Galaxy SIII VZW Confirmed grandfathered data (pic inside)

OP
A

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Honestly what you're doing is basically like scalping tickets. Seeing as how I have ethical qualms with it, and that you're hijacking this thread, you're not getting an answer.

I will say this though. You're in the VZW forum. No SIM cards here.

kparks

Reaction score
Wtf u talking about I asked a legitimate question cuz of this new data thing this is my last upgrade before the new plans and I'm doing it so I can afford to buy a phone full retail so i can keep my unlimited data as I don't like samsung phones at all so what's the problem my plan got extended 2 years u think vzw cares what phone i use all they want is that contract extension.. and its vzw 4g it does have a sim card buddy so if u don't know that I'm not sure I want a answer from u anyway! ..

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with buying a phone outright after the 28th and keeping unlimited data.

And keep this thread in check. No more disrespect.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I can't get a answer on that then???

Just ship the phone inactivated and the SIM in the pack still. No need to do anything else with it.

Are you planning on activating it at all before you ship it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kparks

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
Just ship the phone inactivated and the SIM in the pack still. No need to do anything else with it.

Are you planning on activating it at all before you ship it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

No.. when I preordered it I was going to keep it but after thinking I'd rather have a htc phone and this seemed like the best way to acquire one! Cuz if I ship it neverbeen activated what date will my contract go into effect? Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Your new 2 year contract should go into effect the date you order the gs3. You should get a new contract in the mail. When you order the phone, clarify with verizon that your contract with unlimited data does not change just gets renewed.

Many people are doing exactly as you are planning to do... buying the gs3, selling it brand new and using that money towards buying their next new phone at full retail so they can keep their unlimited plans. I can't see that there is anything illegal with this unless you try to sell it as new if it has been used.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

droid doctor

Reaction score
So if I pre order the Samsung Galaxy S3 before June 28 would I be grandfathered into unlimited 4g If I have unlimited 3g now?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, the data plans do not make a distinction between 3g and 4g. It's just unlimited data or tiered data and starting June 28th, shared data... Aargh!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

droid doctor

Reaction score
Because I thought I was stuck either pick another 4g phone now and keep unlimited or get the s3 and have 2gs a month.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
kparks said:
I got a question when I get my gs3 I plan on selling it on eBay do I need to do anything with the sim I'm assuming I ship everything unactivated... I'm keeping my tbolt!! And when I order my next htc phone :) ill just get another sim

When you order your next phone you will have to pay full price for it, don't forget the SG III you are planning to sell "which you bought at a subsidized price" still belongs to Verizon for 2 years "until it is payed off", reason for them locking you in for another two years is so they can recoup the additional $350 for the original price of the phone, someone has to pay Samsung for the device, so by them giving you a break so you can upgrade to a brand spanking new device at a fraction of said devices full retail cost, they lock you in so said device will be paid off in full, THEY are making the payments for YOU at a 2 year rate, of course it is coming out of your account, it's just so you don't have to pay the full price up front, but after two years the phone is payed for BY YOU, and then is yours TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH IT, so you can continue on a month to month basis, unless you buy another subsidized phone, you again will be locked in for two more years " so you can pay for the phones full price at a two year rate, it's like a loan, a two year loan".

Reason Verizon locks people in for two years is so they can recoup the money's for the phone that was sold to you INITIALLY at a subsidized price, someone has to pay for the phone, at it sure is not going to be Verizon, that is why if you BUY a phone at fully price, Verizon does not care if they lock you in for another two years, because the phone is payed for, no risks for them, another reason they bang you for that $350 early termination fee "the termination fee goes down the longer you have the phone", so in case you decide to leave, they still get the money so they can pay off the phone to whom ever vendor they purchased it from. Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony are not in the charity business.

