Garmin App

g8gt2012

Reaction score
So I just saw a commercial for the new Garmin/Android cell phone and I was wondering if it is possible to port the Garmin GPS app to our phones.

Can't find a video right now but here's the product page.

him

Reaction score
Saw that same commercial...wasn't impressed. The were touting things that any android phone can do. Just hope map updates will be free...

AquaDan88

Reaction score
I don't believe so. The commercial is for the Garmin NuviFone on AT&T. I believe it's based on Android, however, I don't believe there's any stand alone app that Garmin will release.

gpsmapper

Reaction score
No, there's no app. There was an AT&T "nuvifone" running a custom Linux OS. The new one is the T-Mobile "Garminfone" running Android 1.6.

techguru

Reaction score
After Garmin released their first Palm integrated GPS, they then released the software. Same with WinMo. We can hope they follow the same trend with Android (although they seem to have discontinued the Winmo software recently.. Hopefully just between releases). I prefer the accuracy of Garmin's Navteq maps even though I appreciate Google providing free navigation. It is not nearly as accurate as my Garmin's which are worth every penny they cost me.

Alan

kastein

Reaction score
agreed....I really miss the garmin program that I had on my storm.....actually sold my handheld gps after finding that software

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
g8gt2012

g8gt2012

Reaction score
Oh, I thought it might have been a standalone app that could be ported but after watching the commercial again, it looks like that the 'phone' is GPS first and foremost and then everything follows suit.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the Google GPS is awesome, first GPS type product I've used, but I have heard plenty of good things about Garmin.

But if it can't be done it's no big deal because honestly I don't use the GPS that much, just thought it'd be pretty cool to have.

Taegost

Reaction score
While having a Garmin app would be cool, if they charge for it, I couldn't bring myself to pay for it, when Google Maps works perfectly fine as GPS software (MUCH better then my TomTom) and it's free ;)

OP
g8gt2012

g8gt2012

Reaction score
I haven't gotten lost, but went on some interesting detours when I used Maps. But if we had to pay for Garmin, I wouldn't even consider it. Because if I was going to pay for a GPS service I'd just use OnStar.

techguru

Reaction score
I find the difference in accuracy between google maps and Garmin (which uses Navteq) worth paying for. Google used to use Navteq but lost the contract when they decided to give free navigation.