They are less inclined to be on the forums unlike those encountering problems, who are much more likely to be on the forums to seek assistance or informing that they had to revert back.
    Yet one who is running great have no actual need to visit with the same frequency, if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. Plus the theory I have found to be quite true, that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Squeaky wheel being those encountering issues and oil being the overwhelming attention they get and discounting the success stories. I have a hard time imagining someone without issues feeling the same urgency that those with problems feel in posting problems to see if they can be addressed and if not voting in their best interest to continue development for the ROM they unfortunately had to revert back to use.
    As I said I have been quite lucky and fortunate regarding the good state of my OG allowing all avenues open. Be it GB, Froyo or a hybrid.
    We all are in different situations due to the OG mimicry of snowflakes, no 2 are alike.

As always I love flashing me some sweet Saucery, but I love flashing many a GB now as well.
    Devs seem to have discovered how to reign in the aggressive task killing either by altering its parameters back to those of Froyo which has only improved GB and how it runs even better.

Reserecting Sourceryrom could end up like the Rolling Stones tours over last 30 years.
    A bunch of human skeletons kind of making a mockery of who they once were.
    And regarding Sourcery, don't mess with perfection.
    Hopefully everyone reads this as merely my findings over the last months and my opinions on Sourcery and leaving what is perfection as perfect rather than a forced update that may end up going in a direction that causes issues and bugs on an already issueless and bugless ROM.
    A spell was cast upon us a while back and it has stuck.
    But we need to bring reality back into the equation.
    I would hate to see something reminiscent of Natalie Cole butchering her father's greatest song, "Unforgettable" by making it some crappy duet through the magic of video and audio advancement.
    Nat King Cole made a phenomenal song, and his daughter almost ruined it forever.
    Sometimes things need to be laid to rest and kept in their pristine form.
    To my Fam, those who have had GB issues shouldn't forever give up on it as they are making continuous advances. Some of which are truly unique in their own right.
    Thankfully though laid to rest, we can still access all its good yummyness and reliability that makes and continues to make it awesome. And for that we should all be thankful. And I know we all are.
    To my breathen we are lucky, as we get to continue to ride this wave into the shore and swim back out and ride again.
    Enjoy these days we still have working OGs and can run Sourcery till our OGs drop from exhaustion.
    Your friend in magic and wonderment
    danceswithbongs. Big Smiley face
  19. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Well said!

Sent down via a Bolt of lightning!!
  20. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Anyone who thinks the Droid 1 can't run on Gingerbread hasn't tried Liquid Gingerbread 1.42. It's running flawlessly on my Droid. I'm getting 1600 Quadrant scores, excellent battery life and there are no bugs.
Search tags for this page

hulka welcome to italy

welcome to italy hulka