And in regards to your SIM question, I believe the new LTE Sim is build into the chipset, that is the way that Qualcomm will be going with the S4 chipset, it uses less power this way.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
When you order your next phone you will have to pay full price for it, don't forget the SG III you are planning to sell "which you bought at a subsidized price" still belongs to Verizon for 2 years "until it is payed off", reason for them locking you in for another two years is so they can recoup the additional $350 for the original price of the phone, someone has to pay Samsung for the device, so by them giving you a break so you can upgrade to a brand spanking new device at a fraction of said devices full retail cost, they lock you in so said device will be paid off in full, THEY are making the payments for YOU at a 2 year rate, of course it is coming out of your account, it's just so you don't have to pay the full price up front, but after two years the phone is payed for BY YOU, and then is yours TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH IT, so you can continue on a month to month basis, unless you buy another subsidized phone, you again will be locked in for two more years " so you can pay for the phones full price at a two year rate, it's like a loan, a two year loan".

Reason Verizon locks people in for two years is so they can recoup the money's for the phone that was sold to you INITIALLY at a subsidized price, someone has to pay for the phone, at it sure is not going to be Verizon, that is why if you BUY a phone at fully price, Verizon does not care if they lock you in for another two years, because the phone is payed for, no risks for them, another reason they bang you for that $350 early termination fee "the termination fee goes down the longer you have the phone", so in case you decide to leave, they still get the money so they can pay off the phone to whom ever vendor they purchased it from. Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony are not in the charity business.

And in regards to your SIM question, I believe the new LTE Sim is build into the chipset, that is the way that Qualcomm will be going with the S4 chipset, it uses less power this way.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Ok thanks so i just sell the phone and keep using my trusty tbolt.. me buying it already extended my contract another 2 years so when htc has a phone i want I just pay full retail then run the rest of my 2 years out and go month2month from there.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks so i just sell the phone and keep using my trusty tbolt.. me buying it already extended my contract another 2 years so when htc has a phone i want I just pay full retail then run the rest of my 2 years out and go month2month from there.
Exactly.

Lightnspirit

Reaction score
I re-confirmed Unlimited Data

I pre-ordered my Galaxy S3 on 6/14/12.

After reading some posts on VZW's facebook page saying even if you pre order you will still loose the unlimited data because you are activating the phone after the 28th I became worried.. This is incorrect and I reconfirmed it tonight.

I called and spoke to a 611 rep from the US and she confirmed with her supervisor that we will have the unlimited data because when you go to activate your Galaxy S3 it's going to pull the "Plan Features" from your pre-order record. Also your contract starts when your confirm the order on the phone for pre-orders. She confirmed the order on her end and saw the Unlimited Data and she had me double check my pre-order email I got and it does say EMAIL & WEB UNLIMITED $29.99. I feel much better :)

Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB in Blue
$199.99
UPGRADE FEE
$30.00

Discount - New every two
-$50.00
Your Plan
Nationwide Talk & Text - 700
Monthly Line Access
$9.99
Plan Features
TXT MSG W PER MSG CHARGES
CONSUMER PDA
RTR FOR UNLIMITED PLANS $0
DYNAMIC-PRIVATE IP
CALLER ID
WPP ASURION $5.18
4G DATA TRANSPORT
BLOCK PREMIUM SMS
4G APPLICATION ACCESS
4G INTERNET ACCESS
DATA ROAM USA/CANADA
MESSAGE WAITING INDICATOR
VERIZON APPS $0
EMAIL & WEB UNLIMITED $29.99
INTERNATIONAL DIAL ALLOWED-$0
SDM REMOTE QUERY ENABLED
BUSY TRANSFER
3-WAY CALLING
CALL DELIVERY
CALL WAITING
NO ANSWER TRANSFER
CALL FORWARDING
BASIC VOICE MAIL - $0
BACKUP ASST. PLUS 500MB, $0.00
STREAMLINED BILLING - $0
PICTURE MESSAGE PROVISIONING
OTA SOFTWAREUPDATE-$0.00

She also said right now the ship date is the 10th so I'd have it by the 13th worst case.

Smeech

Reaction score
Just to repeat the same thing over and over again :D I received a response from Verizon:

Dear Jon,

That is great that you have pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S III. It's going to be an awesome phone and I am sure you are going to enjoy it. My name is Greg and I will be happy to go over your order information.

You are correct Jon that since you have ordered the phone before the release of our new Share Everything plans, you will keep your unlimited data. I hope you enjoy your new phone and thank you for being a valued Verizon Wireless customer. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Greg

Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.