Galaxy Tab : Gingerbread

GolfEducator

Reaction score
The 2.3.3 Gingerbread is great...

However, the standard link that you gave to upgrade it is written in semi broken English, and is incomplete. I gave up on it!! Try others by searching Google for how to's.

If you're using your link, move carefully and read the directions several times.

For example: It mentions that you must have dbdata.tar to complete the upgrade but it doesn't tell you that you must download it on-line. (do a search to find and download/extract it to your desktop with your other files extracted)

Good luck! :)

Golf Educator

Last edited:
OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
The 2.3.3 Gingerbread is great...

However, the standard link that you gave to upgrade it is written in semi broken English, and is incomplete. I gave up on it!! Try others by searching Google for how to's.

If you're using your link, move carefully and read the directions several times.

For example: It mentions that must have Home.tar to complete the upgrade but it doesn't tell you that you must download it on-line. (do a search to find and download it)

Good luck! :)

Golf Educator

let me know if you find the better directiions online. There's a couple so the one above seems like its' the best one. if you find something better, please post it up.

also, did you do kies way or odin way?

GolfEducator

Reaction score
Use Odin...

Kies must be off! Only use Kies to update and install the drivers to your device. Make sure your device works, afterwards!

Again, don't rush things. The actual process is done in minutes, but the preparation because of poor or incomplete directions took me hours, which made it frustrating for me. However, once you learn it, it is easy, and you'll also be able to root the GT using the same Odin system, afterwards.

I'll pick out a better set of directions for you after work, today. However, there is at least a 5 hour time difference from me to you, as I am assigned to the UK.

Be patient...

Golf Educator

OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
Use Odin...

Kies must be off! Only use Kies to update and install the drivers to your device. Make sure your device works, afterwards!

Again, don't rush things. The actual process is done in minutes, but the preparation because of poor or incomplete directions took me hours, which made it frustrating for me. However, once you learn it, it is easy, and you'll also be able to root the GT using the same Odin system, afterwards.

I'll pick out a better set of directions for you after work, today. However, there is at least a 5 hour time difference from me to you, as I am assigned to the UK.

Be patient...

Golf Educator

Thx man. Btw will this work on any tab? I have the sprint. Pass the direction over once you get it. Thx for the help.

GolfEducator

Reaction score
Hi!

With your question on the Sprint GT you'll need to ask the experts. I loaded Gingerbread 2.3.3 on my GT International free version, from the UK, rooted it, and it is working perfectly! I love it...

I tried three versions of how-to's and gave up on the first two, as they were confusing and incomplete. I suggest using this one:

How To Install Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread ROM On Samsung Galaxy Tab

However, even this one is incomplete, as it leads you to believe that you will download and extract all the files needed, and it doesn't.

I suggest first searching for the dbdata.tar file in Google, and downloading it to extract on your desktop.

The addictivetips directions will also eventually give you the following .tar file if you select the version with bootloader:

P1000XXQ1_P100XXJQ1_P1000XXJPZ_home.tar

Odin will need both of those .tar files, as well as the other .pit files on your desktop, but only on a temporary basis.

I also suggest that you make sure that your device is updated with current, appropriate device files. I downloaded the Galaxy-S files as suggested, and couldn't get my GT to be enabled. So, I loaded Kies and updated my files with their update program, and it worked. You'll need your GT to be enabled, for Odin to have the ID:com tab turn yellow, confirming that the device files are loaded properly.

Don't forget to turn off your Kies program.

Also, make sure that you are using ODIN7 v1.7, instead of ODIN v1.3!

If you are having trouble getting into the Download and Recovery modes, be sure to release the buttons on your GT, as soon as you see the Galaxy logo.

Now that you are an expert on using Odin, you can use that expertise by using the other addictivetips directions on the same page, using the How to Root your GT link it provides.

Okay, let's give it a try!

Work slowly, work carefully, get organized, and you'll be okay!

I hope this is helpful to you, and for any others trying to update their GTs to Gingerbread!

Let me know how you make out!

Good luck!

Golf Educator

Last edited:
OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
Hi!

With your question on the Sprint GT you'll need to ask the experts. I loaded Gingerbread 2.3.3 on my GT International free version, from the UK, rooted it, and it is working perfectly! I love it...

I tried three versions of how-to's and gave up on the first two, as they were confusing and incomplete. I suggest using this one:

How To Install Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread ROM On Samsung Galaxy Tab

However, even this one is incomplete, as it leads you to believe that you will download and extract all the files needed, and it doesn't.

I suggest first searching for the dbdata.tar file in Google, and downloading it to extract on your desktop.

The addictivetips directions will also eventually give you the following .tar file if you select the version with bootloader:

P1000XXQ1_P100XXJQ1_P1000XXJPZ_home.tar

Odin will need both of those .tar files, as well as the other .pit files on your desktop, but only on a temporary basis.

I also suggest that you make sure that your device is updated with current, appropriate device files. I downloaded the Galaxy-S files as suggested, and couldn't get my GT to be enabled. So, I loaded Kies and updated my files with their update program, and it worked. You'll need your GT to be enabled, for Odin to have the ID:com tab turn yellow, confirming that the device files are loaded properly.

Don't forget to turn off your Kies program.

Also, make sure that you are using ODIN7 v1.7, instead of ODIN v1.3!

If you are having trouble getting into the Download and Recovery modes, be sure to release the buttons on your GT, as soon as you see the Galaxy logo.

Now that you are an expert on using Odin, you can use that expertise by using the other addictivetips directions on the same page, using the How to Root your GT link it provides.

Okay, let's give it a try!

Work slowly, work carefully, get organized, and you'll be okay!

I hope this is helpful to you, and for any others trying to update their GTs to Gingerbread!

Let me know how you make out!

Good luck!

Golf Educator

Thx a lot for putting this together. I'll do a bit more research if I can use these steps on my sprint tab. Thx

Gunslinger

Reaction score
Are those links not for the GSM Tab? All the files and source links refer to the P1000 model, our VZW CDMA tabs are SCH-I800. Can anyone confirm this works on the VZW Tab?

dB Zac

Reaction score
Are those links not for the GSM Tab? All the files and source links refer to the P1000 model, our VZW CDMA tabs are SCH-I800. Can anyone confirm this works on the VZW Tab?

I am wondering the same thing

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk