GameStop to Build Android Gaming Tablet & Maybe a Special Controller

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gamestop-store-front.jpg

Apparently, GameStop sees a future for even more games in Android tablets. In fact, the gaming retailer is currently planning their own branded Android tablet, and is testing a custom controller for the device. To be clear, GameStop isn't developing the tab themselves, but rather GameStop President Tony Bartel, indicated that the tablet should be a “GameStop-certified gaming platform” sold in stores. There were no specifics given as to which manufacturer was building for GameStop. Furthermore, there were no details revealed on specs, pricing or availability yet.

Bartel indicated in an interview, “We definitely have selected one. We’re in test phase right now. But we’re excited at the prospect of coming out with this tablet. I would call it a ‘GameStop-certified gaming platform.’ We looked at all the tablets and these are the ones that really worked for gaming and we’re going to give you a few benefits that you’re not going to get elsewhere.”

Although few details were released, we do know:
  • The tablet will run Android
  • It will have pre-installed games
  • GameStop plans to stream console titles to the slate sometime in the future
  • Gamestop is working on a custom controller for the tablet to work with the streaming console games
According to the report, GameStop plans to release the tablet sometime next year. What do you guys think? Could this be one of the first big steps toward tablets replacing consoles for gaming?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via BGR

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe Tony Bartel is the jerk that bought all the HP Touchpads during the fire sale and he's now waiting for the Android port.... hahaha

gravebelly

Reaction score
I will pass as well. Awaiting microsoft 8 tablet next year and perhaps windows 8 phone. I am an xbox live player so I cant imagine how MS will not have the tablet that will fit my bill in the future. Who knows though maybe the gamestop tab will be great.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think tablets will ever replace console games, until they are powerful enough to compete with PC (they are starting to get damn close) soon we will be walking around with that paper from BSG that you can use like a phone or computer, and just fold it up and throw it away. Who knows though, if the controller is sold separately that could be kinda cool and actual blue tooth made for android controller.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work. I'm sure porting console games to a low-power tablet is going to be hard as heck. Unless this is going to have a i5 like the new Samsung Series 7 tab (I WANT) I doubt it will be good.

jseah

Reaction score
I get my Call of Duty's preordered from there, I have no use for anything else. :)

What I hate about preordering games from there is they charge you $5 for the preorder, and then when you go to pick up the game, they charge you the same $60 that other retailers charge, so basically you are paying $5 more than just showing up at the store on the day the game is released.

bobotoimp

Reaction score
What I hate about preordering games from there is they charge you $5 for the preorder, and then when you go to pick up the game, they charge you the same $60 that other retailers charge, so basically you are paying $5 more than just showing up at the store on the day the game is released.

That's the tax, just pay a little at a time to bring the cost down when you go to pick it up, hell I'm done paying for MW3.

Sent by the one and only Chitownbrez!!!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

rofl, as the other guy said they are only charging you 55+ tax, I've preorder and paid off a lot of games, I currently have 130 put down on the new star wars xbox 360, I had to put 50 down minimum to pre-order it, same with the collectors edition of SW:TOR

Reaction score
Well, I usually preorder it there and then go across the street to Walmart and buy it... Smaller lines. Then 3 months later I get my money back from GS or apply it to a different game. :)