1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Games only mode - home switcher

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by ccartertn, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ccartertn

ccartertn New Member

Currently, I use Launcher Pro and am quite satisfied with it.

Yesterday on a road trip to a soccer game, I let my daughter play some games on the Droid X to pass the time. She accidentally added and removed some shortcuts and widgets from one or more of my screens.
    No real damage as I was quite familiar with my layout and easily put it back like I wanted.

So, I got to thinking that I could use another Launcher that only had games on it. I could home switch to it and give to her.
    A couple of points:
    • Is there a launcher that is screen-write protected - cannot add or delete programs / widgets to it without password or some other security?
    • Have to be able to hide but still get to home switcher to get back to other launcher.
    What are other alternatives? Any gotchas in this setup before I research?

CC
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

That's a good idea, but Home Switcher doesn't support Froyo (presuming you have it). With Froyo, you can't change the defaut Home, but you can "Launch" another Home, and when you go press Home you go back to your default. If you don't have Froyo, keep the Home Switcher app in the Launcher, not on the screen.

You could use ADW, for example and have only games there like you suggested. Unfortunately I don't know of a Home that has all the other security. Perhaps there's an app.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

His profile says he has a DX, and we all know that doesn't have FroYo :p
  4. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Yeah, I noticed that after I answered and modified my answer. But when he does, he'll know what to expect. ;) Still the idea he suggested is sound.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  5. ccartertn

ccartertn New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Car dock 2 (BIG icons) is close to what I want - it actually acts like a home launcher. However, it is too easy to exit out of it and back to the default home.

After I posted the original post, I was on a different soccer road trip with my older son and he was testing some new games I downloaded. At one point I said "What game are you looking at now?" he replied: "I'm looking at your calendar..."

I will keep researching.
    CC