Gallery concerns

Reaction score
Hey gang,

1. Is there a way to prevent Gallery from automatically importing any photos transferred to the Droid? Initially I was excited to discover ASTRO, and I quickly organized many of my folders to mirror how I stored information on my old smart phone. To my displeasure, Gallery automatically imported all of the photos I placed into folders.

2. Can the program be shut off and or deleted?

3. What if any alternate applications are out there?

Thanks,

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can hide folders and their contents from the Media app. Just add a "." (period) to the beginning of the folder. Example = ".hidden files" will not show up in Gallery, but "hidden files" would. The period hides folders :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

1. Is there a way to prevent Gallery from automatically importing any photos transferred to the Droid? Initially I was excited to discover ASTRO, and I quickly organized many of my folders to mirror how I stored information on my old smart phone. To my displeasure, Gallery automatically imported all of the photos I placed into folders.

2. Can the program be shut off and or deleted?

3. What if any alternate applications are out there?

Thanks,

I don't believe you can just delete the Gallery. It's probably something you'll have to live with and just manage your files with Astro.

Edit: Martin gave a great answer. Seems like there should be something simpler though.

OP

Reaction score
Thanks Martin! I will try that asap!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
PhotoSafe is an app that will allow you to hide photos. It's costs a dollar I believe.... just another option :)

OP

Reaction score
I attempted to put a period in front of the folders in question but in each attempt I get an error message that says; "You must type a file name"

The folder name is ".wpd511"

What am I missing?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I attempted to put a period in front of the folders in question but in each attempt I get an error message that says; "You must type a file name"

The folder name is ".wpd511"

What am I missing?
Try mounting your Droid to your computer and changing the folder name from your PC.
Also there is another option.... you can create a blank file named ".nomedia" and drop that into the folder in question. It's supposed to hide the entire folder :)

Here's a couple threads to help out -
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/1061-hiding-pics.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/13953-how-can-you-hide-pictures.html

OP

Reaction score
I was attempting to do this from my pc. I'm on a wimdows XP Operating system. From what I just read in another forum Windows XP place restrictions on which characters are allowed to be used in file/folder names. i.e. no "." in front of folders Dang it!!!
http://http://www.xvsxp.com/files/forbidden.php

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Download EStrongs File Explorer from the Market. It will allow you to add periods to the folders on your SD card. :) I can confirm it works.

OP

Reaction score
Sure appreciate your help Martin!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me know if it works for ya.... just wanna make sure you got it resolved :)

OP

Reaction score
Prior to reading your “Estrongs” tip, I returned to the droid and successfully renamed the folders in question. It worked perfectly <almost> lol…….. I checked in the Gallery and I was very pleased to see everything cleaned up perfectly!
I then returned to my newly “hidden” folders only to discover I can’t see them (obviously) but cannot figure out how to make them viewable to me again…This is frickin hilarious.
My immediate after thought was: damn, I should have asked Martin how to make folders viewable again

I'm currently using ASTRO file manager

OP

Reaction score
I am happy to report that I located "show hidden files" under; preferences>look and feel>show hidden files

yeaaahoo!!

Thanks again Martin for all your help! You provided the solution to one of my major dislikes of the phone. And as I figured, it wasn't the phone, it was the operator!!