Gallery Refresh takes forever and never really completes correctly

nateccnn

Reaction score
In my Gallery app every time I open it it says it is loading new photos. It takes a long time and when it stops it only shows thumbnails for a couple of the folders. I go into one of the folders and it has to refresh all those thumbnails again and that takes for ever and some of the thumbnails show blank gray boxes. I click on a thumbnail and then go back and the thumbnailas are all out of order with gaps and more missing thumbnails.

I deleted the thumbnails directory but the next time the Gallery opens and it rebuilds them it ends up exactly the same.

How can I make the Gallery work properly? Any other photo viewer works flawlessly. It can't be the pictures, right?

Nate

dboss007

Reaction score
In my Gallery app every time I open it it says it is loading new photos. It takes a long time and when it stops it only shows thumbnails for a couple of the folders. I go into one of the folders and it has to refresh all those thumbnails again and that takes for ever and some of the thumbnails show blank gray boxes. I click on a thumbnail and then go back and the thumbnailas are all out of order with gaps and more missing thumbnails.

I deleted the thumbnails directory but the next time the Gallery opens and it rebuilds them it ends up exactly the same.

How can I make the Gallery work properly? Any other photo viewer works flawlessly. It can't be the pictures, right?

Nate

Are you using any sort of a cache cleaner? If so, that could be your problem. I THINK the cache for the gallery is on the SD Card so if you're removing cache from that location it could be your problem.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I agree. No need to run a cache cleaner as cache will help your phone access it faster.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

Cirnoskire

Reaction score
I'm also having problems with the gallery. Cache or no cache it sucks. For new pictures and folders, moved pictures and folders, and any other change I do to my collection I have to reboot the phone to show.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

mryourmom

Reaction score
I had the same problem, its mainly due to having large files on ur sd card (eg Movies or videos) i had a copy of braveheart (2 or 3 gig movie) and took the phone forever to load the gallery. i havnt found a work around except to delete the movie.

Cirnoskire

Reaction score
I had the same problem, its mainly due to having large files on ur sd card (eg Movies or videos) i had a copy of braveheart (2 or 3 gig movie) and took the phone forever to load the gallery. i havnt found a work around except to delete the movie.

Does that explain the deleted folders and media still in gallery and the new or renamed folders and media not in gallery? Because I'm having that kind of problem.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
I do not use a cache cleaner. Once in a while I will wipe cache through SPRecovery, but that is rare and few a far between. Any other guesses?

Nate