Gb .608 updates won't install

tgambitg

Reaction score
Here's what I did to update:

On .607, rooted, frozen bloatware, with the CRT/pixel patch.

Make sure to download the .607 update zip from any of various sources, and get the easy sbf boot CD..

Steps as I took them:
TiBu all my apps/system data/everything (just in case)
CWM did a full nandroid backup (again, just in case)
SBF using the linux boot cd method to 2.4.330
power down phone, do NOT let it boot into the OS. (this step is critical for getting these steps to work correctly)
put the update.zip (4.5.607) on the SD card
power up into stock recovery
applied update without wiping anything or factory reset
let the process finish, rebooted phone
went to settings, system, check for updates
downloaded the update file
update went through successfully

All my apps, data, etc. were still in place, all I had to do was re-root, add the bootstrapper back, and reflash the CRT/pixel fix.

Not saying this is an ideal way to do things, but I have no problems. The phone still had every setting, and still smooth as butter. No restoring backups, or TiBuing my apps back... I am happy.

Keebler86

Reaction score
First time poster, longtime occasional browser/reader.

I too am having an issue installing the over the air update to my Droid 2 Global. It successfully downloads, reboots to install, gets 20% done or so and briefly shows the triangle exclamation point. Then it reboots, and when it loads up it simply says Update Failed. This is now the 3rd time I have done this.

Before I catch any heat:Yes, I have tried searching all over the place, but many of the threads on this subject digress into sbfing (whatever that is), updating from .607 (which I don't have) or what options for re-rooting to regain tethering or whatever in Gingerbread.

My phone information:
I am currently on the stock 2.4.330, I have not ever flashed a new ROM or SBF. I was rooted with z4 root, had installed ClockWorkMod. I followed these instructions http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...debootstrap-droid-2-global-sticky-please.html and now my phone does not load into the tiny green menu at startup anymore. I have uninstalled ClockWorkMod, and my phone is now unrooted. I have not ever installed Titanium Backup, frozen or deleted any stock "crapware".

Any help? Where does the OTA update download to on my phone? At the very least, maybe I won't need to re-download every time I try to install.

Thanks in advance.

OP
F

Feudalplague

Reaction score
Yea verifying would be nice... .330 or .607? I mean if all else fails... sbf the stinking phone just back all your contacts to SD I think it took me a grand total of 20 dedicated minutes to put everything I wanted back on

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

VerD2G

Reaction score
Also, anyone notice the browser randomly closing on them? I was on it yesterday, today after GB it is crashing on me.

More annoying than anything really.

silver6054

Reaction score

I too am having an issue installing the over the air update to my Droid 2 Global. It successfully downloads, reboots to install, gets 20% done or so and briefly shows the triangle exclamation point. Then it reboots, and when it loads up it simply says Update Failed. This is now the 3rd time I have done this.

Before I catch any heat:Yes, I have tried searching all over the place, but many of the threads on this subject digress into sbfing (whatever that is), updating from .607 (which I don't have) or what options for re-rooting to regain tethering or whatever in Gingerbread.

My phone information:
I am currently on the stock 2.4.330, I have not ever flashed a new ROM or SBF. I was rooted with z4 root, had installed ClockWorkMod. I followed these instructions http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...debootstrap-droid-2-global-sticky-please.html and now my phone does not load into the tiny green menu at startup anymore. I have uninstalled ClockWorkMod, and my phone is now unrooted. I have not ever installed Titanium Backup, frozen or deleted any stock "crapware".

Any help? Where does the OTA update download to on my phone? At the very least, maybe I won't need to re-download every time I try to install.

Thanks in advance.

You can try downloading the update (from .330 to .607) from update4_5_607.zip, put it on your SD card renamed as update.zip and then use stock recovery to load it. That way you get to see the error messages.

lwags67

Reaction score
Here's what I did to update:

On .607, rooted, frozen bloatware, with the CRT/pixel patch.

Make sure to download the .607 update zip from any of various sources, and get the easy sbf boot CD..

Steps as I took them:
TiBu all my apps/system data/everything (just in case)
CWM did a full nandroid backup (again, just in case)
SBF using the linux boot cd method to 2.4.330
power down phone, do NOT let it boot into the OS. (this step is critical for getting these steps to work correctly)
put the update.zip (4.5.607) on the SD card
power up into stock recovery
applied update without wiping anything or factory reset
let the process finish, rebooted phone
went to settings, system, check for updates
downloaded the update file
update went through successfully

All my apps, data, etc. were still in place, all I had to do was re-root, add the bootstrapper back, and reflash the CRT/pixel fix.

Not saying this is an ideal way to do things, but I have no problems. The phone still had every setting, and still smooth as butter. No restoring backups, or TiBuing my apps back... I am happy.

OK, I am going to do this when I have more time at home, but have read the instructions on the website for the SBF flash cd. One thing in the instructions and pics is being sure, in one step, the phone is in bootloader status. Being a noob and not wanting to foul things up, how do I get into bootloader status.

OP
F

Feudalplague

Reaction score

My phone information:

Thanks in advance.

