Gallery App using lots of data?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by cjriddle22, Jan 15, 2012.

1. cjriddle22

cjriddle22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I checked my verizon data usage and noticed that I was using alot more data that usual (yes I realize 4g is fast). I am on wifi probably 90% of the time though. I do not have instant upload enabled for g+. I did have sync google photos checked, but I am not sure where they sync to?

I went into the gallery app, and it is set to sync over wifi only anyways, so I am not sure what is going on. Anyone else seeing this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I didn't even know the gallery uses data. Unless G+ auto upload has to do with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

3. duke69111

duke69111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed the same thing the other day. I am only 10 days in and the gallary app has used 200mb of data. I do not have have google+ auto upload either. I just have my google picasa account syncing to my phone. Which I love by the way. :)

My assumption is that it is the gallary app downloading the photos for the preview screen when you open the gallary...

4. cjriddle22

cjriddle22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right after I created the thread I went into Settings > Accounts & Sync > Click on my Google Account and unchecked Sync Google Photos. The gallery app has since used zero data and I have noticed nothing different. I did have the gallery set to sync over wifi only, but it was not doing that.

So what is Sync Google Photos? Picasa?

5. devildog9999

devildog9999 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THIS is really irritating to me... I just found out that I had hundreds of pics uploaded to picassa!!! I never even knew they were there. And to boot, there is no way to delete the Picassa account, as it is just a service tied to your google account. There are a LOT of pictures that were uploaded to this "gallery" that was set to public that I would have never even shared. Thanks for the heads up on this - you need to turn off the Auto Sync!

6. duke69111

duke69111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yeah the sync google photos is the sync for picasa photo. I like it as i dont have to keep the photos on my sd and the data usage does not bother me. I would like to know why the data usage is so high when i have not added any new photos and i am not viewing the photos.

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I can imagine this could get someone in trouble.

Seems a little silly they would enable this by default, especially dumping it to a public gallery at that. It would a little better if it uploaded to a private gallery by default.

8. duke69111

duke69111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am pretty sure that picassa gives you the option to set public or private when you create an album.. Also google+ asks asks if you want to auto upload photos you take.

Search tags for this page
android gallery data usage

android gallery using data

gallery using data

gallery using data android
how does my gallery use data
my gallery using data
verizon my gallery data usage

why does gallery use data

why does my gallery use data

why is gallery using data