Gallery doesn't work

johninbigd

Reaction score
I've been running 4.2 since it came out and I didn't notice this until recently. My gallery no longer works. It immediately closes when I try to open it. I've tried clearing the app data, but that didn't help.

Any idea what might be wrong? Is there a simple way to just reinstall the gallery app or something?

joeydvdz

Reaction score
Just re-flashed 4.2 on my phone, can't say I noticed the gallery not working. Did you install anything prior to the gallery not working that you can recall?

OP
J

johninbigd

Reaction score
Just re-flashed 4.2 on my phone, can't say I noticed the gallery not working. Did you install anything prior to the gallery not working that you can recall?

I can't recall installing much that would interact with the Gallery. My son has installed some games. In the past few weeks, I've installed Sound Hound, Win Amp, Power Amp, Amazon Kindle, and a guitar tuner. I'm stumped as to why Gallery crashes.

DroidedMoto

Reaction score
I've been running 4.2 since it came out and I didn't notice this until recently. My gallery no longer works. It immediately closes when I try to open it. I've tried clearing the app data, but that didn't help.

Any idea what might be wrong? Is there a simple way to just reinstall the gallery app or something?

I've had the same issue on a couple of different roms. To fix you can download "Gallery 3d" (Free) from the market, open it and it let it load all of your media. After it finishes loading go through each folder, there will be some pics or video that are greyed out and the thumbnail will not show, meaning that it is a bad file. After they're deleted it will go back to working.

Hope this helps, I've had it happen quite a few times, I believe its due to a 3rd party camera app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
J

johninbigd

Reaction score
The Gallery 3D app works just great! I haven't found any greyed-out images or videos yet, but I'll just keep using this app and not worry about it. :)

Thanks!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed...3D gallery is nice. I had a few times where the regular gallery booted me out also. Usually a reboot fixed it. No issues since 3D though.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\