To answer your question your rooting and clockwork messing around have altered the system. i talked to one of my friends who designs himself personal OS for droid and he says that for some reason random issues with altering the system with something such as clockwork can cause .608 to be incompatable with your device at it has been altered. even with removing clockwork through root explorer and unrooting your system in some instances wont work. he explained it as random errors or changes in code that can occur from the altering process that sometimes cant be switched back and he has the D2G as well and says hes had instances where the update will work and certain instances where it wont. his data suggests about a 30% chance it has this issue. our of his 10 tests reported under the same conditions 3 were positive for this change.

in this circumstance you probably had some unexpected change you couldnt predict it sooo SBF mean putting the original stock OS on your phone again. it deletes all data etc... sooo you need to restore this image in order to have your phone sucessfully update.

Keebler86

Reaction score
You can try downloading the update (from .330 to .607) from update4_5_607.zip, put it on your SD card renamed as update.zip and then use stock recovery to load it. That way you get to see the error messages.

Is "stock recovery" where I hold the power button and another key or something? Assuming I proceed the way you are suggesting, I don't have to sbf? (still not sure what that all entails) After that I would have .607, is there an update from there to .608?

Thanks for all the help guys; D2G is completely different than when I used to flash ROMS on my RAZR

tgambitg

Reaction score
Is "stock recovery" where I hold the power button and another key or something? Assuming I proceed the way you are suggesting, I don't have to sbf? (still not sure what that all entails) After that I would have .607, is there an update from there to .608?

Thanks for all the help guys; D2G is completely different than when I used to flash ROMS on my RAZR

To enter Stock Recovery:

With the phone off, slide open the keyboard, press and hold the X key, and press the power button. Do not release the X until you are in recovery. Now, depending on your OS version, at the Triangle and !, you will either need to press Vol+ and Vol- at the same time, or hit the magnifying glass button on your physical keyboard (on the left between the microphone and @ keys)

Try updating with the update.zip method, if it still gives errors, then you will have to SBF. The easiest way to do that is with the ezSBF Boot CD method here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/170060-tool-ezsbf-d2g.html

Then you will be able to update with that update.zip and then boot up and get the .608 update (which is like only 14mb).

Look for my instructions previously posted in this thread and follow that (though you could probably skip the TiBu backup and nandroid)

silver6054

Reaction score

Yes, as tgambitg says, x+power button to get in to recovery, then the search key (as you are still on Froyo). Use volume up/volume down to navigate to the menu item about update.zip and use the camera button to select.

IF this works (and it almost certainly won't because the OTA failed) then yes, you will be 4.5.607 and can then do a similar thing with the update file for going to .608. But the reason for trying this is so that you can see any error messages as to why the update failed. As others have said, it may well be because of the use of clockwork recovery. (Initiating it twice overwrites all good versions of one of the files, so doing the cleanup doesn't work).

Let us know what error (if any) you get. You may then have to SBF. tgambitg describes one way of doing it, if you have Windows XP for example, some find using RSDLite at least as easy. But first let's see what you get!

lwags67

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on stock recovery, but I need the answer on how to enter bootloader when starting up.

tgambitg

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on stock recovery, but I need the answer on how to enter bootloader when starting up.

open the physical keyboard, press the UP key, the actual up, so the one touching the enter and ok keys... and press power.

silver6054

Reaction score
To enter the bootloader, power the phone off. Then press the up arrow on the keyboard while holding down the power key. This is described in SBF - The DROID Wiki

Note that this is for doing an SBF, you shouldn't be in bootloader for trying the update files.

Edit: Sorry, wrong issue, you are trying to SBF! Our stock recovery info was for Keebler...

Keebler86

Reaction score
To enter Stock Recovery:

With the phone off, slide open the keyboard, press and hold the X key, and press the power button. Do not release the X until you are in recovery. Now, depending on your OS version, at the Triangle and !, you will either need to press Vol+ and Vol- at the same time, or hit the magnifying glass button on your physical keyboard (on the left between the microphone and @ keys)

Try updating with the update.zip method, if it still gives errors, then you will have to SBF. The easiest way to do that is with the ezSBF Boot CD method here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/170060-tool-ezsbf-d2g.html

Then you will be able to update with that update.zip and then boot up and get the .608 update (which is like only 14mb).

Look for my instructions previously posted in this thread and follow that (though you could probably skip the TiBu backup and nandroid)

From Android system recovery I have selected the update.zip option with the following results:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/caller

--Install from sdcard...
..Finding update package...
.Opening update package....
Verifying update package...
Installing update......Verifying current system.........assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper",[hexidecimal]","[more hexidecimal]")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Well Silver6054, it looks like you are correct. The update.zip did not go through and it appears that my logwrapper (<-who came up with this name?) file is to blame. Looks like my next course of action is to learn about sbf... ;)

Again thanks for the help

tgambitg

Reaction score
From Android system recovery I have selected the update.zip option with the following results:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/caller

--Install from sdcard...
..Finding update package...
.Opening update package....
Verifying update package...
Installing update......Verifying current system.........assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper",[hexidecimal]","[more hexidecimal]")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Well Silver6054, it looks like you are correct. The update.zip did not go through and it appears that my logwrapper (<-who came up with this name?) file is to blame. Looks like my next course of action is to learn about sbf... ;)

Again thanks for the help

Looks like you had the Bootstrapper installed...

If you have root explorer, or some other root file manager, go to system/bin directory.
Delete the hijack file, and then delete the logwrapper file, and rename the logwrapper.bin file to logwrapper.

That should fix that error.