Galaxy Tab Price Drop To $499

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
galaxytabprice.jpg

The Galaxy Tab is one of the first and questionable the best Android tablets in the market, besides that it seem the best is getting a price cut. This price cut that is in the manner of $100 dollars comes just in time for Christmas. This change brings the price of the Tab down to a prettier $499 range without a contact. This price drop makes this device a much more economical buy next to the iPad, and just generally a better purchase.

While this is without a contact you will be required to have at least a month of service from Verizon Wireless and here is how much you will be paying for that month.
$20/month for 1GB
$35/month for 3GB
$50/month for 5GB
$80/month for 8GB

Now doesn't this sound like a good deal to you? I think this is where the device should’ve been priced for at launch.

News via: AndroidCentral

GrillMouster

Reaction score
It was just a matter of time for the price to drop. Now keep dropping.

They can talk about the superiority of the Tab's specs until they're blue in the face. To compete with the iPad for the general population's money it needs to be cheaper than the most basic iPad. I'll consider buying one when the price drops to $349. I'll probably own one when it drops to $299 or $249 without a contract (or as part of an affordable family share data plan). Problem is, once that happens, how do they justify $599 phones?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks wen! I was on costco.com last night and saw this price, and couldn't figure it out. Now it makes sense.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I guess you could say hindsight is 20-20. :)

Posted by yours truly on 9/17/2010:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-verizons-first-mobile-tablet.html#post835942

The screen at 7 inch - 1024 x 600 is perfect for a tablet in my mind. I'm wondering about the cost for the WiFi model though. I think it was reported that the 3G one would be $699 w/o a contract. Based on the iPad difference, the WiFi model might be between $500 and $600. I think I'd have to wait for the price to drop if that is the case.

I also wonder if the battery is a replaceable one. That's a lot of money for me to spend and throw away if the battery goes.
Yep, $699 announced yesterday:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/81193-samsung-galaxy-tab-available-pre-order.html

Gave me sticker shock and that's putting it mildly. But the consensus on the thread is that's the "early adopter" price. If so, I think $400-$500 for the WiFi model is a little more...reasonable. :) *fingers crossed*

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I will buy one if it drops to $250... other than that, it's simply not worth it.
Remember, $499 is the Galaxy with 3G. Next year you'll see the wifi-only version for...I'll guess...$300. OK, if it's Samsung, probably more like $400.

For $250, you're talking about the Nook Color. Spec-wise, in fact, these two devices are not far apart (overlooking 3G, GPS, and camera).

-Matt

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I will buy one if it drops to $250... other than that, it's simply not worth it.
Remember, $499 is the Galaxy with 3G. Next year you'll see the wifi-only version for...I'll guess...$300. OK, if it's Samsung, probably more like $400.

For $250, you're talking about the Nook Color. Spec-wise, in fact, these two devices are not far apart (overlooking 3G, GPS, and camera).

-Matt

I have my eyes set on the New Moto Tab, or possibly that Notion Ink Tab... Or anything comparable that debuts at CES. I'm willing to spend $600 on a Tab if it's worth it...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
$200 more and it will be mine.

DaHarder

Reaction score
A fantastic device now made a pretty great value - IMO.

Lower Price/No Contract/Wifi/3G/16gb/GPS/expandable store/two cameras/Android 2.x/Full Google Experience App support = More Samsung Galaxy Goodness for the masses - WhooHoo!

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
A fantastic device now made a pretty great value - IMO.

Lower Price/No Contract/Wifi/3G/16gb/GPS/expandable store/two cameras/Android 2.x/Full Google Experience App support = More Samsung Galaxy Goodness for the masses - WhooHoo!

3G and No Contract... don't go together...

mza929

Reaction score
I love android - but until honeycomb comes out - and they make a tab that is a little bigger, the ipad is a better value at $499 then the galexy tab is.

G

Grimster

This Galaxy Tablet sucks. $500 is a joke. In 2 months there will be a massive flood of Tegra 2 based tablets which will be 3-4 times as fast as the Galaxy Tablet for the same if not less price. Dont be STUPID folks.