Gapless playback w/ music

blu1080

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if there was a way to have gapless audio like itunes does. I downloaded a few music player apps including mixzing but none have fixed this problem. It can be really annoying when two songs are supposed to gradually flow together and there is big pause. Thanks in advance!:)

aW8

Reaction score
Not 100% on this but I believe the reason why the iPod/Apple products are able to crossfade songs is based on their internal flash memory. May be someone on here can further explain the rational behind why that is but that's what I've heard on other sites/searches.

Balthazar B

Reaction score
It's not a matter of crossfading (crossfading ≠ gapless), it's a matter of having the playback application understand the gapless tags added to MP3 (or FLAC, or AAC, etc.) files and doing the right thing.

It's not rocket science, but it's emblematic of the immaturity of the Android ecosystem that nobody has released a decent playback app that can do gapless (not a dig at Android especially; it took Apple years to engineer iTunes correctly). But until someone does, in terms of media at least, Android will play second fiddle to iOS, regardless of iTunes's shortcomings.

rbman5

Reaction score
I know it is a horrible chore to do but you can convert your audio library to OGG which has gapless support in it. MP3 does not have gap-less support. Players like Ipod and others just compensate for the added silence in mp3's to deliver gapless playback.

Balthazar B

Reaction score
Technically, you're correct that the MP3 format does not natively support gapless encoding (and yes, Ogg and WMA and a few other formats do).

But practically speaking, when LAME is used for encoding and gapless tags are included, any decoder that understands LAME tags will do gapless playback (and any player on ANY platform that does NOT understand LAME tags should be hounded to oblivion). Despite Apple's best efforts, MP3 is far and away the most common and portable lossy audiofile format, and LAME is probably the most common encoder (certainly aside from iTunes and WMP), so IMHO that's a better alternative than Ogg-encoding gapless music files (despite Ogg's greater moral purity).

silk

Reaction score
The sad thing about this is the media framework used in Android, OpenCORE, has been updated to support gapless playback. But Google hasn't moved to the latest version of OpenCORE yet.

Balthazar B

Reaction score
Do you happen to know whether the most recent OpenCORE is encapsulated into Froyo?

silk

Reaction score
Not yet. The gap seems shorter in Froyo but its not gapless. I put a bugzilla thing on Sapphire to see if those guys might try putting the latest OpenCORE (2.0.7) in their ROM but it doesn't look like anythings been done yet.

I collect live music. So I'm really wanting gapless playback. Museek works okay but then just freezes after 90 minutes on my phone.

faithmusic

Reaction score
Not yet. The gap seems shorter in Froyo but its not gapless. I put a bugzilla thing on Sapphire to see if those guys might try putting the latest OpenCORE (2.0.7) in their ROM but it doesn't look like anythings been done yet.

I collect live music. So I'm really wanting gapless playback. Museek works okay but then just freezes after 90 minutes on my phone.

I hope Museek fixes the "freeze" problem real soon. I noticed there is a way of changing the 1000sm in the gapless settings, but I don't think it actually does anything. Has anyone had any success with this?

:icon_eek:

Stories

Reaction score

I hope Museek fixes the "freeze" problem real soon. I noticed there is a way of changing the 1000sm in the gapless settings, but I don't think it actually does anything. Has anyone had any success with this?

I have, but the problem is that the changing of the gapless setting is simply guesswork. It's not consistent across every album that I've ripped. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't delete all the silence, sometimes it overlaps into the next track. it's irritating, really.

faithmusic

Reaction score

I have, but the problem is that the changing of the gapless setting is simply guesswork. It's not consistent across every album that I've ripped. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't delete all the silence, sometimes it overlaps into the next track. it's irritating, really.

So true. Does anyone know if there is a better player that will handle gapless smoothly? For the Droid?
Thanks.

Cunha

Reaction score
Bringing this back up rather than make a new thread.

Is there any progress on this? Totally ridiculous. Every album I really love gets obliterated by senseless pauses between songs.

silk

Reaction score
I'm keep hoping Gingerbread (2.3) fixes it but I haven't seen anything that says it will. I remember reading a few months ago that Google would release it's music service at the same time as Gingerbread, so maybe there's a chance.