GALLERY Help/Suggestions

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I was never a big photo taker, photoshop, photo customizing person. And, really only take photos.

I have photos and videos from my phone and from my Sony camera. It is nice to have those on my PC at home and on my phone so I can show or send them, when not at home.

I never paid attention to there being tons of "Gallery" apps. I did not even realize that the one on my phone was a Motorola product. I was going to "save to My Gallery", a photo that was sent to me via text. Surprisingly, I got a pop-up message of:

"Prompt-Your space is full. If you want to get more spaces, please click Upgrade!"

I have tons of storage space on my phone.
I never located an UPGRADE option to click.
I don't understand how the app would limit the storage space and why?

So, maybe I am the only one using the Motorola app for a gallery.

I see where "ROLL" is a gallery app that is recommended. And, am trying it. I did not see where or what it does with my videos from my phone and my Sony camera, though.

Basically, I wanted to see if anyone understands the "upgrade option" of Motorola's gallery app. And, what others think is a good gallery app to try or use (and if they will include my videos...so I can access them and send them like I have been with the Motorola gallery.

I never really had any problems or complaints with the Motorola gallery, until this space thing came up. Of course, I may be too dumb to know that I should have been using something much better all along!

Thanks for the help and replies.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Are you sure you are using the newest (official) Motorola Gallery App?

Motorola Gallery - Android Apps on Google Play

I am using it on all 4 Moto phones in my home and none of us have seen a message to "Upgrade". My wife has over 14 GB of pics and videos on her Moto X and they are all visible / usable with the Moto Gallery app. I just showed her how to make a highlight reel the other day.

How much total free space is available on your phone currently? It sounds like an another app thinks it is the default storage app for pics & videos.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I do have the newest version.

I have 2.55GB of photos and videos, literally no music. I have 7GB of free space.

I email the Motorola gallery folks at their email associated with the app page.

I don't know if an uninstall and reinstall will do any good.

I'll see what they say, too.

Thank you for the help.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hmmmm, that is strange. Just curious, when you get the picture text, do your save options look like this? This is what I see when I long press the pic inside the text. I don't have an Add To Gallery option.
222bbcfcea13e79decf8b86ab56d41ab.jpg

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have your photos automatically backing up somewhere? Better put, have you disabled auto backup anywhere? It sounds as if a cloud service is saying your space is full. It could be Dropbox if it came installed on your phone and you've ever used it ( Iuse it to offload phone photos copies and they deposit another copy on my desktop), could be your carriers space allotted to you, Amazon Cloud, again if you've ever used it.
I'm not familiar enough with Moto phones to know if they offer a backup service to any cloud storage but it sounds like the prompt you got is for backup somewhere.
Oh I use Quikpic instead of my stock phone gallery and have been happy with it for years on numerous Android devices
Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
This is what I get for choices
And since we have no SD card, I have no idea what happens if I chose that option.

Last edited:
OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Not as far as I know.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It looks like you are using a play store app for texting, not the stock app. I am guessing that whatever app you use for texting has its own "Gallery" folder. And that folder / app has a size limit and that is what is prompting you to "upgrade". The app probably has a paid version that can hold more pics.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When you open the Gallery app, what folder do you see pics in that were saved from a text? I see them in the Download folder, along with all pics saved from E Mails, web, forums, etc. Does your texting app have a special folder where it stores pics?

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
If I get a text with a pic or video attached and click on "copy to SD card", and open Motorola Gallery, it is in the DOWNLOAD , folder.

So, you may me onto something, as I just did the above without any "full" notification.

When u have had the problem, and hit "save to my gallery", it must be trying to store it in Handcent's "my gallery", as I use Handcent as my text app.

Again, choosing ,"save to SD card" is, indeed, placing the pic into Motorola My Gallery.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The save to SD Card is actually saving to the internal / writeable memory area. Its called Device SD Card since it is the space we can use. If you stick with that option you should have the full amount of free storage available to save to.

Edit: I just read an article on line from someone with similar questions. It sounds like Handcent uses a folder named "My Gallery" for pics and videos and that's what the Add To My Gallery option does....saves the file to the Handcent My Gallery folder. The Save To SD Card option will save the attachments to the phones Download folder, which has no size restrictions (other than the phone being full).

Last edited:
OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thanks for the help, mountainbikermark and sajokaz!

The problem, was indeed, when I was choosing "save to my gallery", it was Handcent's My Gallery and not Motorola's My Gallery. Apparently, there is a limited space for saving pics to Handcent's. And, they will gladly sell you more space.

When I clicked on "save to SD card", the pics were being saved to Motorola's My Gallery and no further notifications of space is full.

So, the information was exactly correct and solved my problems. I never would have figured that out.

I appreciate the help, the troubleshooting, the intuitive problem solving, the having to read and reply to multiple posts, the time and the effort. Gave you kudos through ratings!

Thanks again!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You are welcome @TxDoc! Glad we were able to help. These smart phones we carry can sometimes outsmart the best of us. :D One of the things that makes this forum awesome is the great people that help each other out.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, mountainbikermark and sajokaz!

The problem, was indeed, when I was choosing "save to my gallery", it was Handcent's My Gallery and not Motorola's My Gallery. Apparently, there is a limited space for saving pics to Handcent's. And, they will gladly sell you more space.

When I clicked on "save to SD card", the pics were being saved to Motorola's My Gallery and no further notifications of space is full.

So, the information was exactly correct and solved my problems. I never would have figured that out.

I appreciate the help, the troubleshooting, the intuitive problem solving, the having to read and reply to multiple posts, the time and the effort. Gave you kudos through ratings!

Thanks again!
Just for posterity, Motorola gallery just views media. If you insert an external sdcard with media on it, that will show up in the gallery too. You can save media in any folder and gallery will find it unless there is a .nomedia file in that folder.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Just for posterity, Motorola gallery just views media. If you insert an external sdcard with media on it, that will show up in the gallery too. You can save media in any folder and gallery will find it unless there is a .nomedia file in that folder.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Thank you, Barkleyfan. I will file that away and, hopefully, recall that if I or someone else has similar problems. Have a great weekend.